Complaint Review: Robert Crist and Company

• Updated: Sat, November 24, 2012

• Reported By: Dave — Phoenix Arizona United States of America
Robert Crist and Company
2025 East Main Street Mesa, Arizona United States of America

Robert Crist and Company Failure to discolose vehicle was not emmision tested as per sales contract. Mesa, Arizona

*Author of original report: Thanks for the information

*Consumer Comment: Repair cost

2006 Beaver Montclair purchased 9/26/11 in the contract listed was "Emission Test" the coach was to be tested and license plates secured. When we went to pick up the coach the temporary plates were there and they indicated everything was complete.

When we went to renew the license plates the coach failed emissions. When we asked for the previous test results we were told there were none. Robert Crist obtained a "director waver" and never tested the coach. This was never disclosed and we would have never accepted the vehicle without testing.

When we went back to Robert Crist and Company the first response from Tom in sales was that was impossible they had to test to transfer title. [continued below]....

..... He even gave example of a couple needing to leave the state and they had to wait for the test. He indicated he would check into this with the state.

I called DMV and within 5 min they told me it had not been tested and it had been given a waiver. When I asked they informed me that they have that option even when title is being transferred.

Today when I contacted Tom he changed his story, Robert Crist did everything required by the state to obtain the plates. Even thou our contract called for "emission test" they did nothing wrong by not disclosing it was not done.

Bottom line $900 valve job and possibly $1500 - $2000 for injectors on a C-9 cat engine with 35000 miles.

Do not believe these people, we have had the coach back multiple times for the same problems and each time when we get it back something else doesnt work. A recall on the Norcold and we find out the repair was not properly grounded and the fridge quit working. Maybe they should open the instructions when the installed it.

Buyer beware here service is no better, go anywhere but here. If you are in Arizona and buy a vehicle be sure you get the emission test results in your hand before you have $170K mistake.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/23/2012 05:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Robert-Crist-and-Company/Mesa-Arizona-85213/Robert-Crist-and-Company-Failure-to-discolose-vehicle-was-not-emmision-tested-as-per-sale-959024. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Robert Crist and Company

Thanks for the information

AUTHOR: Dave - (United States of America)

After we purchased the coach we were unable to get the maintenance records (as we were told they were available) so we replaces all filters, Air, Fuel, transmission etc and changed all fluids. We then went on a trip for Phoenix to Canada and back around 4000 miles. Prior to us buying this coach we were not sure how long it had been parked. Will take you advice and see what comes of it. Thru this we have also found they seam to have a great deal of issues testing these. They tried 4 times before failing ours.

Repair cost

AUTHOR: Kwtrucks - (USA)

First let me tell you I have been a certified Caterpillar journeyman since 1986 and I know Cat engines in my sleep.
So..before any mechanic charges you astronomical repair costs read my suggestion.

1. I doubt very much you will need injectors. So unless you engine is running poorly and not firing on all cylinders you wont need new injectors. A valve adjustment may  be needed, but probably night

You have a 2006 engine fo be grateful it isnt one of the newer engines !

The rv probably has been sitting a while so you should do the following.

change oil,filter, fuel filter,water separator filter and AIR FILTER !!

NOW before you have it tested for emission you should run it down to 1/4 tank of diesel.

Go to a truck part store and get a full gallon of CETANE.. Find the pure stuff..it comes in anti-gel additives but look for just cetane along.

forget what the recommendations are as how much should be added...PUT THE WHOLE GALLON IN THE 1/4 TANK ON YOUR rv...Drive long enough to get the engine to its operating temp and go take it in for emmissions

We use to call cetane "tune-up in a can"..you can pour some into a fuel tank while an engine is running and within a few minutes you can hear the engine start running smoother.

We would actually fill up filters with cetane if an enging had a knocking..by adding cetane it would take out any  fuel knocking so you could determine if was a mechanical knock

You biggest problem is your fuel and air filters..then add cetane !

I actuall was one of the Mechanics who installed engines into a race boat belonging to Walter Payton and Chuck Norris and they broke the record in Lake Michigan...

I know u cant give out contact info..so I will check back if you have any other questions including the possibility warranty because you have only 35k on it...a lot of times you can get cat to pay 1/2 even out of warranty...nut do the filters and cetane..
good luck !