Complaint Review: Ryder Truck Rental

• Submitted: Tue, March 12, 2002
  • Updated: Wed, August 13, 2003

• Reported By:
Ryder Truck Rental
www.ryder.com Oceanside, New York U.S.A.

Ryder Truck Rental ripoff the business that doesn't give a dam Oceanside New York

*Consumer Suggestion: Everybody wants a truck on Saturday morning

*UPDATE Employee: Consumer Beware

I was moving from NY to Maryland and had reserved a Ryder Truck. I was to pick it up on Saturday and return it on Monday. On Friday they called and told me the truck wasn't there yet but that it shoud be there by 10AM Saturday morning and that they would call me.

I called at 11 after not hearing form them and they told me there was no truck. They told me there was nothing they could do. I asked if they could check other locations and the told me they were too busy. They gave me an 800# to call Ryder Corpporate. I called that number and after 45 minutes finally spoke with someone who advise me that I only reserved a rate, not a truck. I told him I was going to have a difficult time moving my belongings in a rate. He told me there was nothing they could do.

I had sold my house and had to be out by Monday so I called around. The kind hearted folks at Sears rent a truck offered to give me a truck for $750 + $1 per mile for a cost of over $1,000. I called U-Haul and the man was very sympathetic. He was able to tell me that he had 7 trucks due in the next two days but he had 5 people waiting in front of me but that as soon as he had one he would call me. He gave me his cell phone number so I could call him directly.

Now that is customer service. I contacted Ryder several more times and they were basically useless. They offered no help, no sympathy and no financial restitution now due to the fact that the people who were going to help me would have to take a day off from work to help me move. I finally got a truck, from U-Haul, on Sunday afternoon.

I moved and their truck was great. On Tuesday...4 days after I was supposed to have the truck, Ryder called and told me I should come and pick it up. Pathetic! I would rather carry the stuff on my back than call Ryder again. It is no surprise to see so many complaints against them here.

N
Annapolis, Maryland

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Ryder

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/12/2002 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ryder-Truck-Rental/Oceanside-New-York/Ryder-Truck-Rental-ripoff-the-business-that-doesnt-give-a-dam-Oceanside-New-York-16585. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ryder Truck Rental

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Everybody wants a truck on Saturday morning

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

You did not say exactly when this occurred, other than it was a Saturday. Guess what -- this is the day everyone wants a truck.

If you want to be disappointed, plan to pick up a truck on Saturday morning. If you want to add to your disappointment, try to get a truck on the last Saturday of the month. If you really want to be monumentally disappointed, try to get a truck on the last Saturday of the month on a long weekend, such as Thanksgiving. And if you are a true masochist, plan to pick a rental truck on the last Saturday in May, which is not only the beginning of Memorial Day weekend but also the date that every jerk in the U.S. will be moving across the country now that the school year has ended.

This customer was clearly upset and had every right to be.

It might have helped if the customer had gone to the dealership a few days ahead of time and spoken with the employees to ensure there were no problems with the equipment availability. While the employees may not have been able to predict the future, they do have an indication of whether or not the equipment is going to be available a few days ahead of time.

Understand also that the personnel who work in those locations rarely have much control over equipment availability. While I don't know what caused this specific equipment shortage, suffice to say that many times the shortages are caused by other customers not returning equipment when they are supposed to do so. Another problem occurs during peak moving season (Labor Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc..)There simply is not enough equipment to accomodate evey person who wishes to move. This customer could have chosen to move at a different time of the month. Mid-month weeks are usually the best times to move, since avaiability and pricing do favor the consumer at these times.

As far as the company not offering any monetary compensation for (not) having the equipment at the time promised - this customer isn't going to find any truck rental company who could afford to have a policy of that nature.

With a little forethought, proper planning, and personal contact with the truck rental loaction employees, this problem might have been avoided altogether.