Complaint Review: Rent Way Now Rent A Center

• Submitted: Sat, June 14, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, December 27, 2012

• Reported By:Palm Harbor Florida
Rent Way Now Rent A Center
4270 ALOMA AVENUE Winter Park, Florida U.S.A.

Rent Way Now Rent A Center I got a criminal record for dealing with Rent Way!! Winter Park Florida

*General Comment: Bologna

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Rental companys cant put you in jail

*Consumer Comment: B.S.

I went into Rent Way, now Rent a Center in June 2004 to rent a living room set. I found what I wanted and it was delivered later that day. This was early June, 2004. By the end of June, I called the store and said I was no longer able to keep the furniture and, according to the agreement, they should come and pick up the furniture. The manager said they would be out, no date, just they would be out.

I continued to phone this store and the manager every few days until I moved at the end of June. I was moving to the other side of the state and in with family. I no longer needed the furniture. I phoned the manager on the day I was moving and the manager, once again, said he would be out to get the furniture.

The next week (early July) I phoned the same store and again, spoke with the manager, he said he had picked up the furniture (sofa, loveseat, coffee table, 2 end tables and 2 lamps). I was advised I was finished with Rent Way. I've never done this before and thought this manager was good for his word. I thought everything was OK until the end of September, 2006 on my way home from work around 11 p.m. and was stopped.

I was arrested, brought to the local jail and then transported to the jail where the alleged crime took place. Three days later I was bonded out. Since I wasn't local (in the area) I was forced to pay the entire bond amount. I went to court numerous times and when it was decided I had a choice, to take a plea or to go to trial, I decided to go to trial until I was advised it would take my showing up every morning to see if there was room for my case to be heard.

I have bad health and my vehicle was not able to be driven 200 miles each day for 2 weeks. I took the plea bargain. I was forced to make restitution, take a theft class and 50 hours of community service. The community service hours were dismissed when I produced a document from my doctor stating my illness.

What a nightmare this was. The Rent Way employee filed a false police report and according to what my public defender said, the manager more than likely either kept the furniture, resold it or gave it to friends.

I am writing a letter to the CEO of Rent a Center, which had already purchased this company when all of this took place. I hope I get a response, but from what I've viewed on here, I doubt I will.

I now have a criminal history and until recently I was on the Department of Corrections website.

I am not able to rent an apartment in any complex, I need to search out individuals and explain to them if they ask what happened. I pay more in security deposit because I was charged as a Felon. Real nice. I hope this Rent Way employee is having a great time with what he did to me and that he literally ruined my life. Thanks a Lot!!

Palm Harbor, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/14/2008 07:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rent-Way-Now-Rent-A-Center/Winter-Park-Florida/Rent-Way-Now-Rent-A-Center-I-got-a-criminal-record-for-dealing-with-Rent-Way-Winter-Park-340335. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rent Way Now Rent A Center

#1 General Comment

AUTHOR: Ken - (United States of America)

I've actually been through the justice system on a drug charge 30 years ago.   If you show up for a hearing, you get your hearing, even if the court has to stay late.  You're not responsible for screaming about the fact that you're moving, but I work in the rent to own business, and they are very careful about picking up their stuff.  They don't issue a warrant without substantial cause.  Not that I would vote for this on a jury (plenty of reasonable doubt), and I am aware that it takes time and money to file a legal defense, in all probability you didn't call them or you tried to just take the stuff and hope they didn't catch up.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Rental companys cant put you in jail

AUTHOR: Yoman - (U.S.A.)

The only way you go to jail is if you dont show up for court because you havent paid your bills and are trying to scam!

It is a civial matter and the police will not do anything about it

So get real!

Ive been doing this for 10 years are you are just another SCAMMER TRYING TO GET AWAY WITH SOMETHING AND NOT PAYING FOR IT!!

AUTHOR: Kanostickler - (U.S.A.)

There is something you're not telling us. That does not just happen the way you described it. What were you charged with? How many counts? What did rent a center say the problem was? Why did you not call the store 5 times a day and demand a pick up date? If they did not answer your questions over the phone why did you not go to the store and tell them "Hey, listen, I AM NOT GOING TO BE IN TOWN AFTER SUCH AND SUCH DATE, YOU NEED TO COME GET YOUR STUFF BEFORE I MOVE OUT!"

It sounds like you tried to be a sheister and got caught.