Complaint Review: Safeco - Safelite Glass

• Updated: Sat, November 27, 2010

• Reported By: daisymay — Yuma Arizona USA
Safeco - Safelite Glass
260 W. 23rd Street Yuma, Arizona United States of America

Safeco - Safelite Glass Safelite replaced windshield with XYG glass made in China that is distorted Yuma, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Don't be misled

*Consumer Suggestion: Check your DOT code on the windshield

*UPDATE Employee: Glass Quality

*Consumer Comment: Is it really PGW glass?

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Made in the USA quote

*Consumer Comment: Glassman.

*UPDATE Employee: The facts are distorted

*Author of original report: Update about the XYG windshield

After calling Safeco to report a cracked windshield two weeks ago, they recommended Safelite Glass in Yuma, AZ.  We have used them before to replace our windshield on our 1979 Ford F-350 pickup truck and felt confident to go back to their shop for a replacement.

In 2003 they replaced our windshield, but when they installed the windshield in the frame it exploded, and we had glass chips inside the cab area.  We had to wait for several hours until they found another windshield to fit, and then they installed it.

When I called them last week to set up an appointment to drive our truck/camper to their shop for our new windshield I mentioned the previous problems and asked it they had a tarp to cover the dash area in case of breakage again, and they said "yes."

We drove into their shop and when the technician removed the rubber gasket he was surprised to see that it was never glue into place!  He said that it was not done the right way.

In less, than two hours we had our new XYG laminated DOT 563 windshield installed and drove home.  At the time, we did not know that this was a cheap windshield made in China, and about the problems that other people are having.

I read the reports on "Rip Off" by others and felt that we had to respond to alert others of the poor quality of the XYG windshield.

We drove our truck/camper with our boat in tow to fish for the day and on our return trip back home at night we could not believe the major "Distortion" of this windshield.
Every time a car was coming towards us the glare, and the streaks of their headlights hit the windshield to cause a "star burst effect" that we were all most blinded with the glare.

The following day we tested the windshield in our garage with a spotlight and we could see the major "Distortion," and when we parked our truck outside to look through the windshield we could see the ripple effect of this poor quality windshield.

On Monday, I am going to call Safeco to report this and demand that they replace it with a quality OEM product for our Ford truck.  If we had had an accident as we were driving back at night, Safeco and Safelite would be blamed for allowing such a poor quality product to be installed in any ones vehicle.

In a previous post, it was recommended to use a Carlite windshield or a windshield by Pilkington and that is what we will request for our replacement.

I will follow-up later to let others know how we resolved this problem.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/11/2009 02:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Safeco-Safelite-Glass/Yuma-Arizona-85364/Safeco-Safelite-Glass-Safelite-replaced-windshield-with-XYG-glass-made-in-China-that-is-507722. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Safeco - Safelite Glass

Don't be misled

AUTHOR: Kenpotom - ()

The comment that windshields meet all federal standards has little, if anything, to do with this issue. The only aspect that the Department of Transportation is concerned with is - safety. No windshield - regardless of whether it's cheap aftermarket glass or OEM glass would be cleared for installation in any car driven in the US unless it met SAFETY standards. But let's be clear. Safety standards have nothing to do with the quality of glass. I recently battled my insurance company to replace my Lexus windshield with OE glass. While the aftermarket glass that Safelite initially installed in my car met federal safety standards, the glass was junk. When I realized that the FY glass did not meet the standards of Lexus, I insisted the windshield be replaced and ended up prevailing. Anyway, don't be misled by this comment about federal standards, which is nothing more than a meaningless blanket statement.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Check your DOT code on the windshield

AUTHOR: Richard - (United States of America)

I know this post is a little old, but the info could help others.  I found it while searching for info on PGW, and I'm kind of sorry I did.  Ignorance is bliss.

Daisymay - "The installation went well, and driving back in the dark with the PGW windshield it was much better than the XYG glass from China."

Like Brock suggested - "Double check the DOT number on your PGW windshield. Not trying to stir the pot but I work for a glass company and several of our PGW windshields carry the same DOT number as XYG. PGW buys privated branded glass from XYG in China. The DOT number indicates the factory that made your glass."

A glass shop here in Florida replaced the windshield in my '94 Chevy pickup with PGW glass.  After searching on PGW, you would be led to believe the glass was made in USA, possibly in their Pittsburgh locations, as you wouldn't imagine they would ship the glass from Poland.  (PGW is based out of Poland but has locations here, too.)

However, after looking up the DOT code on it, I see that it was made in China.  Really not pleased with this but I'm stuck with it for now.  Once it starts to crap out, I will pay much more attention to what kind of glass replaces it.

Please, check your DOT code; it's very easy to just put it into a web search page and you will see where it was made.  You can also do this (if you have access to the internet at the time) before a particular glass is put into your vehicle, though I suggest you do this before they begin any work.  Once your glass is out, your options are limited.

Glass Quality

AUTHOR: safelite - (United States of America)

I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. Our glass quality meets or exceeds all federal standards, and our technicians are trained to inspect each piece of glass prior to each installation.

I'm impressed that you have taken the time to become so informed regarding the specific glass terms; Most of the terminology used in your post is industry-specific and I hope that did not lead to any unecessary confusion. I hope that you'll take a fraction of that time to speak with us directly regarding your claim. Please call our customer advocates at 800-835-2257 at your earliest convenience. We strive to delight our customers,  not just satisfy them. I hope that you'll allow us to do the same for you.

Is it really PGW glass?

AUTHOR: Brock - (United States of America)

Oh, and when you called Safeco's phone number to report your claim it was most likely a Safelite representative that answered your call. Safelite processes glass claims for several insurance companies and therefor almost always you will be directed to a Safelite shop by your "insurance company" Either way, hopefully your new windshield meets your approval now and you can have many miles of clear driving!

#5 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Made in the USA quote

AUTHOR: Glassman - (USA)

"Safelite Glass Corp.
As the nation's largest exclusively domestic producer of original equipment equivalent windshields for aftermarket, Safelite Glass Corp. has a manufacturing and distribution facility in Enfield, NC. "

The XYG glass you are talking about is made by the Chinese Equipment Manufacturer who makes the glass for the car manufacturers, and it's actually more expensive.  We only use glass approved by strict regulations - Foggy glass does make an interesting story though. The use of imported glass would be based on availability.  But the VAST majority rolls right out of our plant.  It's nearly all the windshiels we sell - and we install it on millions of cars each year. Something the other installers don't want you to know is we sell them our USA manufactured glass, and in fact they use it more than any other.

Glassman.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

I think you have YOUR facts distorted.

XYG glass is a Canadian sales division of Xinyi Glass Holdings, LTD., a chinese glass manufacturer. Xinyi glass is manufactured in 5 plants, all of which are located in China.

I don't know where you get your info, but XYG makes no secret that they are a Chinese manufacturer.  As someone posting as an "employee", I'm surprised that you are not aware of this.

The facts are distorted

AUTHOR: Glassman - (USA)

XYG glass is actually the company that makes the original equipment glass on many Ford and GM cars, and actually costs more than Safelite's Windshields - made in their USA plant.

Update about the XYG windshield

AUTHOR: daisymay - (USA)

My update about the XYG glass used on our truck.

After calling Safeco to report the defective windshield, they referred me back to Safelite for a replacement windshield.

After researching on the internet which glass company to use to get our windshield it was between PGW or Libby-Owens Ford.  I told Safelite that we wanted the LOF glass and was told two days later that they cannot get a windshield from LOF.  Since this seemed odd, I called the company and they said they had over 300 of our model DW00819 at their warehouse.

When I called to confirm our appointment, I was told that they got the PGW windshield and to come in to have it installed.

We went to Safelite, and I told the manager about the LOF windshield and he mentioned that it was the Safelite warehouse that did not have the LOF in stock and that is why we got the PGW glass.

Next time, we need a replacement we will definitely ask for either LOF or PGW glass to be installed.  The manager mentioned to check our glass policy to see if we have the extra coverage for OEM glass, it costs a bit more a year but you will always get the OEM glass that the manufacture uses and not any off brand windshield.