rank

• Updated: Sun, June 22, 2008

• Reported By:Palm beach Gardens Florida
SPIRIT AIRLINES SPIRIT AIR EXPERIENCE
, Florida U.S.A.

SPIRIT AIRLINES SPIRIT AIR EXPERIENCE FROM HELL PALM BEACH, FLORIDA ATLANTA Georgia

*Consumer Suggestion: You Changed a Leg

We wanted to visit our kids and grandchildren for my birthday on May 17th. I surfed the net and found what was, I thought a super deal with Spirit Airlines. I booked the trip 3/19/08 on the web. Flight NK180 Ft. Lauderdale to Laguardia to depart 12PM on the 15th of May. We also booked a return flight NK779 Laguardia back to Ft. Lauderdale on the 20th of May. The total purchase price was an amazing $306.00 for the both of us transaction ID B6J433. What a great deal!

I reviewed my credit charges and found that I had purchased flight insurance and some other unwanted product increasing the charge to $330.00. It seems that you are required to check the item if you dont want it. It seems unusual to be required to an affirmative act not to have the other unwanted products added onto your charge. I called the product companies and told them I did not want these add-ons and they were removed.

We had to go to Boston from New York on business and that's when the frustration and potential heart attack came into play. OK, I called the airline and requested that they cancel the return flight from Laguardia and book the return from Logan Airport in Boston. After quite some time and after an additional charge of $233.00 on tk1401779601 to apparently accomplish the change of flight. Now my $306.00 round trip was costing us $536.00. That was OK as we needed to get to Boston.

The day before the outbound flight to Laguardia I went on line to print my boarding pass and could not. I called Spirit and asked why not? I was told 'That my Ft. Lauderdale flight was cancelled by me" I explained to the clerk and a supervisor that this was not the case and told them to put me on the Ft. Lauderdale to Laguardia plane as we were planning to leave the following day. They told me that to do so would cost me an additional $330.00. I explained that they had made the mistake and should not charge another dime. They were unsympathetic and insisted I pay the additional fare.

I booked our Ft. Lauderdale to Laguardia with another airline. Happily, I did return on Spirit from Boston thought apprehensive that I was to get on that flight.

Stanley
Palm beach Gardens, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/26/2008 10:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SPIRIT-AIRLINES-SPIRIT-AIR-EXPERIENCE/Florida/SPIRIT-AIRLINES-SPIRIT-AIR-EXPERIENCE-FROM-HELL-PALM-BEACH-FLORIDA-ATLANTA-Georgia-334882. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SPIRIT AIRLINES SPIRIT AIR EXPERIENCE

#1 Consumer Suggestion

You Changed a Leg

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

Since you changed the return leg from Laguardia to Boston they most likely cancelled your northbound flight and figured that you were not going to New York. They could have also made a mistake. This is 2008, not 1978. You cannot without an excessive penalty cancel or change any part of your trip. You should have taken Amtrak to and from Boston and kept your original itinerary. It would have been a lot cheaper.