• Report: #19490

• Submitted: Wed, April 24, 2002
  • Updated: Thu, December 15, 2011

• Reported By:SAN ANTONIO TX
SOUTH TEXAS APPLIANCE REPAIR
10329 Perrin Beitel, San Antonio, Texas U.S.A.

SOUTH TEXAS APPLIANCE REPAIR, Ripoff. San Antonio, Texas

*General Comment: Free market

*Consumer Comment: Dawg ears huh?

*Consumer Suggestion: Not the end of the world.

They charged me $8.25 for a packet of 4 dog ears that another appliance store had for $3.85 and would not refund my money altho the packet had not been o

I needed new dog ears for my washer agitator. I stopped in at South Texas Appliance Repair to see if they had them. They did and charged me $8.25 for a packet of four.

Meanwhile, my wife had called another appliance store in our area and asked them if they had the parts I need and they did and quoted a price of $3.85.

I then called South Texas and asked if I could return the item. The owner/manager told me "once out the door, they are yours." THAT IS A BIG RIP-OFF

ROY
SaAN ANTONIO, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/24/2002 02:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SOUTH-TEXAS-APPLIANCE-REPAIR/San-Antonio-Texas-78214/SOUTH-TEXAS-APPLIANCE-REPAIR-Ripoff-San-Antonio-Texas-19490. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SOUTH TEXAS APPLIANCE REPAIR

#1 General Comment

Free market

AUTHOR: labradoodle - (United States of America)

There is this thing called a free market. You may not like their prices but this is NOT a ripoff.  Every business can and does charge different prices.  For instance, Sears charges more for most parts and service than others (sometimes exorbitantly- esp. for service) but not always. Shop around, man. Their stance or policy is valid, though I personally would most likely have given you the money back.  Would it really be worth driving back and forth and maybe saving 2 bucks after gas expense?

Dawg ears huh?

AUTHOR: Randy - (U.S.A.)

So your mad about a mark up of prices?
Would you go and get parts for your car without price hunting first then later find a better deal and then go around knocking a company that works it's tail off just to stay above water all the time?!? I own an Appliance Co. and have so for over 20 years in San Antonio. We have to absorb "Stop Checks", the worst of manners or non at all. Whinning, bad moods and compare shopping. You call us over the phone and waste our time asking which part fits how and usually without a thank you. If we are 15 minutes late to a house call we hear it. But if we are 15 minutes early do we get thanked? Nope. Day in and day out it's people like this who whin over a part that is a few bucks. This trade is very hard and is a profession that you constantly have to keep up with not to mention new tools, EPA rules that charge us tens of thousands in new equipment and advertising you could not understand. Thanks

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Not the end of the world.

AUTHOR: robert - ()

First question I have is are both dawg ears made by Whirlpool, packaged in "FSP" labeled packages or is one a "GEMLINE" substitute? If you purchased the dawg ears from an independent dealer he marked it up in price as any local convenience store would charge more for candy bars and soda than you would pay for at a Mega Store.

If you bought the second ones at an "Appliance Parts Store" it is likely you bought them from the same store that the independent dealer did. He received wholesale price and you recieve the MSRP.

Once in his store he marked these parts up because he has rent and overhead to cover. Most independents don't sell parts to consumers.

When this part wears it is indiciative of either a neutral drain transmission starting to fail or the consumer overloading the washer. Please refer to the manufacturers instructions on loading the machine.

If you are in compliance, then you may want to peek under the unit with a flashlight and look for signs of a leaking transmission.