Complaint Review: Room Store Retail Services

• Updated: Wed, June 04, 2008

• Reported By:Friendswood Texas
Room Store Retail Services
www.roomstore.com Internet U.S.A.

Room Store Retail Services Debt Collectors Calling after OVER Payment 1 Year EARLY Nationwide nationwide

*Consumer Suggestion: need to send a certified letter of dispute.

I purchased bedroom furniture in October 2006 on a "same as cash" promotion that allowed me to pay the full original purchase price without finance or other charges as long as it was paid off by December 2008. I was able to pay for the furniture in full in December 2007 (one year early). Unfortunately I accidentally paid $55 too much. When I got my next statement instead of the credit balance I expected, my account was suddenly "PAST DUE" and the finance charges that should have been removed were increased. I contacted the company by phone and paper mail to request my refund of the overpayment and to have them correct their computer error. Instead of this they sent bill collectors calling on my cell phone. Since March 25, 2008 they have called over 100 times in spite of being told that the charges they were collecting on were: 1) not correct; 2) even if they were correct not due until December 2008. I told them not to call on my that number. According to federal law, they can not legally call after being told to stop or being told that the charges they are attempting to collect have been disputed. I have sent a letter to the CEO and a "stop harassment" letter quoting the federal law. Yesterday I received this month's statement and there are three new charges -- each with their own promotion plan that coincidentally cover the finance charges that they added on when I paid the account off plus a new late fee. Today I just found out from my bank that the Room Store is destroying my credit with these fraudulent charges and fake past due reports.

Frustated
Friendswood, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/16/2008 03:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Room-Store-Retail-Services/internet/Room-Store-Retail-Services-Debt-Collectors-Calling-after-OVER-Payment-1-Year-EARLY-Nationw-326581. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Room Store Retail Services

#1 Consumer Suggestion

need to send a certified letter of dispute.

AUTHOR: Rachel - (U.S.A.)

You need to write a letter of dispute...don't expect a refund after all that. Send it asap, they cannot call you and cannot go on your credit report. Find out what the statute of limitations are for debt in your state. After those number of years have passed, they cannot sue you.

If they(same co) continues to harass you you can sue them. If it goes to another debt collector...do the same thing with the letter of dispute.

Google Fair Debt Collection Practice Act and find out your rights!