Complaint Review: SOMEDIA NETWORKS BBN3

SOMEDIA NETWORKS BBN3 Non-payment, scam, hoax, Vancouver, BC Canada Internet

*General Comment: Smooth Sailing

*General Comment: Always Received Payment

*UPDATE Employee: Company Response

I did my very first video shoot as an independent contractor for BBN3 in February 2012. They made me rent lighting for the shoot and said they would reimburse me for the cost. They made me drive 45 minutes to the shoot and said they would reimburse me the gas mileage.

I met all their requirements. The entire shoot was shot in HD. I tried to upload the footage to their website. Their website was NOT working. So I drove another 30 minutes to my spouse office in order to try his computer. Their website was still not working. So I burned all the footage onto a DVD and spent $44 to FedEx the package overnight. They said they would reimburse me the charges.

They emailed me a few days later and said that my footage did not meet their "high quality standards" and they were not going to pay me. So now I'm out $40 for the cost of lighting rental. 120 minutes of gas mileage at $3.95 a gallon AND $44 for the FedEx charges. BBN3 is a SCAM. A RIP-OFF. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do from Buffalo, NY as I'm over 3000 miles away. STAY AWAY FROM BBN3

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/02/2012 06:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SOMEDIA-NETWORKS-BBN3/internet/SOMEDIA-NETWORKS-BBN3-Non-payment-scam-hoax-Vancouver-BC-Canada-Internet-847881. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SOMEDIA NETWORKS BBN3

#1 General Comment

Smooth Sailing

AUTHOR: Videographer Nik - (Canada)

As a videographer that has completed numerous assignments with SoMedia, I can safely say they have been as smooth as clients get. From communication to workflow to payment I've had zero issues dealing with them. Having a defined shot list with coherent direction really makes the process flow well.

As an independent contractor, I feel streamlining the workflow on my own end is key. From being equipped with ample lighting and gear to understanding ways in which to deliver todays' larger file sizes, we as contractors should be prepared. Even if Murphy's Law rears it's head at the end of the day it's on us to deliver.

It's these little snags and how we handle them that separate the Videographer from the person with a video camera.

Ideally, I'd like all my clients to communicate and collaborate like SoMedia has.

#2 General Comment

Always Received Payment

AUTHOR: RV - (United States of America)

I've been working with SoMedia as a freelance videographer and editor for five months now and they've always paid me for projects within their allotted payment period, no fail.

SoMedia's quality requirements for shooting and editing are very specific and laid out from the beginning of the project, so I always knew what they wanted and expected of my deliveries. As a freelancer I consider myself bound--contactually and ethically--to produce work based on what was discussed at the onset of the project, and then be paid accordingly.

As such, I've never delivered work to SoMedia that wasn't agreed on from the start. (After all, a freelancer's reputation for delivering projects on spec and on time is what gets them work. If I ever botched a freelance gig I'd sure as heck try my darndest to rectify the situation to save my reputation with the client to ensure future work.) I don't own my own lights and SoMedia has never made me rent lights on their dime if I needed them on a shoot. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in charge of sourcing my own equipment. If the client ever said they would comp me for any incidentals, I'd make sure to get everything in writing to help back up my claims later because without proof, my claims may as well not exist.

As SoMedia has never missed a payment with me for any of my freelance projects (and I've done close to a dozen jobs for them), I'm not quite certain why this complaint exists. But as the saying goes, there's always two sides to every story.

Company Response

AUTHOR: SoMedia Networks - (Canada)

We've been in business producing video content across North America since 2006.  Through our cloud based video content production platforms we provide resale, white-label, and  on-demand video production services for hundreds of clients which include web services companies, digital agencies, publishers, and broadcasters.  We work with a nationwide network of over 3000 videographers and pay for all content produced for us which meets our strict quality control requirements.

Like any business we occasionally have problems with the quality of work that an individual delivers and it's our policy to ask for changes or improvements sufficient for the content to be accepted.  Because our number one priority is to provide our clients with the highest quality of video content available we offer videographers fees which are better than market rates in most cases.

We're incredibly proud of the fact that we've developed and fostered strong, loyal business relationships with videographers, editors, producers and clients across North America.