Complaint Review: SOUTHWEST AIRLINES

• Submitted: Wed, May 12, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, November 29, 2010

• Reported By: Dave — COMMACK New York U.S.A.
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
2702 LOVE FIELD DR. DALLAS, Texas United States of America
  • Phone: 214-792-4223
  • Web:
  • Category: Airlines

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES BAIT AND SWITCH, FRAUD AND DECEPTIVE AND UNFAIR TRADE PRACTICES, DO NOT FLY SOUTHWEST AIRLINES, THEY ARE A FRAUD!!!!!!!! DALLAS, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Holy Christ!

*Consumer Suggestion: Southwest is Best

*General Comment: Standard procedure

May 11, 2010

Gary Kelly CEO
Southwest Airlines
2702 Love Field Dr.
Dallas, TX 75235

Dear Mr. Kelly:

I am writing to complain about the way I have been treated as a customer.
I have several thousand rapid rewards points that were transfprred to your airline over the last 2 years from my American Express Gold Card.

That at the time of transferring in Nov 2009 I was told I had enough points for 2 round trip tickets.

In the last 2 weeks May 2010 I am now told after the fact that you are all sold out even though seats were available for (Sunday) May 9, 2010 and May 23, 2010 from Islip to LAX and or Islip to Burbank. However as per customer service reps that I spoke with that they would be glad to sell me a ticket and/or that I had to use the entire amount of points that I have for 2 round trip tickets to buy only I round trip ticket.

I HAD ORINGINALLY PLANNED TO FLY OUT ON SUN MAY 9 SO I COULD
ATTEND THE PRICE IS RIGHT IN CALIFORNIA ON MAY 10 WHICH HAPPENS
TO BE MY BIRTHDAY BECAUSE I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD HAVE BETTER
CHANCE OF BEING PICKED AS CONTESTANT ON THAT DAY!!!!!! ! !!!
THAT IS FRAUD AND BAIT AND SWITCH AND IS AGAINST FEDERAL AND STATE LAW!!!!!!!

EXPECIALLY EVIDENT WHEN SEATS ARE AVAILABLE.

THAT IS APPALLING CONSIDERING THE FACT THAT AMERICAN EXPRESS
AND YOUR AIRLINE TOLD ME I HAD 2 ROUND TRIPS!!!!!

IT IS ALSO APPALLING THAT IN EXCHANGE YOUR AIRLINE GOT FREE
ADVERTISING AND/OR REFERRALS FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS!U!!!!!
NO WONDER AMERICAN EXPRESS NO LONGER HAS A CONTRACT WITH
YOU ARE A FRAUD!!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR NOTHING SOUTHWEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF I DO NOT HEAR FROM YOUR AIRLINE IMMEDIATELY THAT YOU WILL
HONOR MY POINTS AND COMPENSATE ME FOR WASTING MY TIME AND
CAUSING MASSIVE AGGRAVATION I WILL MAKE SURE A COMPLAINT IS
FILED WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL, CONSUMER AFFAIRS AND THE
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION AND WITH WWW.RIPOFFREPORT.COM AND (((link redacted)))

SINCERELY,

DAVE

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/12/2010 12:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SOUTHWEST-AIRLINES/DALLAS-Texas-75235/SOUTHWEST-AIRLINES-BAIT-AND-SWITCH-FRAUD-AND-DECEPTIVE-AND-UNFAIR-TRADE-PRACTICES-DO-NO-602611. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SOUTHWEST AIRLINES

Holy Christ!

AUTHOR: WissNX01 - (United States of America)

I started to read your letter to Gary Kelly.  I must first comment on the fact that your letter is full of grammar errors and at best is difficult to read.  But I laughed to myself when the letter changed to all CAPS.  Oh, and all the exclamation points were an added bonus.  I have no doubt that you sent this to Southwest.  I have no doubt that this is exactly how it appeared to them.

The thing I have to take a big exception to is the fact that somehow you hold them responsible for, and I hope I get this right, For ruining your birthday chances of getting to be a contestant on Price is Right.  For real?  I dont think Southwest owes it to anyone to be able to stand next to fat Drew Carrey.

I think you should seriously learn how to construct an appropriate professional letter.  I am willing to bet that Southwest got your letter and threw it away.  You basically give them no out or choice to work with you.  By instantly becoming demanding, they do not see any reason to deal with you.  I also think that the FTC and your states Attorney General would not take seriously any prose you send them that looks like this.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Southwest is Best

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

A recent article in either USA TODAY or WSJ said that on SWA you had a 99% chance of getting a seat with points. On some large airlines this percentage was less than 17%. The best way to ensure a free seat is to book way in advance. All airlines allocate only a few seats per flight for FF points and some flights on certain days have no seats. Times have changed. This is not 1980. Airlines are in trouble and the last thing they want to do is give away anything - seats, free checked luggage, meals, etc. Southwest may not always have the chealest fares but it has real customer service, free checked bags, no $100 change fees, and telephone operators who are not in India. It is the best airline to fly bar none.

#3 General Comment

Standard procedure

AUTHOR: la gente es est - (United States of America)

While I agress this is frustrating it is not illegal.

All airlines set aside a limited number of seats on each flight for promotions, and reward points. If a aircraft seats 200 chances are less than 10% of the seats are for any other use besides selling them.

Good luck and Happy Birthday.