Complaint Review: Rentalcars.com

• Updated: Mon, December 31, 2012

• Reported By: JP — Baltimore Maryland United States of America
Rentalcars.com

Rentalcars.com Rentalcars Bait & switch + paid more on arrival Internet

*Author of original report: Dispute resolved - some clarification of policy is in order

I was doing a standard online search in Kayak, and these guys came up as the cheapest option, so I booked them. I then received a call a couple hours later that said the type of car I wanted to reserve was not available at that price, would I like to pay $30 more for the same car from a different vendor. I wasn't happy about it, but because  the reservation was still pretty cheap and covered liability insurance, unlimited KM and (it said) all local taxes, I thought it was fine. However, I then arrived in France only to find a fairly confused car rental representative when I showed her a paper copy of the reservation I'd made through this agency. Even though the reservation clearly indicated local taxes were included, I was required to pay about 50 euro extra before I could get a car (including airport fee and the VAT which is a tax if I ever of one). I was in absolutely no position to get to the bottom of it then, not speaking French. When I contacted Rentalcars about this, they said that local taxes *were* paid for, and that I was paying additional mandatory fees, which they claim to have clearly outlined on their website. to their credit, the itemized list is there --- but it's right under what is covered (i.e., local taxes). They are currently refusing to do anything to address this.

I would not recommend this company to my friends, and will not be using them again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/12/2012 05:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rentalcarscom/internet/Rentalcarscom-Rentalcars-Bait-switch-paid-more-on-arrival-Internet-980878. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rentalcars.com

Dispute resolved - some clarification of policy is in order

AUTHOR: JP reviews - (United States of America)

Just this morning, I contacted upper management at rentalscars.com. I received a callback very quickly, on a holiday no less, and we reached a very amicable (in my view) resolution. They made it clear that they in no way acted with any intent to deceive (and I believe them) - and that perhaps some modification to the fee disclosure is in order to make things clearer. I am appreciative of their upper management working things out with me respectfully and honestly. I consider the matter closed