Complaint Review: SAMS Club

• Submitted: Thu, September 12, 2002
  • Updated: Tue, March 10, 2009

• Reported By:tampa fl
SAMS Club
State Road 60 in Brandon, FL Brandon, Florida U.S.A.

SAMS Club hid fees in credit card application. Brandon Florida

*Consumer Comment: Sams club

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: No hidden fees on Sam's Club Credit

*Consumer Comment: college " GRAD " HUMMMMM

*Consumer Comment: There are no fees

One day as I was going into SAMS club to shop, I stopped at a table that was set up near the entrance to sign up for SAMS credit cards.

I already had a VISA, but SAMS will not accept credit cards.

I looked at the form and read through it. I was looking for fees of any kind. I did not see any. I asked the lady who was a SAMS employee if there were any fees with this credit card. She read the form and said she did not see any.

It was a short form, so I filled it out. And was told to pick my credit card up at the front desk in the near future. I forgot about it and never picked up the credit card.

Not too long after that, I got a bill for $32. I did not know what to think. I never picked up my credit card. I just tossed the bill in the garbage. I got a few more bills. Then I got a bill for around $70 something, for back fees. I wonder where they got that
number from?

I am lead to beleive that SAMS hid the fee in the application, perhaps with lawyer lingo. I did not see it, and I have a BA and work as a computer coordinator. The lady that was representing SAMS did not see any fees on the form, and she appeared to be a bright lady.

Then I started to get their threatening letters about turning me over to a collection agency.

Then a collection agency started calling. I told them I was not going to pay. I never picked up the credit card and I did not see any fees on the form and that the SAMS employee told me she did not see any fees.

That did not matter to SAMS, they cancelled my membership. All for a credit card I never received. And I think they contacted the credit bureau to put a bad mark against my credit.

They are clearly not after customer service, but they are after the customer's money.

I can't beleive they wanted me to give them $70 some odd for a credit card I never even picked up.

I will now do my shopping at Costco instead of SAMS. And I will probably not darken the door of a Walmart, which owns SAMS.

Tampa, Florida

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Sams Club

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/12/2002 12:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SAMS-Club/Brandon-Florida/SAMS-Club-hid-fees-in-credit-card-application-Brandon-Florida-29839. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SAMS Club

Sams club

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Okay, first off, on the first posting, you never throw anything away in the trash. Take a look at it.

The problem that I have is about the APR and finance charges.

They stated that duration of the card they can't lower it.

I guess that I am going to have to reapply for a membership but you know what there are other alternatives such as buying from a distributor.

Thats called losing a customer.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

No hidden fees on Sam's Club Credit

AUTHOR: Joanne M - (U.S.A.)

I worked for Sam's Club at the membership desk about 6 years ago and know that there are no hidden fees on their credit card. If you had gone to the Membership desk they would have called the credit company and told them of the dispute, there would be an investigation on the account. They have ways of finding out how the charges were done. They will pull security tapes if they have to, to find out when, where and who used the card. One time we had a lady say she had not used her card in months only to be very embarrassed to find out her grandson used the card without her knowledge. There was another time when someone said that they was a fraud charge on her debit account. We looked through the receipt transactions together and she had forgotten that she went to get gas after shopping in the club.

The complaints that I do remember from members were the fact that they were not aware that they would be autobilled for their membership fee for having the Sam's Club Credit or Sam's Club Discover Credit. That information is on the application and you must mark the "check here" if you do not want to be autobilled. That is a easy fix by a Membership desk associate calling credit services and they will take them off of autobill and they will be refunded the membership fee on their bill.

college " GRAD " HUMMMMM

AUTHOR: Margaret - (U.S.A.)

ok first of all, I have been a Sam's club customer for 4 years and have had a Sam's club credit card for 3 of the 4 years. I went to renew my membership and they asked me if I wanted to apply for a credit membership card.

I said ok, filled out the form and got the new credit card in 10 minutes, did not have to wait for it, and was not told to come pick it up in a few days, and in regard to getting a bill in the mail for 32.00, I mean REALLY, who gets a bill they don't understand and throws it away. I don't understand the whole deal, Sam's doesn't have seperate credit cards, the membership card is the credit card, so they would not have told her to pick it some time in the future, and lastly, I would assume that someone with a college education would investigate the bill not just ignore it, I only graduated from high school and I have enough sense to know better than to just throw it away, which just proves my point, that common sense isn't all that commom. Also, I cannot speak for Florida but here in Arizona, sams does accept Visa, I have a Visa debit card and my friend has a regular Visa and both are accepted all the time
vicky in Phoenix

There are no fees

AUTHOR: L. - ()

For someone with a BA, you sure are an idiot. If I got a bill, and didn't understand the charges, I certainly wouldn't just toss it in the trash. Why didn't you call and ask what it was for, rather than let it go on for months and months?

Also, I am a member of Sam's Club and they don't give you a "credit card". Your member card with your picture on it serves as the credit card. When you have "credit" benefits at Sam's, they automatically renew your member fees and put it on the monthly bill. That's probably what the $32.00 was for.

Maybe if you had a brain you would have called and figured it out. Next time, don't just toss bills into the trash, and then cry about it when you are sent to collections. It's your own fault for not calling and asking questions.