Complaint Review: SEARS, ROEBUCK & CO.

• Submitted: Sat, August 09, 2003
  • Updated: Tue, April 20, 2004

• Reported By:SEVERN Maryland
SEARS, ROEBUCK & CO.
8225 CLOVERLEAF DRIVE MILLERSVILLE, Maryland U.S.A.

SEARS, ROEBUCK & CO. LIED TO ME MILLERSVILLE Maryland

*Consumer Suggestion: I suggest you file a report about the person who cut the grass

*Consumer Suggestion: $500 for grass cutting? I think not.

I purchased a power mower from sears last year. This year when I started mowing the motor locked up. I called Sears repair service (1-800-4 MY HOME) to fix it under warranty. On May 8 they came and determined it needed a new engine and ordered one.

Two weeks later a technician came and said the wrong motor had been ordered and that he would order the right one. Two weeks later they came and fixed the mower.

In the mean time I called them and complained that my grass was getting very high and because of their screw ups on ordering the new motor it was taking quite a long time before I could get my grass cut. I called national hq. and was told to get the grass cut and Sears would pay for it. At no time did anyone tell me that there was a limit on how much Sears would pay for it to be cut.

So I engaged a grass cutter to do the job, it is two acres and the grass, by this time, was 24 inches high. He charged me $500.00 to cut the grass. I didnt think this was too much since he had to cut it twice and it is two acres.

When I contacted Sears for the reimbursement they told me the most they would pay was $50.00. This was the first I had heard of a limit on how much they would pay. If I had known they would only pay this much I would have just waited until the mower was fixed and cut it myself. Thats what I bought a mower for.

After twice calling and faxing the cutting bill and trying to get
my $500 back as promised I gave up. I was told because I argued and would not take the $50.00, they would not pay me anything. My Sears claim # is 95076708

Cecil
SEVERN, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/09/2003 08:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SEARS-ROEBUCK-CO/MILLERSVILLE-Maryland/SEARS-ROEBUCK-CO-LIED-TO-ME-MILLERSVILLE-Maryland-65497. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SEARS, ROEBUCK & CO.

#1 Consumer Suggestion

I suggest you file a report about the person who cut the grass

AUTHOR: Randell - (U.S.A.)

$500 to mow a 2-acre lawn (even twice) is an egregious rip-off, and I'm not surprised Sears isn't willing to pay it. Did you get any other quotes before you had this done? Any estimates? Or did you just tell him to cut it and then paid whatever bill he presented?

Perhaps more tellingly, did you tell him that you were being reimbursed by Sears for the cost of cutting? That's like a dinner bell if he's at all unscrupulous.

You should file a report about the person who cut your lawn, or contact the local BBB, etc. Even in the not-cheap suburb I live in, something like that should be no more than $100, and quite possibly more like $75. Perhaps less if there aren't a lot of trees/gardens/etc.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

$500 for grass cutting? I think not.

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

I can't think of any reputable company that is going to charge you $500 to mow two acres of grass. You DID get ripped off in your situation, but it was not by Sears. I suggest you contact the company that you had mow your grass and have a few words with them.