Complaint Review: Roku

• Submitted: Thu, January 21, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, January 22, 2010

• Reported By: Karen — Sherman Oaks California United States of America
Roku

Roku BEWARE! DON'T BELIEVE THE 100% GUARANTEE ON THE ROKU PLAYER. YOU WON'T GET THAT REFUND! Internet

*Consumer Comment: Roku is awesome

I purchased the Roku SD Player after reading about it on Netflix.  Since I've been  satisfied with Netflix service until now, I didn't hesitate to buy online from Roku.  BIG MISTAKE!

I received the Roku player the week of Christmas.  I emailed Roku for the first time that week to find out how to process a return.  I was told I would receive a return shipping label in 2 to 3 business days.  A refund is supposed to be credited back within 10 days of Roku receiving the returned product.  I didn't get the label within 2-3 business days.  So, I contacted Roku again and another "case" was opened to get a shipping label sent to me by email.  A day later I got another email telling me I'd have the shipping label in 2 to 3 business days.  I didn't.

Fast forward ... it's the 21st of January.  On Thursday of last week, I agreed to wait another 2 to 3 business days for a label, which I was promised I'd have on Tuesday this week. I didn't get it.  I waited until today (considering the holiday) and called Roku again this morning. The customer service person promised me that I would have the label by email today.  I provided an alternate email address as requested.  Didn't get it and called Roku again.  I talked to three different people including a supervisor named Cathy this evening.  I was told by the first two people I'd have the shipping label -- wait for it! -- within 2 or 3 business days.  Cathy told me I would have it tomorrow.  I don't believe them.  I just want to return this Roku Player and get my money back.  You can see the money back guarantee on the Netflix website.

I called Netflix and talked to a real charmer by the name of Josh who couldn't have cared any less.  Even after I explained that I thought Netflix would want to know the guarantee isn't being honored and maybe that would be of some concern to Netflix.  He told me essentially they have nothing to do with it and he would tell the "Watch Instantly" people at Netflix about my call.  When I told Josh I expected a bit more concern on the part of Netflix he blew me off and when I said I thought I'd cancel my Netflix account over this, he said he'd be happy to help with that.  All this to say, DON'T EXPECT ANY HELP FROM NETFLIX IN GETTING YOUR REFUND FROM ROKU. Just because you find Roku through Netflix - they don't care!

My issue is the refund but I wasn't impressed with the quality of the product so really just suggesting anyone considering buying a Roku player -- do yourself a favor and don't.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/21/2010 06:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Roku/internet/Roku-BEWARE-DONT-BELIEVE-THE-100-GUARANTEE-ON-THE-ROKU-PLAYER-YOU-WONT-GET-THAT-RE-558161. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Roku

Roku is awesome

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

First of all, Netflix has NOTHING to do with Roku's products. Roku is used with Netflix, Amazon, Pandora and many other content providers. Your issues are only with Roku. We bought ours straight from Roku, Netflix was not involved at all.

I bought one and love it.  It works exactly as advertized, was incredible easy to setup and the video quality is excellent, even with our wireless router which, again, it was VERY easy to configure.

Roku rocks! A great product!

Now, of course, I will be accused of working for Roku.