sequence

• Updated: Fri, June 28, 2013

• Reported By: Deb — Oak Lawn Illinois
Rivercrest Sewing Center
13310 S. Cicero Ave. Crestwood, Illinois USA

Rivercrest Sewing Center Advertise Free estimates, then perform Unauthorized Repairs and charge for them. Crestwood Illinois

*General Comment: Satisfied Customer

I called this place and asked if they charged for estimates on Sewing Machine Repairs. They told me they performed free estimates and they would call when they reached a conclusion about the problem and the cost of repairs. They specifically said that "No work would be perforrmed without authorizationfrom the customer." I dropped off my machine. After  week I hadn't heard from them, so I called the store. I got the answering machine, so I left my name, requested an update on the estimate, and requested a call back. A week later, still no call. I called again. This time I was told that the problem was the timing, they had done a "Tune Up", and I owed $69.95 for the work. I reminded them of their policy about not performing work without authorization. I was told that "This was what was necessary to provide an estimate".  I was stunned, and tried to reason with the man. He simply reiterated that this was necessary to provide an estimate. I called a little while later and requested to speak to the owner. I got the same man, who said he was the owner. I asked what the cost of an estimate was. This time I was told it was $20, and again that no work would be performed without my authorization. I identified myself as the person who had called earlier, and told him that I had not been told ablut the $20 charge. He argued that either he or his only other coworker would have told me about the $20 charge. He finally, (probably sensing that I was not going to just pay and go quietly), said "Just come and get your machine and I won't charge you; but there won't be any warranty". I immediately went and got it.  This is a really shady way to do business. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/28/2013 10:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rivercrest-Sewing-Center/Crestwood-Illinois/Rivercrest-Sewing-Center-Advertise-Free-estimates-then-perform-Unauthorized-Repairs-and-1062846. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rivercrest Sewing Center

#1 General Comment

Satisfied Customer

AUTHOR: Kameo - ()

I've been a customer of Rivercrest Sewing Center for years.  Initially took a sewing machine in for repair and was informed of their trade in deals (they also sell used equipment.)  Wally, the owner is well versed on the equipment he sells and other competitive brands.  In my studio I have all Brother equipment (10 key embroidery machine, a serger and 2 computerized sewing machines. They never neglected to give me a call with an estimate before moving forward to do any work.

The complaint I read where a tune-up was done without authorization is unbelievable - - if the customer is a true sewer that was a small fee to get back to her craft.