Complaint Review: Rent a Center

• Updated: Mon, January 30, 2012

• Reported By: RAC in Erie — Erie Pennsylvania United States of America
Rent a Center
Libery Plaza Erie, Pennsylvania United States of America

Rent a Center Rob the Store Manager Ripped us off on a dryer purchase by overcharging our account with fees Erie, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Ripped

*Consumer Comment: RAC

*Consumer Comment: Question:

My story is probably one of the thousands against the company Rent a Center and its employees they hire. Let's face it, the majority of these workers are not very educated. They are given "accounts to manage" which really means take as much money from the consumer as you possibly can. My particular story involves the store manager at the Liberty Plaza location in Erie, Pa. It started a year ago when my wife and I went to RAC to get a dryer from them while she was laid off from Erie's largest employer. Our payment would be just under $20 a week. This has gone on for year now. The dryer should have been ours a month ago. When my wife went into the store to get the final receipt, Rob (mgr.)I tells her she still owes over $200 on the account and when she asks why he says "well its the monthly membership fees for your plus account and late fees and some other fees...Turns out the store signed us uo for Benefits+ Insurance that we NEVER signed for and I seen where RAC lost a lawsuit in NJ for this same tactic. My wife has continued to make payments for the past month until I found out about it yesterday and went to the store. If anyone has dealt with this Rob guy, you know what I'm talking about. He was very unprofessional and threatened to come to my house and get the dryer if we didn't pay what HE says we owe, which for some reason is now $211. That's more than it was a month agao and more than he told my wife we owed 12 Payments ago. After several attempts to resolve this with him, he started threatening me and I asked him if he was "skimming" money from the register. I can't understand what any other cause would be. I came home and called the Customer Service number and Claudia says she will have the District Manager contact me. Has anybody else had issues with Rob. I am considering a civil suit against RAC for theft and deception. Their record speaks for itself. Someone needs to stand up to the ripoff-artists!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/29/2012 07:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rent-a-Center/Erie-Pennsylvania-/Rent-a-Center-Rob-the-Store-Manager-Ripped-us-off-on-a-dryer-purchase-by-overcharging-our-830560. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rent a Center

Ripped

AUTHOR: bizzyluke23 - (United States of America)

The account managers get benefits for keeping all of the accounts current. They will absolutely lie to you to keep you ahead of your actual balance. That way you are never late. Best way to pay is online. It tells you exactly where you are with your account and doesnt assess late fees until you are a couple of days late. This way no dummy employee can screw it up or lie to you. When they call and say what you owe, tell them you are paying your payments online from now on and they have not to call you anymore. You owe Rent A Center the corporation for the merchandise, not Rob the dumdum manager.

RAC

AUTHOR: Lorenzen - (U.S.A.)

What does your Rental Agreement state ?  How many payments were to be made on the dryer ?  What was the projected date of completion of these payments ?  What do your receipts state ?  You should gather them all together and see where the problems lies.  If RAC has indeed been playing around with your money, the contract and receipts will back up your claims.

Question:

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Do you pay on time? You meantioned he said some of the fees were late fees. If you don't make your payment on time every week, well you will get charged late fees. That's the only way I could see you still owing as much as you do. Nevermind the fact that you've been paying 20$ a week for a dryer for a year. 1100$ is highway robbery for a dryer.