Complaint Review: Rsvp Discount Beverage & Redemption Center

• Updated: Mon, November 19, 2012

• Reported By: internet1 — United States of America
Rsvp Discount Beverage & Redemption Center
887 Forest Ave Portland, Maine United States of America

Rsvp Discount Beverage & Redemption Center RSVP Outrageously rude employees and poor business practices Portland, Maine

*General Comment: Maine State Law

*Consumer Suggestion: Uncommon Sense

I'm not going back to this place after having been treated rudely not once, but TWICE in a row here.  Both times it's been the old lady working the register.

Tonight, I wanted to buy a bottle of wine and six pack of Guinness.  I hold out my AMERICAN PASSPORT to the lady and she looks me dead in the eye and goes, "ID?"  I gesture to my passport.  And she's like "We only take state ID's here."  I say, "I'm sorry?  US Customs takes this.  I can get into the country with this ID but not buy beer?"  And she just laughs and says "Sorry, store policy."  Also let me add, I'm over 25, so that idiot rule didn't apply either.

DEAR RSVP:

- Do you know what kind of ID one uses to RECEIVE a driver's license?  Yes, that's right, one presents a PASSPORT as the highest and most valid form of identification, requiring no second form of identification.

- Do you know how much less likely it is for you to ever encounter a fake passport than a fake Maine driver's license?  An American passport costs over $10K on the black market.  It's a huge felony to make them.  And they're really hard to make.

- I'M FREAKING TWENTY-SEVEN!

Like Jeff K. said, I'm not supporting a store with such idiotic policies.  Way to lose a local customer with disposable income, guys.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/18/2012 09:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rsvp-Discount-Beverage-Redemption-Center/Portland-Maine-04103/Rsvp-Discount-Beverage-Redemption-Center-RSVP-Outrageously-rude-employees-and-poor-busi-971143. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rsvp Discount Beverage & Redemption Center

#1 General Comment

Maine State Law

AUTHOR: Etienne - (USA)

I am so sorry for your experience but while the employee stated that it was store policy it is in fact Maine State Law.  I know because I was refused entrance to a local bar in Portland because I had my passport but not my driving license. (And I am in my fifties.)  I contacted the state and found out it inbdeed was the law.  AND.... only a Maine issued ID is legal in the sate of Maine.  If I were to have an ID from another state.....well too bad for me.  Also Massachussetts would not let me buy a bottle of wine at the grocery because I had a Maine driver's license not a Massachussetts license.  I couldn't believe it either!!!!!!  State laws are evidently more bizarre than I ever thought.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Uncommon Sense

AUTHOR: citizen22 - ()

I have stopped in to this store many times since I moved to Maine 5 years ago. The staff has never been anything but polite and helpful. When I inquired about the signage throughout the store expressly stating that passports or out of state IDs (where the individual is under 25) will not be accepted, the employee answered with a question of his own: "If you owned a liquor store and the sole thing that keeps you in business (and your employees gainfully employed) is a liquor license, wouldn't you go above and beyond to ensure that it was never put in jeopardy?" It struck me then as a wise move by a prudent small business owner. And their longevity in the industry no doubt proves this. They also go to great lengths to inform you of their policy with SEVERAL signs throughout the store. They don't want you to waste your time either. They, I'm sure, would love to have your business when you can meet their requirements. It seems pretty reasonable....