Complaint Review: Riu Cancun

• Updated: Thu, November 29, 2012

• Reported By: Kate — Aldan Pennsylvania United States of America
Riu Cancun
Blvd. Kukulcan, Km 9, Manzana 50, Lote 5, Zona Hot Internet Mexico

Riu Cancun Made us pay for defective furniture that was already broken by another guest Cancun Mexico

We recently stayed at the Riu Cancun Resort. One night I had sat on a chair and it broke out from under me. Mind you, I am not a heavy person, I was completely sober at the time and it wasn't like I flopped down in it or anything else that would have possibly made it break. I told the staff about it and they acted like it was no big deal. Upon checkout they informed me that I owed them $70USD for the chair. My jaw dropped. Even after explaining to them AGAIN what happened, they didn't care. They refused to let me speak to a manager. They directed me to some customer service girl who was just as useless and unhelpful and barely understood English to boot. Then things escalated when they hinted that it broke because I "got rowdy" and maybe broke it while I was drunk or that I was too heavy for the chair. To add insult to injury when I would not let it drop, they threatened to have security confiscate my passport so I could not leave until the chair was paid for. So here I am threatened with not being able to lave not only the hotel but the COUNTRY until the chair is payed for. I'm scared to death, close to tears, shouting and embarassed in the middle of the lobby. Meanwhile the van to the airport was waiting for me and I have security hovering around my every move shouting "passport, passport." It may be "just" $70 to them, but its a good amount of money for me on my limited income. In the end I had no choice but to be humiliated and threatened into paying it and I want my money back.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/29/2012 07:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Riu-Cancun/internet/Riu-Cancun-Made-us-pay-for-defective-furniture-that-was-already-broken-by-another-guest-C-975411. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Riu Cancun