Complaint Review: SMART START

• Reported By: Kurt — Rio Rancho New Mexico United States of America
SMART START
4850 Plaza Drive Irving, Texas United States of America

SMART START Faulty equipment, nonexistant customer service Irving, Texas

*Author of original report: Defective and they lie

Very glitchy!!  Violations for nothing then it starts right up.  Gets stuck and won't let you blow at all.  They don't answer emails because this would document problems with the system.  After calling the 800 number repeatedly and getting put on hold I just stayed on hold until someone answered.....more than 30 minutes just to have someone tell me I didn't hum loud enough, blew too hard, didn't blow hard enough and no response to the "abort early" problems.  BAD PRODUCT AND LITTLE TO NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2010 02:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SMART-START/Irving-Texas-75063/SMART-START-Faulty-equipment-nonexistant-customer-service-Irving-Texas-585541. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SMART START

Defective and they lie

AUTHOR: Kurt - (United States of America)

Primatene mist is 34% alcohol and yet I was told to my face and in an email message by two separate Smart Start installers that inhalers will not cause a problem when using the Smart Start Ignition Interlock.  Are they just liars or what you would call them good businessmen.   The fact that Smart Start will not respond via written media tells something also.

I called the installer two days before I had to go in for the calibration to make sure I could bring it in the morning of 3/31 (today).  I went out to start my truck this morning and the unit would not respond beyond "Initializing", after that nothing.  I turned the key off and back on three times - same thing.  I blew into it "Abort neg" and nothing else; btw what does THAT mean?  Abort neg isn't listed on any paperwork I've got.  I disconnected it and reconnected it twice, nothing.  I changed mouthpieces, nothing.  I called the installer who told me they had been trying to call me to tell me that the "girl" was leaving at 10 and had wanted to change my time - how nice considering I had called them to make sure it was going to work.  They didn't know what to do with this "new" (improved?) model and would call me back.   Called back and told me to try to start the truck and it finally started working.  This equipment is obviously defective and if it is no more reliable in every other way is it really reliable as far as detecting alcohol? I doubt it.
Smart Start needs to make a device that actually functions or take it off the market.  At least tell the truth and actually give the customer service Smart Start so proudly advertises (falsely).