Complaint Review: Resurgent Capital Services

• Updated: Mon, June 04, 2012

• Reported By: D Hall — San Clemente California United States of America
Resurgent Capital Services

Resurgent Capital Services Resurgent debt collection scam Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: NEVER speak to bottomfeeders, and NEVER pay "junk debt"..DO THIS..

My wife & I were in the middle of our refi we have a fico 810+ when all of a sudden a wierd collection was outstanding. The company Resurgent Capital Services alleges we had debt of $355 when I called their 800# (800) 363-3115 and asked what this is about they said it was a Mervyn's account back in 1996 for $46 but since they bought it they raised it to $355. I then asked if they could provide proof of what was purchased they said "unfortunately we are a debt company and we do not have that information readily available you will need to send a letter in writing requesting it and we can respond back it will take 45 to 60 days" I am in the middle of a refi I can not wait....I was forced to pay a re-negotiated rate of $118, I then said after paying for it over the phone "Can you send me what I purcahsed at Mervyn's 15 years ago"....they said"sorry you will need send us a letter in writing and we will respond in 45 to 60 days". So I just paid $118 for nothing....this has to be a scam, Mervyn's is closed, GE Capital shows the account closed...these idiots are getting away with murger ruining people credit on bogus collection charges.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2012 12:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Resurgent-Capital-Services/internet/Resurgent-Capital-Services-Resurgent-debt-collection-scam-Internet-892756. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Resurgent Capital Services

#1 Consumer Suggestion

NEVER speak to bottomfeeders, and NEVER pay "junk debt"..DO THIS..

AUTHOR: Southern Chemical and Equipment LLC - (USA)

You actually screwed yourself when you paid that old, uncollectable debt.

When you paid it, you "validated" it under the law. So now they can keep coming after you for whatever else they say you owe on that debt, in court if needed, and now they will win!

NEVER make a payment to a JUNK DEBT BUYER / third party collector / bottomfeeder!

NEVER EVER DO THIS!

Also understand that paying off that old uncollectable junk debt, does not mean it will come off your credit report! Since you restarted the SOL clock, you validated the "collection" which will now stay on your report as a collection account...FOR 7 MORE YEARS!

Your mortgage loan officer must be a real uneducated piece of dirt if he/she told you to pay this.

I worked within the mortgage industry for a couple of years, and dealt with this often. You could have simply sworn out a statement and a declaration that the debt is not yours, etc..and you could have gotten a "lender exception" from the underwriter, and it would not have affected your rate or your overall qualifying, especially with an 800+ score.

Live an learn, but you made a very bad mistake when you paid that old debt.

That debt was far past any statute of limitations and was legally uncollectable.

The only thing you can do now, is file fraud complaints with the FTC and your state AG for the unethical collections practices, and/or file a civil suit for any damages they caused you with the illegal reporting.

And...FYI...a debt collector is prohited by law from inflating the original debt amount. Only a court can award costs/fees. Only pre- charge off interest as per your contract rate, and post charge off interest as allowed by law can be added to the principal default amount. But only up to the applicable SOL. Beyond that, the debt is DEAD!!

I suggest you educate yourself on your legal rights in the future. Stay off the phone altogether in any dispute. Do everything in writing!