Complaint Review: STAMPS.COM

• Reported By: Bman — Philadelphia Pennsylvania United States of America
STAMPS.COM
12959 Coral Tree Place Los Angeles, California United States of America

STAMPS.COM How Did This Happen? Los Angeles, California

*Author of original report: WOW!!!!

*Author of original report: Alas...

*Consumer Comment: Contacted the company?

Well this is a new one on me. I have just checked this business online and found out that the company is a FRAUD. If you asked me how I got into this one I haven't a clue. I vaguely remember checking out about the convenience of ordering stamps at home online and could not find the USPS site, and found Stamps.com. It is advertised on the site as "An approved licensed vendor of the United States Postal Service" and a "PC Postage" site. I contacted them online and they wanted personal credit card information, this is my mistake, which I must remedy in the future since almost every big business I have encountered recently has no idea of customer relations and usually make money on small business scams like in this case where they bleed the public of their hard earned money. My finances have been problematic since 2009, so the credit cards I have acquired are closing down the accounts, which in this case helped me. It turns out that though I never agreed to any plan they have automatically placed me onto their "Stamps.com Pro Plan" and issue a "Monthly Service Charge" and the bill now totals a shocking "$47.97"! So at this point I have no idea how this happened and why though they can monitor what is and is not used from their site, and I have never used anything, they have voluntarily (acting as my agent) put me into their Pro Account? It defies reason. BEWARE!

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/04/2010 07:04 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/STAMPSCOM/Los-Angeles-California-90066-7020/STAMPSCOM-How-Did-This-Happen-Los-Angeles-California-628885. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on STAMPS.COM

WOW!!!!

AUTHOR: Bman - (United States of America)

After posting this complaint and contacting the company they took away the amount just like that! Here is the message:

"Thank you for contacting Stamps.com Customer Care.
The purpose of this e-mail is to inform you that we have
reduced your bill by the amount of $47.97.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact
us at 1-888-434-0055 Monday through Friday 6 AM till 6 PM
Pacific Time, or send us an email by going to
www.stamps.com/support."

I am floored!

Alas...

AUTHOR: Bman - (United States of America)

Thank you for the advice but I never signed up for anything. They have attached themselves to my credit card as of July this year and there is nothing I ordered. I did foolishly give them my card number which I will never do again. Luckily they cannot attach themselves to me since the credit card company shut themselves down before this insidious company could attach themselves to me. I have read some of the commentary where a person that ordered a 44 cent stamp was charged more than $15. If this is not fraud I do not know what is!

Contacted the company?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

- Here is something to think about that may help you(and any others) avoid this "mistake" in the future.

Is it a wise idea to just hand over your credit card without knowing the site you are dealing with or what they are going to do with that?  Would you give your credit card number to someone anynomomous person on the street?  So why would you do it on the Internet.

Stamps.com is a legitimate company and not a fraud.  In that they do provide the service that you sign up for.  Granted the service you are signing up for is the convinenence of not having to go to the Post Office, but unless you are doing a lot of mailing it is a service that most people can do without(IMO).

But like many other membership sites, people seem to just be so willing to hand over all of their CC information without reading what they are actually signing up for.  Then when they get charged "don't have a clue" about why they are being charged.  Without knowing how you "contacted them", it is hard to say what the form said.  But I would bet that there was something about signing up for a montly service charge.

And for future reference the USPS site is usps.gov.  But if you have trouble you can always just type in USPS into your favorite search engine and it should be the first one that comes up.