My latest problem with SallieMae stems from an issue of verification (i.e., my not wanting to provide my social security number over the telephone). While I had no problem giving SallieMae my account number and address, I refused to give my social security number. My family had already suffered from being victimized from identity theft. Further, it is not necessary nor mandatory to give such information. However, the SallieMae Rep, DEMANDED that I do so, else, I would, without provocation ,be accused of being uncooperative, or of being an excuse makerliterally. This was quite unjust since it was documented that my doctors and I had been, to the best of my knowledge, communicating continuously and properly.
In any event, by 12/28/2011, I had made 3 updated referenced complaints with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) against SallieMae. On one call I even 3-wayed SallieMae reps in with the FTC. The FTC witnessed (and recorded) the unethical behavior of the SallieMae Rep as I politely requested that my home number not be called again. I requested instead that SallieMae send their request in writing or even send the Sherrif with legal action that I would gladly answer. The SallieMae Rep's response was to threaten to call me on the hour (while the FTC Agent was on the phone) . The FTC Agent provided me with another reference number and asked if I had contacted my Attorney General's office. I was also informed that these collection agent's could not call my home after 9pm.
No sooner had I ended the call with the FTC did SallieMae call my home again. I answered (as I had been doing for months). The SallieMae Rep had gone and gotten her male supervisor. On this call I decided to 3-way in my local police department. The Police Operator listening in put an investigator on the line. The investigator informed me that I could file a warrant for Harassing Communication. In addition I filed a complaint with my Attorney General's office. In addition, I faxed a brief description of facts and Cease and Desist to the CEO of SallieMae, Mr. Albert L. Lord (Below is a closing sample).
Mr. Albert L. Lord , CEO
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190
United States - Map
Dear Mr. Lord:
I demand that you have these employees cease and desist, what has been described by the police department as harassing communication.
My Disclaimer: I'm no lawyer so these are only TIPs:
1. Call the FTC: 877-382-4357 and file a complaint with them; Keep your reference number!
2. Tell the offending party to "Stop Calling" (always address them as Sir or Ma'am and let them know they are harassing you) and/or Fax a letter to the offending partys CEO
3. Try to record or 3-way the offending party in with your police department or another agency
4. Contact your local police department and ask about filing a Harassing Communication warrant/report
5. Contact your Attorney General's Office; File an Online Complaint
6. Call the Department of Education and find out about the Loan Forgiveness Applications and DISCHARGE APPLICATON FOR TATAL AND PERMANENT DISABILITY (DR HAS TO FILL THIS ONE OUT CAN BE FOUND ON INTERNET)