Complaint Review: Safeco

• Reported By: Montana1987 — Billings Montana
Safeco
Internet USA

Safeco Third party claimaint experience: Bad Faith, Willful Ignorance  Internet

I was involved in an accident with a young lady insured by Safeco. She pulled out in front of me from a stop sign. I had the right-of-way in a 50 MPH zone. I locked em' up and collided with the front of her vehicle. Fortunately there were no injuries as a result of the accident.

The police report from the accident states that the young lady was cited for careless driving. I did not receive a citation as a result of the accident.

I could write a novel on my experiences with Safeco as a third-party claimant, but I'll summarize. It's interesting that some of the following are consistent with other reviews that I've read on Safeco.

Pre-determination of liability: Safeco indicated to me that they were going to establish comparative fault prior to the availability of the police report. In other words, they said the accident was partially my fault prior to seeing the police report.

Failure to acknowledge the scope of damages to my vehicle: Safeco's "field expert" performed an inadequate estimate on my truck. He failed to acknowledge that my radiator was damaged as a result of the accident. Also - he seemed to intentionally avoid speaking with my mechanic (the truck was on my mechanic's property). However, Safeco did eventually make corrective actions with the estimate.

Apparent retaliation: After realizing that Safeco had no intention of treating me fairly, I filed a formal complaint with the state's Commissioner of Securities and Insurance. I copied the letter to the claims adjuster via email. Several hours later, he informed me that I was found to be 100% liable for the accident.

Arbitrary changes in liability determination: I decided to go to the claims adjuster's supervisor to review the claim. I'm not sure why, but they quickly changed their liability determination to 50/50. This was likely because of the state's involvement in reviewing the case, but I've yet to hear exactly how they came to that determination. Apparently +/- 50% is acceptable at Safeco.

Willful ignorance: About 1 month after the accident, I provided Safeco with the police photos from the accident. I was thanked for the "additional photos". Through continuing to ask questions, it was brought to my attention that Safeco never acquired the police photos. It was indicated to me that the only accident photos they had were provided by their insured. In other words, Safeco willfully chose not to acquire all the evidence from the case.

Lying: It seems that this has happened multiple times, but here's an example - I was told that Safeco was unaware that police photos were taken! It's marked right on the report!

And the best part - throughout this process, I've dealt with the following:

Field Expert

Claims Adjuster

Claims Team Manager

Senior Claims Manager

Vice President of Claims

All of these individuals have collectively supported everything I've discussed. I'm quite confident that everything I've written is a reflection of Safeco's typical business practices.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/09/2013 03:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Safeco/internet/Safeco-Third-party-claimaint-experience-Bad-Faith-Willful-Ignorancenbsp-Internet-1065673. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Safeco