Complaint Review: SPV Realty - Design Place

• Updated: Thu, October 29, 2009

• Reported By: Isadora — Miami Florida USA
SPV Realty - Design Place
5175 NE 2nd Ct Miami, Florida United States of America

SPV Realty - Design Place SPV Realty Unlawful Collection of Alleged Rent Due Despite Desperate Need to Vacate Property and Proper Notification of the Same Miami, Florida

*General Comment: I am a previous tenant too

My husband and I have faced serious problems with our previous landlord and their collection practice. Back in June 1 2009, my husband and I were forced to abandon our apartment at the Design Place in Miami, Florida based on a severe rodent and cockroach infestation. The company was warned of the infestations and of our need to vacate the premises on previous occasions, including detailed letters and email both mailed and hand develiered to the adminsitration advising them of the situation. Said warnings were given a substantial time in advance, prior to vacating the premises since, although we had a year lease, said lease could be terminated after six months based on our prior agreements with the landlord. In fact, we went personally to the management office and explained to Mr. Frank Leonor our situation and our urgent need to vacate the property as we could no longer continue living in such substandard conditions. We were told that we would be allowed to vacate the property but my security deposit would be forfeited. In return, we would nto be charged for the additional two months allegedly remaining on my lease. Hesistantly, we agreed to the same and subsequently confirmed our agreement in writing via a letter which was also mailed and hand delivered. Now, some time after we left the premises, we are being contacted by collection agencies retained by the subject property regarding money allegedly owed to said company.

Not only did we have to live in substandard conditions, but now we are actually being charged extra for finally abandoning them and taking all the proper steps in doing so. No money is owed to the company. The collection agency has forwarded us the documentation used to allegedly substantiate the collection process. Said documentation includes our leasing contract and letters mailed to our old apartment address at the Design Place even after we had given notice that we had vacated the property and conducted the inspection. Needless to say, the documentation is not sufficient to hold their claim for collection purposes. Nevertheless, the company has made our living sitution extremely stressful by placing an additional hardship on us and destroying our credit.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/29/2009 12:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/SPV-Realty-Design-Place/Miami-Florida-33137/SPV-Realty-Design-Place-SPV-Realty-Unlawful-Collection-of-Alleged-Rent-Due-Despite-Despe-516838. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on SPV Realty - Design Place

#1 General Comment

I am a previous tenant too

AUTHOR: Heather - ()

They tried to use scare tactics to bully me out of their complex when I went off on a security guard 'supervisor' for his staff not doing what they were supposed to.

However, the situation now is that they have not returned my security deposit and are in violation of s. 83.49(3)(b).  They placed a $25 claim on my account and had 30 days from the date of the intent to claim to return my deposit.  It is August 6 and nothing has been received.  I reported them to the Department of Business and Professional  Regulations in Florida.

They are currently investigating my complaint about their claim notice being sent on the 30th day but I can now add their failure to return the deposit in accordance with the LAW.  If enough people file a complaint then maybe they can have their license revoked until they correct their issues.  To file your own complaint, visit :

Click on File a Complaint.  You must mail in your complaint.  SPV Realty's license numbers are: NAP2310222; NAP2310225; NAP2310224.