Complaint Review: Retail Services

• Submitted: Mon, September 26, 2005
  • Updated: Mon, September 26, 2005

• Reported By:oakdale Pennsylvania
Retail Services
Po Box Baltimore, Maryland U.S.A.

CompUSA, Retail Services Ripoff, delayed billing scam and didn't get the check for pay-off! Baltimore Maryland

I had purchased a computer from CompUSA and had delayed billing with their Reatil Services finance Group. I had a check sent over a month ahead to payoff the accountin order to not have to pay delayed interest. When I checked the account for payoff through their automated phone service a few days after I was told it was paid off from the pay off bank, their (Retail Services number: 800-365-0197) (from my home phone) stated the balance was zero. I took this as the account was payed off. Bizarre as it sounds, still, today Sept 26th, 2005, the phone message says the account is payed off.

After I thought the account was payed off, based on their message, I received a bill from Retail Services, 3 days before the account needed payed off announcing I owed money. As it was the weekend, no one was available to find out about how could I owe money on this account ?. Again, I explained to them, their automated accounting phone numeber said it was payed off?

I called the Monday, after the weekend only for them to tell me they never received the check. How convenient for them as I was now having to pay for the deferred interest and my account was now past due. Their immediate response was well, we'll only charge you for half the interest if I pay it all off by Sept 29 (10 days) I immediately called the bank of the payoff. They had to cancel the check and have re-issued to Retails Services. I am now worried if the check will get there soon enough(by the 29th). Will it get lost again????
I feel cheated and lied to all in one. Surprisingly, I had sent a check earlier to pay on the bill and it got there. But when I tied to pay it all off, a month ahead, the check gets lost, their automated phone systems says I owe nothing, but now I am liable for all this mess and more money. Now, I have to follow-up by this Friday to insure it gets paid off. I'd call this legal robbery.

This will be my last experience with Rerail Services and I will be calling CompUSA to let them know of this, convenient, legal robbery.

Paul
oakdale, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/26/2005 12:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Retail-Services/Baltimore-Maryland-121297-1298/CompUSA-Retail-Services-Ripoff-delayed-billing-scam-and-didnt-get-the-check-for-pay-off-158380. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Retail Services