Complaint Review: Retriever Towing

• Submitted: Thu, November 04, 1999
  • Updated: Thu, April 05, 2001

• Reported By:Portland OR
Retriever Towing
1550 NW Kearney Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

Consumer Extortion---The Almighty Towing Company *REBUTTAL

*0: The 1st mistake is that you admitted to parking in a space "CLEARLY" marked "NO PARKING BEFORE 5pm" DUH!!!!!

On November 4, 1999 I parked my car outside of my workplace, in order to attend a short meeting. There was a sign in the lot saying that parking was allowed after 5 pm. Being as it was not quite 5:00, I assumed that since I would only be a short while and that it would be safe.

The way I see it, they "stole" my car and then held it ransom for ridicuous amounts of money ($158.00) to get it back. My car was only in the lot for approximately one hour, when I returned, it was gone. When I contacted the towing company (Retriever Towing in Portland Oregon) they informed me that the cost would be $158.

The lot was 5 blocks away from the location in which the car was towed. And, the car was in the Retriever Towing lot for no more than 30 minutes. They justified (or tried to) the vast expense as follows: $95-tow, $3.50-to drive the 5 blocks, $30. to hook it up to the dollies(?), $25. for the 1/2 hour that the car was stored, and finally $5. for the dispatch.

This is unacceptable! How long have these Nazis been getting away with this? Is this legal? I was literally forced to pay these fees, in order to get my car back. I want to make it very clear, that I did NOT consent to this business transaction.

Please help me! They must not get away with these unethical business practices!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/04/1999 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Retriever-Towing/Portland-Oregon-97209/Consumer-Extortion-The-Almighty-Towing-Company-REBUTTAL-904. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Retriever Towing

#1 0

AUTHOR: - ()

This email is a rebuttal to RipOff #904.
It was sent by D.Rowley at junk@zipperz.com.

Consumer Extortion---The Almighty Towing Company (#904)

They filed the following rebuttal to the above Rip-Off Report:

Their email: junk@zipperz.com
Their name: D.Rowley
Their relationship to the company: Advocate

Rebuttal:
I used to be a Professional Tow Truck Driver in Portland, OR. I worked for such companies as A&B Towing, Arrow Towing, Newhouse & Hutchins and Justice Towing. All of which are very reputable companies like Retriever.

So I know what I am about to say is correct. The 1st mistake is that you admitted to parking in a space "CLEARLY" marked "NO PARKING BEFORE 5pm" DUH!!!!! Ususal hook up rates for a PPI (Private property impound) is anywhere from $75-$150 just for the hook-up.

The $30 fee you paid for dollies was to protect your car (IE you had a front wheel drive car and had it nosed in) these protect your transmission and in the event that your steering is not properly locked. Thus preventing any damage to your investment.

The $3.50 you paid for the 5 blocks is a mileage charge, which
is charged per mile or ANY part of a mile thereof.

The $25.00 you paid was for the simple reason that tow companies and their people have lives too and they work 9-5 just like you and me. So obviously you called after 5pm to get your car therefore you must pay a "GATE FEE" which covers the cost
of an employee to leave his house and family to HELP you.

And lastly the $5.00 fee is to cover the answering service fees incurred due to the after hours call. You are only whining because of your own stupidity and failure to comply with a sign for which I know for a fact was as big as a "House 4 Sale" sign. (This is a Multnomah County Law.) And had the sign not been
posted you would have thought your car had been stolen, but wait, right there at the bottom of the sign was the phone number of the company that has your car.

"What a novel idea" for them to be so nice and leave that number for you to call. It helped didn't it? As i see it you deserved every penny it cost you just because you were the one being ignorant and thinking that your appointment has priority over
all.