Complaint Review: Rite Aid

• Updated: Mon, December 12, 2011

• Reported By: Scarlett — United States of America
Rite Aid
Exeter, New Hampshire United States of America

RITE AID GAVE MY FIVE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER THE WRONG MEDS AND REFUSES TO PAY HER EXTENSIVE MEDICAL BILLS Jessica's Mom Exeter, New Hampshire

*Author of original report: Mr. Jeffrey Lenkhov trying to settle the Rite Aid case

*Consumer Comment: Judge Alex?

*Consumer Comment: You know..

*Consumer Comment: Fishy isnt the half of it

*Consumer Comment: I feel for you but I think you're damaging your case posting here

*Author of original report: How it works/I came today to take down the blog

*Author of original report: In answer to your question

*Author of original report: Again, I know this is a Rite Aid Rep RE "FISHY"

*Author of original report: Your case

*Author of original report: The meds Jess got

*Author of original report: I can't BELIEVE Rite Aid would stoop to this!! Actually I can

*Author of original report: "FISHY" response was made by Rite Aid's Lawyer . .

*Author of original report: Medication Jess was given

*Consumer Comment: I agree. The more she writes the fishier it sounds

*Consumer Comment: This story sound fishy.

*Author of original report: UPDATE #2

*Consumer Comment: You haven't said

*Author of original report: SELLING MY RITE AID STORY/SEVEN FIGURES

*Author of original report: I've been dealing with their lawyer for over a year

*Author of original report: Thank you Robert!!

*Consumer Comment: Whoa...

*Author of original report: Malpractice

*Author of original report: It was for someone else entirely

*General Comment: Press charges and get your lawsuit in fast

*Consumer Comment: More questions

*Consumer Comment: Seems to me

*Consumer Comment: question

On June 9, 2010, my then five year old daughter was given the WRONG MEDICATION by Rite Aid. She nearly choked to death when she was forced to violently vomit for hours through her strep-swollen throat (we had gone to get antibiotics for her throat, and instead they gave her someone else's medication). One of the medicines will stay in my daughter's system for a number of months if not years. A pediatric cardiologist told me that he had never heard of the drug, so that there' sno way to guess how it will effect a child--it's never been given to one before, that anyone can asess.

ADDITIONALLY, she overheard an attendant say if she'd have gone to sleep she'd have died.So now, she's terrified of sleeping and we have to grind up herbal sleeping meds into her medicine so that my angel can get any rest at all.

Despite dealing with Rite Aid for over a year, and getting reports that fixing this problem will be well over a hundred thousand dollars (NOT to mention time lost from work or the cost of all the co-pays to diagnose and the huge difference this has made in her life), they've simply refused to pay her bills. I presented them with the medical bills which were into six figures; they offered five thousand. When I told them I couldn't pay $150K worth of medical bills with $5K, they told me, "She's a kid. They're resilient. She should bounce back."

When I went on line, I found DOZENS AND DOZENS of open lawsuits against this company about wrongful deaths from medication. They simply don't care.

PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM RITE AID!!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/01/2011 06:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rite-Aid/Exeter-New-Hampshire-03833/RITE-AID-GAVE-MY-FIVE-YEAR-OLD-DAUGHTER-THE-WRONG-MEDS-AND-REFUSES-TO-PAY-HER-EXTENSIVE-ME-748221. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rite Aid

Mr. Jeffrey Lenkhov trying to settle the Rite Aid case

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

Hopefully he'll get her the justice she deserves. He's a good man (he runs marathons for charities) and I hope he can settle this so I can get my baby girl healing once and for all.

Judge Alex?

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

OK, this is going beyond fishy. First of all, Judge Alex is a small claims judge, with a statutory maximum of (usually) $5000. So that won't cover your medical bills. I'm not a lawyer, but I suspect that if you sue in his court, you won't be able to sue again.  So what good will that do, other than to make your case public?

Second, I highly doubt any reputable psychologist would diagnose your daughter with PTSD. You stated that a doctor said she could've died. Assuming that he/she was dumb enough to say this in front of your daughter, it still isn't enough to cause the kind of psychological problems you say she is experiencing. Five year olds have (at best) a very tenuous understanding of death. It is highly unlikely that she developed her problems on her own. I strongly suspect that you have been over-reacting to all this and filling her head with all kinds of anxiety-producing ideas.

Third, I checked with the school of pharmacy faculty where I teach. They all agreed that neither one of the two drugs you mentioned was likely to cause long term damage if only one dose was taken. As a previous poster mentioned, it is more likely that she would've gotten sick for a few days, and that would be the end of it. Certainly not enough to warrant long term cardiac problems or psychological distress.

Here's what I think REALLY happened. Your child took the wrong medication and you over-reacted. When it happened to my daughter I was irate as well.  But there should be a point (and now would be good) to realize that you have done far more harm than good to your baby.  I agree that Rite Aid should pay her necessary medical bills, but YOU need to find a way to get your psychological problems under control.

And no, I don't work for Rite Aid. I teach for a private university and am a mental health professional.

You know..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

And if I got "prolific"--I'm a writer.
- I really hope that this is not some piece of fiction.  Because in the beginning this did sound like a believable story.  After all who would make up something like this.  So if this did happen I do hope that your daughter fully recovers.

However, the last posts have really "gone down the rabbit hole" so to speak.

You are talking about selling your story for 7 figures.  At the same time you are talking to "Judge Alex".  Then you have a long lost uncle who has put you in touch with a "Shark Attorney" on the east coast.  Yet in all of this you are still willing to "settle" with Rite-Aid after being put through this for a year?

A couple other things.  As for your doctor.  It is hard to believe that a doctor(even if they just work in peds) that wouldn't have even heard of those medications.  But then even if they didn't know about it to not seem willing to find out.

With the medical "costs".  You have given every indication that the medical costs are about $150K, with 100K of that for her PTSD.   So with a life altering medical situation 2/3 of the cost is psychological ?  For 100K that is probably enough to see a top psychologist a couple hours a day every day for the last year.  Even people who have extreme psychological issues don't get that much treatment.

Then of course we get to the "you must be an employee"(or in this case the lawyers).  Well let me put your mind at ease with that.  If you actually looked around this site you would realize that the same people who posted here post on several other companies as well.   Where if we got paid by everyone of these companies we would be very well off.  This "they must be employees" generally turns out to be an indication that you really have nothing so are just throwing that out to try and detract it from what the posts that you don't like are saying.

Do have any verifiable outside sources of your claims?  One would think that in a year that at least one News organization would have "picked up" this story.  You obviously know how to post images so how about some of the medical bills(with the personal information blocked out of course)?

Also I am curious as to when that picture you posted was taken?

Fishy isnt the half of it

AUTHOR: Resty - (U.S.A.)

I dont believe one word of this trauma drama

First WHAT mother in their right freakin mind would ALLOW a total stranger.....pharmacist or not to physically PUT A DRUG in their childs mouth and then PLUG HER NOSE FORCING HER TO SWALLOW?

Please.

WHY would you not verify the name of the drug BEFORE giving it to your kid much less standing by and ALLOWING a stranger to force a drug into your childs mouth and plugging her nose to make her swallow? AND AT 5 YEARS OLD no less.

Having strep does not mean you cant swallow a pill. Ive raised 15 kids and never had it be an issue.

There is NO part of your story that is believable other than you're trying to yank hard at RiteAid to get some free money so you dont have to work.

People like you are why Insurance premiums are so damn high.

Oh and the drugs you claim she was force fed (you say ONE put then list 2)

Diovan is a high blood pressure med and would not necessarily kill her with a one time dose.

and the other is another name for FOSAMAX which is for osteoporosis

both of these may make her sick and she should have been seen in the ER immediately but you dont seem to mention that. Also you list 2 drugs but dont say which one she was forced to swallow?

That whole forced to swallow a drug that you didnt personally verify by a total stranger is going to be beyond belief BY ANY MOTHER that reads this trauma drama.

This IS as much your fault as it is the pharmacy.

I feel for you but I think you're damaging your case posting here

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

First of all, "Inspector" is not Rite Aid's attorney; he's one of many others like myself who post rebuttals here on many other posts. Please don't join the nutcase brigade that thinks every critical rebuttal is by an employee, etc.
Next, why are you taking such a serious case before a TV judge? It makes you look, shall we say, "Not very serious".
Third, if I were your attorney, I'd advise you to stop the rapid fire post responses, as it makes you look somewhat less than credible. A simple, short statement in one post of the facts, in brief, and in chronological order, would have sufficed. Short of being a lawyer, I think I'm giving you sage advice.

How it works/I came today to take down the blog

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

. . . is that if you can't afford treatment, you don't get it.

My daughter is suffering and I'm at home with her all day; blogging was something i began to do when Rite Aid employee Annette Long told my then-attorney, "She can talk to whomever she wants". My then-attorney said, "She's going to talk to consumer advocate groups to try to protect other children". Annette Long repeated, "She can talk to whomever she likes."

So I got their permission not once but TWICE to talk to moms and dads about taking their kids to Rite Aid.

And if I got "prolific"--I'm a writer. I write about what I'm going through. I don't WANT to sell my daughter's private life, I'm being forced to because without that, I don't have enough money to put a roof over her head. Why? I had to sell everything to take care of my baby. I borrowed HUGE amounts of money to take care of mybaby. I had to quit my job because of her panic attack/seizures that cropped up immediately after this mess with Rite Aid.

Oddly enough, I'd come here today to ask them to take down the blogs in a gesture of good faith to settle immediately rather than sell my child's story. And then I found all these postings from you guys. (I'm pretty sure you work for Rite Aid). So I had to respond because in responding, I protect my baby.

I was told by every agency that they have nothing but disgust for Rite Aid--but there is no official company that deals with stuff like this. If you know of it, PLEASE tell me.

So, as of next Monday, if there's no settlement, I sell my story which gives me the $$$$ to go to NH again and file a $10 million suit.

MY BABY WILL HAVE JUSICE and I will fight for her with my dying breath.

In answer to your question

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

. .. no, there are not agenices in NH who would deal with this.

I'm not dealing with Rite Aid alone. I have a really talented lawyer.

I frankly expected to settle this case shortly, but as I said, I suspect it was Rite Aid's own lawyer who
put up the "fishy" post. I hadn't planned on posting to any of these blogs until there was a settlement.

I had said I wouldn't tweet about it and/or blog any more until there was a settlement, until the "fishy" comment went up.

RE the $150K--Rite Aid has, and has had since November, a list of all of Jessica's medical problems, treatments, future treatments, which came from the several doctors who evaluated her. In fact, the $150K comes from just ONE doctor--it will actually cost much more than that to get her up on her feet again. But I would have been willing to settle for that just to put this behind us.

I had to leave my job, I had to sell everything, enormous debts were incurred, huge loans were taken out, due to the damage Rite Aid did.

Again, I had planned on not blogging as an act of good faith; I need the settlement VERY soon and if I don't get if from them, I need to get it by telling my story.

Again, I know this is a Rite Aid Rep RE "FISHY"

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

. . .Jess and I had to move to LA immediately after the situation. We need to file in NH.
We simply did not, and do not have the resources to fly back and forth to NH to file a lawsuit.

As it was told to us, it would be best to everyone to settle the case out of court. But they are leaving us no choice. We have to go public to raise the funds to go back to NH to file our ten-million-dollar lawsuit.

Also, an uncle I hadn't heard from in years, heard about this online, and has put in in touch with a SHARK of a Boston attorney who will rep Jess and I in the NH case.

My child nearly died in my arms because she was given the wrong medication. She turned purple. I called an ambulance. Since then, my life has been one nightmare after another.

All I want is justice for Jess. And on the many, MANY other sites (which will come down ONLY when there is Justice for Jess) I've written how they've sunk so low as to have their employees put "doubting" texts on this site. Don't worry--I have dozens and dozens of emails who saw these "posts" and responded privately, telling me Rite Aid stories of their own.

Your case

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

. . . I was told I had a case till two years after Jess' 18th birthday.
I would DEFINITELY talk to an attorney about your case.

The meds Jess got

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

. . .were for Diovan and Alendronate Sodium 70 mogs. I wanted to protect the privacy of the person whose prescriptions they were.

I can't BELIEVE Rite Aid would stoop to this!! Actually I can

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

. . . GUYS, A RITE AID EMPLOYEE, in fact an attorney, wrote the "Fishy" comment. Rite Aid has now sunk to the level of trying to corrupt the stories about them!!

Just applied to Judge Alex and IMMEDIATELY got a phone call. Apparently people are interested.

JUSTICE FOR JESSICA!! JUSTICE FOR JESSICA!!! JUSTICE FOR JESSICA!!!

"FISHY" response was made by Rite Aid's Lawyer . .

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

Ladies and Gentlemen, Jeffrey Lenkov has been trying to blackmail me into taking down these blogs for days, and now he just commented made the "FISHY STORY" comments. So he won't have to pay????

Mr. Lenkov, I just gave my case to Judge Alex. We're going on National Television. You will be named repeatedly for what you've done to my daughter. I'm also reporting what you did to my daughter.

BTW, this is one of nearly twenty blogs I've blogged about this case. They will come down ONLY when justice is done.

Medication Jess was given

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

. . . was Alendronate Sodium 70 mgs and Diovan for a woman named LUCILLE Savage. My daughter's name was Jessica Savage.

Even Rite Aid isn't scummy enough to say they didn't give her the wrong meds.

I agree. The more she writes the fishier it sounds

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

This was very believable at first, but after Robert's post, the OP suddenly went into overdrive with one post after another, each getting a bit bizarre compared to the prior. Selling stores, living in a car. I'm not getting this anymore. Did she have no insurance? What engendered $150K following this dosage incident? Would the hospital and medical billers not put her on payment plans, that she was immediately wrecked financially? Perhaps, but this is really starting to look like a picture not hanging right. Does she not have lawyers already working on this? She's not trying to deal with Rite Aid on her own, is she? Aren't there state authorities in NH who would get involved in this?

This story sound fishy.

AUTHOR: Inspector - (USA)

the author will not tell us what medication she was given, instead talks about lawsuits.  I don't believe any of it.

UPDATE #2

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

I wish I didn't HAVE to go to meetings RE selling a tragedy in my family. I would love NOT to be in a position that I'm so desperate for funds (because what they did) that I have to entertain the notion.

But the reason I have to?  If they haven't settled by next week, this story becomes a story about how Jess and I are homeless, and couch-surfing wherever we can find one. Or possibly sleeping in our car. A story about a child in desperate need of medical care and her mother are now homeless because every last resource has been exhausted.

Time ticks by. By next week I need to start making arrangements that I can't yet afford to, which is why it was such a blessing to hear that there was an interest in Jess & my story. I need $$$ by next week, and I have no guarantee that it'll happen from them.

I'm a writer, that's what I do--it's been pointed out, "THey haven't settled yet--what makes you think they will? And it's not going to be nearly what selling your story would be. You needed money to care for Jess months and months ago--what makes you think they're actually going to get your $150K in your hands by the time you need it?"

They gave my child the wrong medication. Thank THE UNIVERSE that she didn't die as so many others have. It took them seven months to even respond to us, and then and only then it was Annette Long  offering $5K to try to pay $150K+ in bills. It took another three months for her to say, "Oh, all right--$7k." No matter how I tried, I couldn't make this woman understand that I simply could not pay the huge bills incurred--from my having to not work, to having to sell everything I owned, to borrowing money, to enormous medical bills-- with the very, very small amount of money she was offering.

I actually had hoped that Rite Aid was unaware of this woman's unfair, horrible dealings--her "if I starve this child long enough, she and her mother will HAVE to accept when we throw crumbs at them" attitude made me physically ill. I was hoping they'd be every bit as disgusted. I actually fantasized when/if they found out, they'd ride in like heroes and stop her, and do the right thing, offer a fair amount, apologizing all the while. I guess part of me is still hoping that.

And if they want me not to sell my story . . . first of all, as pointed out, $150K (which they haven't even committed to) JUST BARELY gets me on my feet after all the damage that's been done. They'd have to settle separately for whatever my story is worth--BY NEXT WEEK-- and since they haven't even paid Jess' bills yet, does anyone really see them doing that? Although a friend pointed out, "To save themselves the huge public tidal wave this movie will cause? They just might." I'm going to remain skeptical, but once again, everything is in their hands. (Although whether in the movie they swoop in and do the right thing, or keep threatening me to take down my blogs, is up to them).

And more than ANYTHING, I hope they've learned how to hire pharmacists who don't touch people's kids, who triple check their orders, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, if an error IS made, then simply take care of it--don't dodge it for over a year and put innocent children through such a long time before they can get the care they need.

What happened to Jess in the pharmacy was horrible. What has happened to her every day since then? That's been far, far worse.

SUMMER FUN MEANS SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!

You haven't said

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

What was LUCILLE Savage's prescription for?

SELLING MY RITE AID STORY/SEVEN FIGURES

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

WOW. Justice takes time but it has arrived.
   Rite Aid's lawyer claims to be talking in good faith when he returns in two weeks; I really hope so. My child and I have been dealing with this nightmare for such a long time

In the meantime, I have someone who is talking about selling my story for seven figures. As of the 7/18th, I'll be able to take care of Jess, get her the copious help she needs, and hopefully unravel the mess that has become our lives since our bad experience at Rite Aid, June 9, 2010.

Stories make people aware, and awareness makes people make informed choices--ESPECIALLY about how they shop. As Erin Brockavitch showed us, people want to hear what the little guy has to say; we are stepped on routinely for so long in situations like this, but with love and support, we can perservere.

I've been dealing with their lawyer for over a year

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

. . . and they keep insisting $5k-$10K is a fair offer. Since Jessica's PTSD bills ALONE are over $100K,
not to mention the fact that I haven't worked for a year because I needed to be available for her 24/7, PLUS I have to take her back for a cardiologist visit twice a year . . . it's much more than that.
    We live in CA, and it would be costly for us to go back to file in NH (where the incident occurred); they're banking on that. However, I've talked to a lot of people on line, I have a boyfriend who will help me raise the money, and I'll do it if I have to. I was hoping to keep Jess out of this, but if they give me NO choice but to file a multi-million dollar lawsuit, I will.

Thank you Robert!!

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

Yes, they physically touched her and administered the first dose of the wrong medicine.

I'll do everything you advised. Thank you!  What horrified me was when I went online, there are tons and tons of lawsuits---the state of NY filed against them for keeping over the counter meds on sale for much longer than they were supposed to. I wish I'd known this. So I'm hoping to educate other parents about this company, who a) makes mistakes left and right and b) ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to pay for the bills incurred by their errors.

I didn't want to put my daughter through a lawsuit, but I can't pay $150K + of bills with the $5k that they offered. They were hoping I'd be so desperate for any cash that I'd just take it and shut up. (I had to leave work because my daughter's panic attacks and her inability to sleep made it difficult for anyone else to deal with her; we used up our savings, every last bit of security we had for the future, and took out a $30K loan from a friend which is nearly gone. They were aware of this, and thought, "She'll be FORCED to take our pittance offer now!!")

But there's no way I'm going to let them get away with this. I'm going to spend my life, if need be, warning other parents, talking to Congressman, Senators, and most importantly, stockholders about what this company is doing. They WILL be held accountable for what they did to my daughter, and I WILL NOT let them do this to other children. The public will be informed.

Whoa...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

So you are now saying that not only did the pharmacist give your daughter the wrong prescription he actually administered the first dose.

If this is true you need to IMMEDIATELY file a report with the State of NH and the department that issued this pharmacist their license.  At the very least that should be enough to get his license at least suspended and probably revoked, and as someone suggested earlier may even be subject to criminal charges.

As for suing them.  Talk to a lawyer in your area, and have them recommend a lawyer in NH to take on your case.  The NH attorney should be able to file it on your behalf and only if it got to a point of a hearing may you actually need to go out there.  If this case is as you say I don't think you would have any issue having a lawyer take your case on a contingency basis.

Malpractice

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

As I stated above, I didn't understand how she was supposed to swallow pills (she had strep throat) so the
pharmacist administered the first dose; I didn't see the bottle until much later in the day. It was for a different patient altogether.
   The incident happened in NH, and we live in CA, so they were banking on us being unable to file a lawsuit (you have to file in the state where it happened.) Luckily we've been having fundraisers and people are OUTRAGED that Annette Long and Rite Aid would do this to such a small child, so we're going to have to go there.
    She's not at all the same girl. She has panic attacks constantly, she doesn't sleep, she doesn't socialize; she used to be the bubbliest little girl, and now she's a shadow of who she used to be. Additionally, we have to give her an extremely expensive battery of tests twice a year until her majority to make sure her heart wasn't damaged.

It was for someone else entirely

AUTHOR: Scarlett Savage - (United States of America)

I didn't understand how a little girl was supposed to get pills down through a strep-swollen throat,
so the pharmacist opened it up, placed it on her tongue, and closed her mouth, plugging her nose; Jess was forced to swallow.
   It wasn't until nine hours later, when I looked at the bottle for the first time, that I saw that it was for a LUCILLE Savage . . . not a Jessica Savage.

#24 General Comment

Press charges and get your lawsuit in fast

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

Press charges against the pharmacist for criminal negligence and whatever else you can get him/her on. And get your lawsuit in fast because Rite Aid is never more than 2 bad quarters away from bankruptcy.

More questions

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

I have a few questions too, since this also happened to my daughter about 20 years ago (not at Rite Aid). Children with strep are usually given one of the drugs in the penicillin family, and they're almost always pink liquids. Assuming your daughter's medication was in pill form, were you not curious enough to read the label? After my daughter's experience I am obsessive about checking all meds. My mother (who I provide care for) takes about 10 pills a day, and I have pictures and print outs of all of them to ensure mistakes aren't made.

Since it's been a year, how is your daughter doing now? Any long term effects?

Have you contacted an attorney? Medical malpractice is big business and it seems as if you have a pretty clear case.

Seems to me

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

That "rite aid" is more concerned with being a liquor store than a pharmacy.

Maybe the pharmacists are all hitting the bottle?

What a bunch of scumbags!

question

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

What did the label say on the medication?? What did your Dr Prescribe to your daugher? Just wondering.