• Report: #771915

• Updated: Sat, September 03, 2011

• Reported By: Injustice-man — Brooklyn New York United States of America
Resellerratings.com
1600 Duane Avenue Santa Clara, California United States of America

Resellerratings.com Reseller Ratings Unfair trading practices Santa Clara, California

*Author of original report: Response received from customer service

What a rip-off!
This is how it works. A customer who for some reason feels outraged (like I do now), posts a review about your company. You don't know about it. Days, months, maybe years pass and then you find out that someone who bought something from you (although this is not always the case, people can make up invoice numbers and say they bought from you), is upset about something. Now they needn't be telling the truth. In fact, they can say pretty much anything they like as long as they don't use foul language.

You discover this review, either by accident or because someone brought it to your attention. Now initially, you couldn't respond to the review unless you paid (yes Paid!) to become a member to reply. What a scam! Now, I see that the website says you can reply for Free. I wouldn't know. Our company was basically forced into becoming members so we could reply.

For the delightful honor of paying $129 a month or $499 a month - who knows  they appear to bill you what they feel without providing an invoice or statement or even sending you an email in this regard - you can respond to customer reviews. Wow! What a service!

Mind you, they won't remove a negative review for being untrue, even if you pay.

Wait, there's more. If you call their merchant phone number - deeply, deeply buried on their website, you get voicemail. That's right, no live person whatsoever. Call again. Again. Doesn't matter, always voicemail.

So leave a voicemail to find out why you've been billed $499. Don't expect a return phone call. That would be just asking for too much. So email them. Don't expect a return email, though, that too would be asking for too much.

So what exactly are you paying for. I honestly don't know. This is akin to blackmail. Honest companies are doing business with them, and I don't know why.

When I searched for them on this website I found 7 complaints! 7! That's a lot for a company that provides customer service information about other companies.

Want to review Reseller Ratings on their own website? Good luck. They tell you that they don't "sell a product", so you can't review them. Really?! What am I paying $499 a month in extortion fees for? Not a product? Oh I guess not, since nothing has been provided. They're right about that.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/01/2011 11:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Resellerratingscom/Santa-Clara-California-95054/Resellerratingscom-Reseller-Ratings-Unfair-trading-practices-Santa-Clara-California-771915. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Resellerratings.com

Response received from customer service

AUTHOR: Injustice-man - (United States of America)

Fair is fair. The company responded and so here is the progress - in large part I think due to this posting and to a tweet and facebook comment (although the facebook comment was deleted. American Airlines don't delete unhappy customer comments and let me tell you, they have a few, but I will still fly American, because they adequately address customer concerns). For the record, nothing had been received from Reseller ratings prior to these comments on Facebook, Twitter and Here.

Update: Customer service did get back to us. The account has been cancelled. Reasons were given as to why messages were not returned. It was explained that emails were sent, but that they were not received or were caught by the SPAM folder. That is possible, but every single regular Reseller Ratings review and comment has gotten  through, and the corporate SPAM folder is checked every evening.

I have included my original emails and then the responses from the company but have removed any of our people's names or Reseller Ratings people's names because that would be inappropriate and not necessary.

Please note, that phone calls to my cell phone number left on their voicemail were never returned and at this writing have still not been returned. I suppose that after the first response was sent, the returning of the call became moot, but I am including that information just for the record.

In response to issue 1), which was written as follows:
1) "I called Resellerratings.com five times over a span of an entire day; then again twice the next day. I also emailed. EVERY TIME my call went to voicemail. Do you even have live operators? I left two messages. An email was sent informing me that you replied via email. Clearly if a customer is upset, a courtesy phone call would be warranted."
Resellerratings response:
"1) Our merchant 800# is staffed during business hours. If you reached our voicemail, it may have been because our account managers have lengthy discussions with merchants to ensure quality service. If you leave a voicemail, an acct mgr will return your call. Or, you can send an email with questions, or you can schedule a call. We're providing services to the world's largest retailers -- we're not Walmart, we're not providing cookie cutter service to millions of consumers, we're providing high quality service to 1,500 brands."

2) "Your website is unfriendly. Despite receiving an email (after my complaint on Twitter), I was unable to cancel my membership. I am formally asking that it be cancelled here, although I have sent another email asking the same thing, a few moments ago."
Resellerratings response:
"2) Cancellation is as simple as sending an email, per our Merchant Member agreement. We don't allow subscriptions to be canceled via the panel because a) cancellations are rare, and b) it's easy to do via email, and c) we require confirmation to cancel to prevent a rogue employee with unauthorized access to merchant's login from disabling their exit survey and otherwise harming their business."

3) "Resellerratings does not allow customers to review its service. One would think that a company dedicated to customer service reviews, would itself allow its merchant members to review it. The claim is that you don't "sell a product". Then why am I paying $129 - increased to $499? For what am I paying if not a product/service? That seems disingenuous."
Resellerratings response:
We're not a retailer. Our site is ResellerRatings -- a place for consumers to review retailers. Even if we allowed reviews of us at our site, I can assure you that we'd ask our 1,500 paying brands to write a review, and the 15 unhappy merchants would get drowned out. And as we did this, which is the same thing we encourage merchants to do with our exit survey to have positive reviews overshadowing the few negative reviews, we'd be called biased -- the wolf guarding the hen house. It's pointless.

4) "Why don't you send a statement or invoice to your customers like other vendors do? Surely if my tiered pricing had changed, a statement or contract or something should have been received?"
Resellerratings response:
"4) We provide an email invoice monthly upon request. As for your rate changing, we emailed you a 30 day notice of the rate increase on 6/28. Clearly, you're not receiving our emails. That doesn't mean that they emails are not being sent.
Racing over to Ripoffreport to bash us is not appreciated. Ripoffreport is not a fair resource. We can't generate positive reviews there to show how the 1,500 merchants who love us (as you can do at ResellerRatings), and we can't challenge your complaint there. There are only the 5-10 hater complaints (filled with false statements) shown there -- absolutely every business has detractors, every single business. A resource like Ripoffreport ONLY shows the detractors. If you'd like, we'd be happy to go post a few Ripoffreport complaints there about your business, all true, about how you've unfairly dealt with us and how we've been sending you emails that you've been ignoring -- negative reports that will appear high in Google SEO results for your company name until the end of time. If not, I'd suggest that you delete your complaint there about us as it's filled with inaccuracies and is legally actionable."

Further from ResellerRatings: This exchange did not need to be heated. We're a reasonable company. We negotiate rates. We inform merchants prior to any rate changes. We offer contract terms to ensure stable pricing. We provide services to 1,500 brands totaling billions in annual sales and we provide our ratings data to .... all of whom trust and respect our data -- we're a respected resource and your negative experience with us has been a two sided communications breakdown.

On 9/3/2011, the company did reach out to me again asking if I would like to discuss this matter. I certainly would, not to get angry, but to discuss whatever they wish to discuss. It seem fair to allow them to discuss this matter.

However, there was no need for them to threaten legal action or even to say they would potentially post negative comments about our company. The original posting was materially accurate. Any mistakes in the original posting, I will be happy to retract if they can be shown to be inaccurate. The posting on this site would never have occurred if A SINGLE PHONE call from them had been made to the phone number I had left them or to our ACTUAL CURRENT phone number.

Finally, I wrote the following to the company (see below). They have not yet responded, but to their credit, I only emailed on Friday at 3:39PM. They did reach out to me again on 9/3/11 (as mentioned above). They wrote: "Hi ..., We will cancel your account and send you notification. I would, however, still like to speak with you on the phone when you have a few minutes. Please let me know when is a convenient time for you next week. Thanks, ...."

This was my EMAIL response to their EMAIL response:
"....
Thank you for your email. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my previous email. However, now allow me to retort, as I need to clear up the facts.

1)  I called during business hours. I did leave a voicemail. Two. I left it with my personal cell phone number. If you wish, I can have my cell phone records pulled to indicate incoming calls. None were received. The three other times, I left no voicemail. It was adequate I feel to leave two voicemails out of 5 calls. Before that I had sent an email using your own online form. I got no response to that.

2)  If I could access your merchant agreement in any acceptable format I would. I cant even access my invoice on your website. I click on the page that is supposed to take me there and I get marketing nonsense. Others in my office have also tried to do this, with no luck either. Please tell me, how do I access it. I use Firefox, the second most popular browser in the world, so if it is a browser issue, you should consider correcting it. I have attached the screen grab of the page I get when I click on Merchant Panel Info. No matter what links I click on, I cannot find an invoice, nor a page of contact information to reach a human. Perhaps you could include that for your 1,500 satisfied merchants to reach you.

3)  Take me up on it. Allow your customers to review you. I think youre afraid to see the real truth. It is no accident that Ripoffreports has more than a few negative reviews of your company. To get to Ripoffreports customers have already exhausted many other options.

4) I am receiving your emails. In fact, every review email comes through nice and clearly. We check our Spam filters daily. Is it a miracle that we are getting those emails, but no customer service emails telling us about your policies? Maybe, miracles can happen. Would it kill you to check that the number you have on file for us is accurate? It isnt. I got an email from your Business Dev. Department saying they left a phone call on our old phone number. That is despite me leaving on your voicemail my cell phone number as a contact, since I am often out of the office. Just FYI, our new accurate phone number is posted in many places and prominently on our website. And its odd that Bus Dev called our old phone number, since our current address and phone number are listed on our Merchant Store Info page on YOUR website.

5)  If you had complaints about OUR comapny that we didnt address via phone or email after multiple attempts then you would have a valid complaint. But you havent bought a product from us. We did buy a product/service from you. Using multiple outlets it took almost a week to hear back from you AND we only did hear from you after I posted a comment on Facebook/Twitter. I believe that your response now is due to the fact that given your previous inaction, you feel it important to act now to save face.

Finally. I encourage you to read RipOffReport. Many complaints are about exactly the same thing. Surely you should do something to fix this. Better yet, just respond on that website to the complaints, just like we merchants have to do to false complaints about us on your website.

Now what I am really interested to see is if our review on your website changes over the next few days/weeks/months. It is currently x/10. If some of the reports on Ripoffreport.com are true, then I think I should keep an eye on our store profile.

Sincerely
...."

Again, if anything written here is inaccurate, I will publish a retraction.

I find it necessary to post this set of emails because of the legal action threatened and the potential complaints against my company, even though we didn't sell anything to Reseller Ratings. I have included all the emails for you to clearly see what transpired. You may completely ignore the original posting - consider it even retracted. I think the response to my comments speak for themselves.

Thus, make your own decision. The emails between my company and theirs are accurate. You can get copies from them with the same contents.

In conclusion:

I appreciate them finally reaching out, and cancelling our contract - better would have just been an explanation for the higher charges, but since none was received in time, we decided just to cancel our business dealings.

I am disappointed in the threats - a company like theirs shouldn't have to resort to such threats. I hope that future customers don't have to deal with this kind of hassle and that Reseller Ratings posts on their site an easy-to-reach method for customers to contact them and to escalate complaints (if they have any); A clearly posted non-toll-free human-answering phone number (only in the merchant access section of course) where calls are returned within 24-48 hours and clearly posted rates.

It would also be great if a company that allows customers to rate other companies, would allow their own customers to rate them, and perhaps respond to complaints on their facebook page instead of merely deleting them.