Complaint Review: Safe Harbor

• Reported By: Chuck — Phoenix Arizona United States of America
Safe Harbor
6900 E Camelback Rd. #810 Scottsdale, Arizona United States of America

Safe Harbor This company is a ripoff. Beware Scottsdale, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: RE...Fine Print!

*Consumer Comment: Ignition interlock

Safe Harbor is a company that installs and monitors ignition interlock devices on vehicles. If you get a DUI in Arizona you are required by state law to have a interlock device. Safe Harbor charges 90.00 per month for the device and monitoring. The ripoff is the company's collection of all sorts of bogus fee's. The company makes it as hard as possible to make your payment on time. When you call you cant get through. After numerous calls they put you on permanent hold. When you do finally get ahold of them there representatives are rude. If you are late they charge an immediate fee of 25.00 and 5.00 per day. They also charge for same day appointment and next day appointment. They charge if you miss a appointment. In short they charge you for everything they can. It is clear that Safe Harbor makes alot of money in extra fee's. In December I lost my job and was late on my fee due to my job loss. When I called in my original fee of 90.00 had ballooned to 270.00 when I explained my situation and asked for help the representative was rude did not offer any assistance and when I said I did not have the money she said well I guess you wont be driving then will you. Safe Harbor then told me that I should make my payments on there website so I would always be on time. So this month my payment was due on Saturday. It was 25.00 for a same day appointment fee. I went online tried to make the payment but the website said I had to be registered and since I was not I could not pay. I called in immediately on Monday 2 day's later and was charged 30.00 in late fee's on a balance of 25.00. When I told them that I tried to make the payment but could not due to there website rules and asked to have it waived due to that fact they not only would not waive it they were rude and still did not offer to register me on the website. It is clear that this company has a culture of ripping you off at every turn. If you got a DUI in Arizona you know that it is a humiliating experience in and of itself. It is only compounded by the poor treatment and gouging that Safe Harbor practices. If you have to get an interlock DO NOT GET IT FROM SAFE HARBOR!!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/26/2011 12:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Safe-Harbor/Scottsdale-Arizona-85251/Safe-Harbor-This-company-is-a-ripoff-Beware-Scottsdale-Arizona-710402. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Safe Harbor

RE...Fine Print!

AUTHOR: AZClintS - (United States of America)

Whenever a business tells you its your own fault for not reading the fine print they are ripping you off. Thats why they make sure its fine print hidden in legal garble!

For my case I did read the fine print but I'll give some examples of extortion from Safe Harbor I was charged $85 dollars for a violation(excessive) and my device told me on behalf of Safe Harbor I needed to do a unscheduled visit. Once I did that they charged me $25 for the visit saying I had no appointment! WTF! I prepayed my full amout of $900 and they still send me bills every month trying to trick me to pay extra and every month I spend 30 minutes explaining to them they are wrong. But more than the money that bothers me is how they treat me like garbage. They are the rudest people in the world and there is no reason for that....its simply bad business! THE WORST!!!

Ignition interlock

AUTHOR: Lisa - (United States of America)

I actually manage an ignition interlock company in the state of California, and Ill set the record straight on some of these companies, whether it may be mine or other providers in other states.
The interlock is a RENTAL/LEASE, not something your purchased or are borrowing. People go off signing contracts without reading the full thing. Just as if you were signing a lease to a house or apartment there are late fees involved. Most companies will have a 5 day grace period, now after contacting Safe Harbor in Arizona, I asked them what thier late fees were to compare them to the shop that I run. The technician who answered told me without a hesitation that there is a 5 day grace period, montly due date is the date you got the device installed, so for example, if you got the device installed on the 5th of May, the monthly fees on it would be due on the 5th of each month for however long you need it. Now on the 6th day its a $25 late fee and $5 per day until the balance is paid in full. Just like a lease for a house or apartment right? If you know the due date is the 5th of each month, pay your monthly fee ON TIME or within the grace period to avoid late fees. Now most of the interlocks are rented by providers from the manufacturing company, so if the company who rents the interlock pays late, because the customer paid late, BELIEVE the manufacturer will charge the provider like Safe Harbor late fees as well, which in return charges the customer late fees, makes sense to me!
As far as the appointments, just like a doctors office, you must make an appointment. You cant expect to just walk in and helped immediately, that would be chaotic. Plus if the company requires appointments than you must make an appointment. In CA we require a 3 day notice for ALL appointments. If you wait after 3 days theres no fees, but if a customer needs to come in right away because something came up in theie schedule, leaving out of town or for whatever reason, EXPECT to pay a scheduling fee because now I would have to try to "fit you in" because YOU NEED to get serviced, not trying to be rude, its not my problem that you CAN NOT wait a couple days. TO ALL THE PEOPLE that need interlocks MAKE SURE YOU READ YOUR CONTRACTS!
IF you can pay your bill on time, or at least within the timeframe you WILL BE FINE.
IF you can schedule your appointments within the notice this company requires you WILL BE FINE.
IF you can  KEEP your scheduled appointment you WILL BE FINE.
IF you can stay away from drinking and attempting to drive you WILL BE FINE