Complaint Review: Royal Dandie Pigs

• Reported By: milaminut — Brentwood Tennessee United States of America
Royal Dandie Pigs

Royal Dandie Pigs Patty Sorenson Royal Disaster, Internet

*General Comment: Royal Dandie Mini Pigs

I purchased a Royal Dandie Extreme from Patty Sorenson for $6000.  Ms Sorenson advertised, and stated in several phone conversations that the Royal Dandie Extreme was much smaller than the original Royal Dandie, with the projected weight of 15-29 lbs if fed and exercised correctly.

My piglet arrived with Pattys special food blend ~ Patty warned against feeding anything else, as the piglets did "not have the taste" for anything else.  Patty advised against letting my piglet graze on any grass, as that might lead to weight gain.

I fed my piglet and exercised my piglet EXACTLY as Patty advised.  When she was 1 yr old, and already 29lbs, I contacted Patty to let her know that my piglet had already exceeded the growth projection for her breed ~  Patty responded that "all pigs mature at different rates, and that this is what has most likely happened to mine.  As these pigs grow and are not mature until 3 yrs of age ...

Being fed the diet that Patty advised, At 1yr, and 29lbs, my piglet had ripples over her rib cage ~

Patty claimed that I had been overfeeding ~ I had been feeding her the EXACT amount of her "special" food, with 1/2 to 1 cup of raw squash between meals for snacking.  Patty advised that I pick a less caloric snack ...   What could be less caloric than RAW SQUASH???

I also own two 8yr old potbellied pigs ~ One purchased for $75, and the other for $50.

As my little piglet grows, it is obvious that she is not the "mini" pig that Patty Sorenson leads her customers to believe.

Since then I have met several (5) other Royal Dandie owners who's Royal Dandies were 3 yrs +, and weight between 100-125 lbs.  Seeing pictures of these pigs, they were definitely not fat .  I had been STRICTLY monitoring my pigs food as advised by Patty,  I feel terrible when I look back at the photo of my piglet at  1 yr when her ribcage was clearly outlined on her body.  My Veterinarian advised me to switch IMMEDIATELY to Mazuri Elder Pig Chow, as it appeared that the food from the Royal Dandie outfit lacked the appropriate nutrients, and that the amounts that Patty advised were basically starving the animal hoping to curb its growth.   At 14 mos old,  I have an adorable solid and well nourished piglet weighing in at 35lbs ...

It is very obvious to me and to my veterinarian, that Patty has created a hype , and is selling regular potbellied pigs to unsuspecting consumers who are charmed by the cute babies on Pattys website.  Pigs can reproduce at 3 months old, which is why the "parents" that Patty shows weigh only 15lbs or so.

Again, these pigs do not stop growing until they are 3 yrs old.   Every accredited Potbellied Pig Association or Entity will back up these claims ...

Patty is not a member of the Miniature Potbelly and Pig Registry

In Summary, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A MATURE MINI PIG THAT WEIGHS 30 LBS OR LESS !!
THIS IS A SCAM !

That is, 35 lbs and counting!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/04/2013 06:40 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Royal-Dandie-Pigs/internet/Royal-Dandie-Pigs-Patty-Sorenson-Royal-Disaster-Internet-1008820. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Royal Dandie Pigs

#1 General Comment

Royal Dandie Mini Pigs

AUTHOR: PH - ()

I too have had experience with the Royal Dandie pigs. I have a small scale potbellied pig rescue and some of them came to me (I have the papers to prove it) and I know others that also have these pigs.  If these pigs are fed according to breeder's instructions, they are being malnourished.  They are being fed minimal amounts of food only to sustain them, but their organs and skeletal structure will not develop normally and that will result in long term effects of stunted growth and even a shorter life span.

We receive many many calls from people that have purchased these Royal Dandie pigs as well as all the other various labels the various breeders use to make an easy buck (nano pig, micro mini, pygmy, teacup, pixie, petite) and to trick and mislead the general public.  What happens is that these breeders have pictures of "the parents" of these pigs on their websites, but in most cases, the parents are still babies themselves. Pigs breed at a very young age and are extremely prolific.  The fact is that pigs do not reach full maturity until they are 4-5 years of age. Every healthy Royal Dandie I know of and have personally been in contact with, at full maturity, is at or in excess of 100 pounds.

The first RD pig that I received was one of the gifts in the swag bags at the Golden Globe awards several years ago. He has since been re-homed and is right at  about 100 pounds.