Complaint Review: SPRINT PCS - CALVARY PORTFOLIO

• Submitted: Tue, May 24, 2005
  • Updated: Tue, May 24, 2005

• Reported By:Virginia Beach Virginia
SPRINT PCS - CALVARY PORTFOLIO
7 SKYLINE DR HAWTHORNE, New York U.S.A.

SPRINT PCS, CALVARY PORTFOLIO DECEPTIVE BILLING, WON'T SHOW PROOF ripoff HAWTHORNE New York

*Consumer Suggestion: WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T PAY THESE LEECHES A DIME!!!!

I just received a collection letter within the last month from these people regarding my sprint acct from 2002. I told them that to my knowledge the acct was paid in full and closed because I was deployed in the military. The amt is for $184 and since it was so long ago I figured that I could be mistaken so I asked them to foward my last invoice. They said that they had no access to it and advised me to contact sprint which I did. I explained the situation to them and they pulled up my acct and told me that I owed the money.

I told them that I deployed from 02/2002 - 08/2002 and when I left I was under the impression that the acct was closed so I wanted my last two invoice to see when the charges incurred. Of course they are not able to do so, so I went to my bank and got a cancelled check from 02/2002 to sprint. I called them back and then I was told that my acct had'nt closed until 06/2002 (4 months after I left the country). He also told me that that could have been an early termination fee.

Since I am aware of this I thought "hmmm could be". He said that the termination fee would have been $150 plus any late fees or whathaveyou. So, back to the bank I go only to find another cancelled check to sprint for $230. Now I am back on the phone b/c it looks as if they owe me :). Still no one can help me but I was directed to a "full service" sprint store where they would be able to pull it up.

The customer service guy was only able to pull up the amt I owed but not when the charges came about. The numbers didnt add up to him either so he called the collections dept. The guy there told him the I HAD to pay the bill b/c it was on my credit report. He explained that I was willing to pay but, I wasnt going to do so arbitrarily and that I just wanted an invoice. They went back and forth for about a minute or two and the customer service rep asked the collections rep if he would like to speak to me so that he didnt have to be a middle man.

THE COLLECTIONS REP HUNG UP ON HIM! If they treat each other that way how can I expect anything different. The bottom line is that they are still saying I owe the money but cannot provide me with any paperwork. So right now I am disputing it with the credit bureaus. The worst part of it is that I close on my house in a couple of days and they required it being resolved before then and since I have gotten nowhere in the last month, I will probably be forced to pay.

David
Virginia Beach, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/24/2005 11:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SPRINT-PCS-CALVARY-PORTFOLIO/HAWTHORNE-New-York/SPRINT-PCS-CALVARY-PORTFOLIO-DECEPTIVE-BILLING-WONT-SHOW-PROOF-ripoff-HAWTHORNE-New-Yor-143830. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SPRINT PCS - CALVARY PORTFOLIO

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

It is their job to validate the debt and prove that you owe it..it is NOT your job to prove that you don't. If they cannot validate it, they must remove it from your credit. If you pay these leeches a dime, you risk "reaffirming" the debt and getting the statute of limitations started again.

Calvary Portfolio (via facsimile and USPS)

In accordance with Section 809-Validating Debts of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I respectfully request that you provide to me, in writing, the following:

1. Explain and show me how you calculate what you say I owe.

2. Provide me with copies of any papers that show that I agreed to pay what you say I owe.

I have disputed this debt, therefore, until validated, you know your information concerning this debt is inaccurate. Thus, if you have already reported this debt to any credit reporting agency, then you must immediately inform them that this debt is in dispute. Reporting information that you know is inaccurate of failing to report as disputed violates the FCRA e1681s-2. If you do not own the rights to this debt, please send a copy of this dispute letter to the original creditor, so that they will have documentation that they will be aware that this remains in dispute. If there is an issue, I will resolve it with the original creditor, as I do not deal with collection agencies or junk debt buyers.

Finally, in accordance with section 805 (c )-Ceasing Collections, of the FDCA, please do not contact me regarding this, except by official mail and then only to inform me that your collection efforts are being terminated or that you are taking specific actions allowed by law.

#2 Consumer Suggestion