Complaint Review: Safeco Insurance Company

• Updated: Mon, September 05, 2011

• Reported By: david coxe — Bay St Louis Mississippi United States of America
Safeco Insurance Company
414 St John St bay st louis, Mississippi United States of America

Safeco Insurance Company Mississippi Insurance Commission Safeo is a Fraud and Does Not Honor their Policies bay st louis, Mississippi

After the 2005 Storm in both Louisiana and in Mississippi, everyone was pretty much pushed into purchasing homeowners insurance from Citizens Insurance from the States of either Louisiana and Mississippi.  In my case Mississippi.  The only company that is allowed to write in Mississippi is Safeco Insurance company.  From the very start Safeco tripled the preminums from$900 per year to almost $3600.  This has caused a great deal of damage to not only to the homeowners of these areas but also to those who wish to purchase a home.

Safeo Will not Honor their policies when you have an incident or a claim.

July 30,2010, I came home to my house and discovered that a pipe to my toilet had burst forcing 7,500 gallons of water throughout my house.  This ruined all of my hardwood floors but it also had damaged a structural beam under the house.  When a beam under stress reaches a moisture content of 40% is will deflect.  Engineering 101  How to bend wood.

From the very beginning, Safeco's adjuster had no intention of being fair about the situation.  Their first intention was to make me believe that the damage was only just the interior and wrote me a check for $17,248.  This denied me the bathroom and the kitchen replacement.  Please note that all of the woods under the tile and hardwoods were soaked and had to be removed.  $17,248 just happened to equal the amount of monies I had paid in the Policy.

Then when I insisted, safeco sent an Engineer from Rimkus Engineering which they use to try to deny coverage anytime they need a bogus report.  Their Engineer did not even look at the beam which had been soaked but notice water coming from the rear of the building and stated this was the cause of the Structural Failure.  The real reason was water had soaked the beam from above and I had hired an Engineer to pointed this out using data from the Water billing and a computer model that showed how the water covered the entire house and how the water did in fact soak that one Structural beam.  Using Engineering data, I was able to prove my point.  Safeco denied it just the same and denied me the damages to my kitchen.  Here is their logic:

The kitchen floor was damaged from the water but the kitchen cabinets could have been saved and the bottom cabinets could have been refinished.  Does the term replacement value mean anything to Safeco?    Answer  is no.  The cabinets had been stapled and screwed together when they were installed.  They were not coming out in one piece.  Not after 10 years.

The Bathroom floor was completely soaked and was the center of the Structural Damage and had to be removed.  The denied me a bathroom.  And now after I have been out of the house 1 year, are denying me Loss of Use.  ( part of my policy)

Late July of 2011 Safeco wrote me a check for $$19,000.    After I paid my Adjuster and Engineer I had less that $14,000 and no loss of use claiming that I was not entitled to it.  They denied the structural and the kitchen.  Total award was less than $40,000.  When renovation costs are at $100 per sqft that is impossible.   The Structural work was completed back in December of 2010 at a cost of $26,500.  With the work I have managed to accomplish I still need another $25,000 to $30,000 to finish up.

From the very beginning, Safeco had no desire to honor their policy and the Mississippi Insurance Commission will not do anything citing that the Insurance companies had lost so much money after the 2005 storm.

Safeco is a fraud and I will never own another Insurance policy ever again.  I will take my risk with mother nature than  give money to the Mafia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/05/2011 06:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Safeco-Insurance-Company/bay-st-louis-Mississippi-39520/Safeco-Insurance-Company-Mississippi-Insurance-Commission-Safeo-is-a-Fraud-and-Does-Not-773193. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Safeco Insurance Company