- Report: #301675
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Riddle Builders
Riddle Builders505 North 17th St. Monroe, Louisiana U.S.A.
Riddle Builders, Robert Riddle false records, billed more than owed, lied about services performed, incompetence throughout job, gave self profit on work not done Monroe Louisiana
*Consumer Comment: insulation
*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Who's Lauren????
*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Please consider the following
*Author of original report: Riddle Builders made restitution to insurance co for services not performed; technically above board legally
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
2. Was told before signing contract that payment arrangements would be made to pay out the amount do "if any." Before the job was finished, he demanded payment in full in an amount more than what we had previously agreed upon.
3. Took the contractor more than 5 months to perform a small job when we were originally led to believe it would take 2 at the most, and the job is still not complete.
4. Was advised that additional work needed to be done at extra expense to us but were not provided with an estimate beforehand. Was told that it "wouldn't be much." Later found out that the work had already been done in the previous year. Of course, the bill that "wouldn't be much" was $450.00. Was very belligerent when I told him that I considered that to be more than "not very much."
5. The work mentioned above had to be redone 3 times because of faulty work and because cheaper materials than what we were billed for were installed. Was told the second time that the work had been redone but it had not. Trash and debris, including roof tacks, were left all over the yard, but were eventually picked up by the carpenters (only because the carpenters were nice - the contractor hadn't told them to pick it up).
6. Contractor called tree service and when the tree service failed to show up, I made the arrangements with another tree service to come out and dealt with the owner in the absence of the contractor. Contractor still billed $350 fee in with the bill from the tree service even though he had nothing to do with it. Told me that it was "standard."
7. Left me to handle calling and setting up electrical service and did not get involved in that portion. Electrician was very curious as to why I was left to manage the job instead of the contractor.
8. Carpet and carpet liner was in the room when the tree fell but the contractor overlooked it. I pulled it up and rolled it up myself, but was charged for "carpet removal." Had to ask contractor to call the insurance company in front of me to make sure they knew to reimburse me for it.
9. Instructed workers to put up the walls of the room without any insulation. When asked why they weren't replacing insulation they commented that they thought they should but they were instructed not to. When I checked the estimate, we were being billed for insulation that the contractor did not instruct his workers to install.
10. We were also billed for blown in insulation in the ceiling over the room. However, when we checked the attick after noticing, on a cold day, that there was no frost over that part of the house, that there was no insulation in that part of the attick.
11. Took 3 months to receive initial estimate even though asked for one repeatedly. Did not receive final estimate until work was almost done.
12. Left materials sitting in the mud and rain for weeks at a time while no work was done to house. Repeated phone calls went unanswered. When he finally did return calls, he made promises about finish times that he did not keep.
13. Gave no direction to carpenters, who cut vents at odd angles, knocked out windows that didn't need to be removed, and tore up parts of the floor.
14. Failed to notice that the tree had cracked large blocks of our walkway and that it had torn up the floor. I had to do all of the legwork in trying to get the insurance company to cover the expense of repair. Insurance company curious as to why contractor was not the one making the request.
15. Kept losing my punchcard and forgetting to send workers to complete requests. Made further promises about timelines that he continually broke.
16. Submitted wrong windows to insurance company and by the time that we (not he) realized his mistake it was too late for the insurance company to make up the difference between what they owed us and what he submitted because it had already gone through. We went around and around with the insurance company (they were great about it) trying to correct his mistake while he cooled his heels and didn't try to help or even apologize for the mistake that cost us almost $1,200. Eventually the insurance company came out and met us to try to find other ways to make up for the mistake. The contractor failed to show up for the meeting. Our insurance company was surprised that the contractor was not handling the issue since he caused it. He also messed up the order for the window screens.
17. The windows took weeks to arrive and when they did they sat under the carport for several additional weeks while the work that was supposed to be finished before the windows arrived. When they installed the windows there were parts missing and we are still waiting for the contractor to order and install the missing parts.
18. When the insurance adjuster came out to try to correct the contractor's mistake, he found several very obvious items that the contractor had overlooked; two were potential safety hazards.
19. Toward the end of the job, the contractor started using phrases like "between a rock and a hard place" and "my hands are tied" to describe the way he had been handling the job.
20. The paint job had to be redone because it was not done correctly.
21. We were billed for multiple items that were not completed or never ordered. When asked about charges, he became belligerent and threatened legal action if we did not pay in full; since then, he has called and left threatening message on my machine. In addition, he refused to honor the previous terms of the agreement.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/19/2008 05:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Riddle-Builders/Monroe-Louisiana-71201/Riddle-Builders-Robert-Riddle-false-records-billed-more-than-owed-lied-about-services-p-301675. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.