Complaint Review: STS Tire and Auto Centers

• Submitted: Sat, December 22, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, December 22, 2012

• Reported By: beenrippedoff — Selden New York United States of America
STS Tire and Auto Centers
525 Middle Country Road, Selden, NY 11784 Selden, New York United States of America

STS Tire and Auto Centers Falsified repair work needed, completely dishonest, false quotes Selden, New York

Unbelievably bad and dishonest service.  I went here because my car had abruptly developed a low brake pedal, meaning (and even I who has little car experience knows this) that my brakes were losing pressure from a leak in the brake lines.  I had explained this to them, and they said they would take a look, which, to be fair to them, they did promptly.  I received a call later that day stating that I needed both of my brake lines replaced, as well as new brake pads and rotors for every wheel, and a new drum and spring for my back left wheel.  I told them that my brakes had just been redone 2 weeks prior and that they were not even making noise, and that the only issue that I had at that moment was the very abrupt low pedal, which seemed to mean I had a brake line leak.  They persisted in telling me that all of these things were issues that emergently needed fixing, so I stated that I would agree to fixing the brake lines as they had suggested, but that the brakes and rotors would have to wait because I didn't have the money.  The girl up front who was abhorrently bad mannered, clearly didn't know what she was talking about, and unimaginably uncouth stated that they "don't do half a*s work" and that what I was doing was like putting a band aid over a bullet wound.

I asked to talk to a technician who checked out my car and she stated "we don't do that here".  Then when I asked for a quote on fixing my brake lines she stated that I also needed 2 connectors which she didn't know the price on.  I asked for an approximate (my words were "are we talking about 12 dollars each or 120 dollars each") to which she replied "I have no idea and have no way of telling you until we order them, and we can't order them unless you want to do the work.  I asked if she could call her parts dealer and she stated it was too late.  I then asked to pick up my car, to which she stated "I don't know if it's safe to release this car to you right now", at this point i was pretty upset and stated that they had no legal right to keep my car and I would call the police if they tried, so she released it.

I then had my brother in law look at my car, who worked as a mechanic for some time when he was younger, just to have him check out these claims, not only did he say that the brakes and pads were fine, but he looked under the car and (i swear to god this is true) fixed the problem, which was a loose nut where the brake line began, he fixed it in about a minute and a half!  This is no joke!  I then took it to another mechanic to check out the brakes and rotors because I am a father and was worried that I was driving in an unsafe car with brake and rotor problems, that that I wanted this checked by a professional, he not only passed it for inspection, but stated that the brakes and rotors were in great working condition, it costed me a total of $45 for the inspection and 1 minute and 30 seconds of my brother in law's time to have this fixed correctly.  If I would have gone with this place it would have been WELL over $1,000 and probably over $1,500.  STAY AWAY!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/22/2012 05:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/STS-Tire-and-Auto-Centers/Selden-New-York-11784/STS-Tire-and-Auto-Centers-Falsified-repair-work-needed-completely-dishonest-false-quote-986025. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on STS Tire and Auto Centers