Complaint Review: Reservation Rewards - WLI - Fandango

• Submitted: Wed, December 08, 2004
  • Updated: Wed, December 08, 2004

• Reported By:West Chester Pennsylvania
Reservation Rewards - WLI - Fandango
6 Corporation Drive Shelton, Connecticut U.S.A.

Reservation Rewards Aka WLI RESERVATION Misleading internet ads at trusted on-line retailers! RIP-OFF! Shelton Connecticut

Dear "Reservation Rewards"

Your letter below in response to my outrage over your deceptive ad practices is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Please point out any business transaction where giving ONLY an e-mail address is used as authorization to bill someone's credit card.

I can not buy milk using my e-mail address, I can not pay my rent with my e-mail address, I can't purchase books at Amazon using only my e-mail address, hell, i can't even give to "Jerry's Kids" using my e-mail address.

Each and every LEGITIMATE transaction I have ever undertaken on the internet, I have been asked for ALL of my personal information including credit card. NEVER has any REAL business EVER asked me to simply fill in my e-mail as a form of payment.

I've just finished reading hundreds of complaints about your company [do a google with 'reservation rewards ripoff' and see the thousands of hits you get] and its signup practices at many many reputable on line businesses. How can any legitimate company continue to do business with what has been shown time and time again to be misleading to customers? Your response seems to be to each and every person that they are STUPID because they can not READ properly. Your ads are an abuse of the public trust and you have time and time again skirted around the law.

Lets assume I AM stupid and can't read, why then didn't I ever receive any e-mails from your company explaining that they were about to charge my credit card each month? Not once did I receive an electronic receipt showing the time and date of any credit card transaction. Every single retailer on line sends you these sorts of notifications and yet mysteriously I received NONE of them from you.

Each and every month for 6 months my credit card was charged a very unassuming amount of $9 and billed with the mysterious name of: WLI*RESERVATIONR. My wife and I keep very good financial records but this slipped by our usually astute noses for 5 months. Are you saying we are idiots because we did not notice a $9 charge on our very lengthy monthly bank statement? Not to belabor a point but why did your company NEVER ONCE send me an e-mail asking why I hadn't logged on to use all my super great REWARDS in the 6 months I was a so called "member"? Don't you care that I'm not taking advantage of all the VALUE your company lays at my feet each month?

I am telling everyone I know [they are all BCCd on this priceless letter of yours] and sending my story to any blog out there who cares to hear this and I am also complaining to the online retailers who are in cahoots with you crooks. After that I will file a complaint with the better business bureau.

You can not simply get away with taking people's money and then telling them, they were stupid and can't read when they get duped by your deceptive marketing. You can't and furthermore, even if it is legal, you can never regain the trust from the thousands of customers whose trust you have mishandled. When the big retailers who carry your ads start to realize this, chapter 11 will be right around the corner for you I assure you.

I was happy that your phone operator said he was refunding ALL of my money but I got the distinct impression that I'll need to be watching out for it and from what I've read on line, you seldom do handout refunds, which goes to prove my point even further that you guys KNOW what you're doing to people.

Have a great Holiday!!

I wonder if any of the christmas presents under your tree will have been paid for by deceived customer's money?

naaah, not in America. Not when you are aligned with such trusted retailers. How could YOU possibly be considered thieves, this IS the electronic age after all and well, if people don't read the fine print, its not your fault right?

-Mark

>snip: oriignal response to my letter to cancel<
On Dec 8, 2004, at 12:23 PM, cancelfeedback@webloyalty.com wrote:

Dear Mark:

We apologize for any concern you may have experienced. We try to make our offer as clear as possible.

Our records show that on 05/31/2004 you or someone in your household completed an online transaction with Fandango. After your transaction you were offered and accepted a membership in Reservation Rewards. Immediately next to the offer, the Offer Details were displayed, which included the agreement that we could bill the fee to the credit card you used for your transaction with Fandango.

Please be assured that Fandango did not just pass your credit card number. The security of your credit card is very important to Fandango and to us. The person who signed up for Reservation Rewards was required to enter their email address in two times, like a signature, plus click a button to confirm their permission that the same credit card used for their transaction with Fandango could be used for the Reservation Rewards membership.

We would never have received your credit card without appropriate permission from the person who agreed to the membership.

Even though you cancelled your Reservation Rewards membership you are still entitled to a $10 Cash Back Award on your next purchase at Fandango anytime you want within the first three months of joining Reservation Rewards. To get your $10, simply email your Fandango sales confirmation receipt within 30 days of making your purchase to cashbackaward@reservationrewards.com

Please note that our security system prohibits us from accepting attachments. Make sure your order confirmation, purchase price and current mailing address are included. We'll then send you a check for the $10. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Your $10 Cash Back Award is good on any one Fandango purchase. This offer is non-transferable and limited to one per household.

When a misunderstanding occurs, we are more than willing to cancel the membership and provide a refund. This membership has been cancelled and we have issued six refunds of $9.00 each for the membership fees you were charged. These credits should be posted to your credit/debit card account within 3-5 business days.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Michelle A.
The Reservation Rewards Team
customerservice@reservationrewards.com
800-732-7031

*******************************************************

>snip: my original cancellation letter to reservation rewards<

Feedback from: Mark

Here is a copy of the letter I just sent to Fandango.com

Somehow through using your website, fandango.com, I was inadvertently signed up to "Reservation Rewards" . They charged my credit card which I did not provide directly to them for $9/month for months without my knowledge or ever sending me a receipt or billing query. My wife and I only just noticed it after going over our bank statements with a fine tooth comb.

This deceptive tactic of blindly signing up people to a pay service they did no ask for is one of the reasons doing business on the internet has gotten such a bad reputation.

I wholeheartedly suggest you review how reservation rewards is intertwined with Fandango and luring people unwittingly to sign on for charges they never would have agreed to if they knew what was happening. As I vaguely recall, I filled out an online 'survey' shortly after joining Fandango which promised a 10% reduction in theater tix on my next order. I never knowingly agreed to have my credit card charged nor did I ever enter my credit card information on any Reservation Rewards so called "survey'.

In fact, reservation rewards is the type of website I would never EVER be interested in using and would typically run in the other direction if I saw an ad for them. The fact that Fandango.com used its reputation, which in my mind is a good on, to pander for these clowns at reservation rewards is very disheartening. I hold fandango.com responsible for this travesty of mishandling customer trust.

I am seriously considering not ever using your otherwise fine and reliable service at fandango.com ever again and telling everyone I know about this horrible experience.

As for reservation rewards, I WILL be sure to tell everyone about them and possibly notifying local media who love to do storys about how people are ripped off on the internet.

Mark
West Chester, Pennsylvania

CLICK HERE to read about Credit Card Scams... find out how to get your money back. *Rip-off Report Investigation provides valuable information.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/08/2004 11:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Reservation-Rewards-WLI-Fandango/Shelton-Connecticut-06484/Reservation-Rewards-Aka-WLI-RESERVATION-Misleading-internet-ads-at-trusted-on-line-retaile-121850. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Reservation Rewards - WLI - Fandango