- Report: #126000
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: SMC Specialty Merchandise Corporation
SMC Specialty Merchandise Corporation9447 Desoto Avenuee Chatsworth, California U.S.A.
SMC Specialty Merchandise Corporation, Emerchantclub Their Fraud Alert is aimed at Forcing You To Purchase A Website From Emerchantclub Where is the CEO Chatsworth California
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
I saw the info on tv that you could get started for as little as $25.00. My wife told me to be careful with it i did not listen and proceeded to call them as soon as i got up this morning.
The first step that I took was to go to smcorp to sign up for the $25.00 star your own business pack.I soon found out that it would actually cost me $39.95 for 9 months $384.00. My wife warned me that it sounded too good to be true. But I really wanted to add some extra income to the household. So I continued back to their website after beig told that I could signup online.
I had put all of my credit card info in and was about to push go and they have this smc members standards that you must agree to in order to purchase the membership. Itried to read the membership agreement but it was just so hard to read because they have stuffed it in this little box.
I went back a step and found it on another page where it was more readable. As I read on and on it started getting more suspecting. I got to this section
6. Termination. SMC may immediately terminate your membership if you breach any provision of these Rules, engage in any prohibited activities or do business with any Proscribed Merchant or if you fail to pay any fees or charges when due. SMC also reserves the right to terminate any membership upon refund of the most recent annual fee. If your membership is terminated for any reason other than non-payment, you may not rejoin SMC, either directly or through another person. The provisions of Sections 7 through 18 will survive termination.
I did not know what a proscribed merchant was and I really did not want to pay lose almost $400.00. I started snooping around on the internet and found their smcfraudalert.com and noticed a large list of proscribed merchants that they say if you do business with them that they will terminate your membership and keep your money.
Icalled the 1-800-345-4762 after going through about 4 people I got a lady Merna and I asked her about the membership agreement she told me that yes it was true that if I was to become a member I am only allowed to purchase a website from emerchat club. I asked her where is that in writing she informed me that she for some raeson could not pull it up. She told me to call another # and they would help me.
Before I called I went back to their website to read the member agreement. Once again I found another paragraph that feel that if I went through with this purchase that there are some forceful restraints that come with this package.
7. Prohibited Activities. You may not directly or indirectly (a) use the names SMC or Specialty Merchandise in the conduct of your business, (b) infringe on any SMC trade names, trademarks or copyrights, (c) contact or solicit other SMC members, (d) use your SMC membership in any manner or for any purpose other than selling SMC products, (e) engage in any unlawful, unfair or deceptive business practice, (f) fail to conduct your business in an honest and ethical manner, (g) engage in any abusive, tortious or unprofessional language or conduct, (h) violate any applicable law or regulation, (i) compete against SMC or its affiliates, (j) do anything to harm SMC, its affiliates or other members, or degrade SMC's goodwill or reputation, or (k) do business with any person who does any of the foregoing or is listed as a Proscribed Merchant.
10. Trademarks and Copyrights. You may not use the names SMC or Specialty Merchandise, the SMC logo or any other trademarks or trade names of SMC or its affiliates, or any confusingly similar names, in any manner. You may not use the name or likeness of any SMC spokesperson, employee or other member. You may not copy or link to www.smcorp.com or any other website of SMC or its affiliates. You may not copy or use any copyrighted text, graphics or online content of SMC or its affiliates. You may only copy or use designated SMC product descriptions, product photographs and .jpg files on your website to advertise products you purchased from SMC for sale to your customers, and not in any other manner or for any other purpose. You may not delegate or authorize any other person do so, whether on your behalf or otherwise.
20. Entire Agreement. The agreement you entered into when you joined SMC and these Rules constitute the complete agreement between you and SMC, and supersede any other promise, representation or agreement, whether written or oral.
I really felt that something was not right so I called the # that she had given me it turned out to be Emerchantclub the first guy that I talked to was Jack I asked him about the membership he told me that he could take care of them both i said both of what he said the membership and the website I said well maybe a website would be nice so he told me that the websites start at $500 to $2590.00.he informed me upfront that they work with smc because they sign the checks and emerchant is the only company that they endorse
I told him first that I wanted to address the having my membership terminated if I should deal with the prosctribed merchant at first he was easy going especially when he was explaining the website features and i was all in.I insisted on knowing that since it now looked like I would be spending over $3000.00 I really wanted to know about the termination and proscribed merchants,once again he could not go over the agreement with me his computer was not working he finally stopped the sales pitch asked me what did I want to do. I requested a manager he transferred me to Greg.
I asked Greg to explain the whole siutation to me,he was nice for about the same amount of time until he finally went to the website smcfraudalert.com,and told me that these guys were frauds and that they do not have access to the warehouse products and that could make me lose orders and customers he denied the website all the way around proclaiming that these guys were being or had been sued would be grounds for termination and he really could not help me with the answers that I needed I guess I asked one too many questions he hung up on me.
I called right back and got him he then transferred me back to jack who then hung up on me.I then did a little research on all the companies on the list. I could not find not one complaint on any of them except emerchant club and smc themselves there are complaints all over the internet about these two. I checked them all out right there on the site.
At this point I called back to see if i could get the supervisor's supervisor I got Latonya who also seemed to have computer problems and could not pull it up.Her reply was that it really did not matter where I purhased the website from She again denied or could not acknowledge the membership termination she was not much help i then requested her supervisor now comes Richard Pitts on the line, he assures me that he will take care of my concerns so that I could get signed up.He also for some reason could not locate the membership agreement and he also had computer problems he was finally able to pull it up and could not beleive what he saw
He did acknowledge that I was free to purchase a website from anywhere that I chose to but could offer no explanitation as to having the membership terminated should I do this.he needed to check into this and would call me back which he did and he still could not offer me no current info but would have to call me back.He then wanted to know my plans buy or not
My response was well my wife had already said that if I wanted a website I could get it for us if I did have to spend $3000.00 But before I could make a descision like this I wanted to make sure that I needed full details on this termination if I decided on one of the other companies.I guess I askede him one too many questions he told me he did not care if I bought it or not. I then requested his supervisor
I then got David Booth who informed me that he was one of 4 supervisors. He refused to tell me who the other 3 supervisors were. He also danced around the membership issue and once again he could not pull up the website to help ease my concerns he also wanted to know my plans boy they sure are ready to charge my card without me knowing all the facts.I also noticed that some lady was in the background and asked David why was I requesting all of these names and numbers well I guess I once again asked one too many questions so he suggested that I call John Kirland his supervisor.So to get a head start in the rat race I asked for John Kirkland supervisor who was Kevin Biggs
I could not get through to these two people but I did get a lady name Louisa who was not much help at all she too had computer problems and could not address the membership termination but she did say that all of these guys were frauds.
I am getting very tired I have been on the phone all day and have not been able to get one solid answer.She gave me another #a 620 #I told her that I had been on the phone all day and I needed a 1800#. From there I got Nicole Volbar she was ready to process my order but I told her I needed info before I could purchase anything she said sure but when I told her it was about member termination procribed merchants on the website she backed off and put me over to BEBE Sherman
At this point I am used to the whole scenorio she also reassured me that these guys were frauds and that they were ripping people off she also had problems pulling up the fraud alert website after I repeated it to her www.smcfraudalert.com about 10 times she finally pulled it up and I got I piece of mind and she hung up.
I am so glad that I found this site, if not I would be out of over $3384.00 and still not have the answers that I will need for my wife. I have never seen such rude aggressive salesmen and woman. I don't know how much farther I would have to go up the chain to get answers before I spend my money.
I have every right to spend my money any way that I choose and this is a clear indication that the reason that they put all of those companies on the fraud alert website.
They will literally shove a website in your face and take your money.They only person that did not try and sell me a membersip was the prerecorded men & women who talk on the recording while you are on hold
Is this what all of the customers go through to become a member?
I have talked to about 14 people today about this membership and website business and I still do not have a answer as to why is there is restriction on who you can purchase your website from and a clear cut understanding on the membership termination.Where is the CEO or the owner of the company?
Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Specialty Merchandise Corp. SMC
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2005 06:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SMC-Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation/Chatsworth-California-913114991/SMC-Specialty-Merchandise-Corporation-Emerchantclub-Their-Fraud-Alert-is-aimed-at-Forcing-126000. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.