gay

21401 pacific highway Des Moines, Washington United States of America
  • Phone: (206) 824-2737
  • Web:
  • Category: Racists

Safeway Food & Drug Stores undercover security guards Racial Profiling and discrimination Des Moines, Washington

*UPDATE Employee: safeway store racial profiling

*Consumer Comment: What Proof?

March 10, 2010

I have been a loyal customer of Safeway located down the street from my house for over 15 years. THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR....Now I can empathize with my boyfriend (who is Hispanic) when he talks about racial profiling and being watched.

I am a loyal patron of my local Safeway grocery store. Many employees have watched me grow into a young adult. However, on March 10, 2010 I was dropping off a prescription at the pharmacy in the store at around 3pm and decided to buy some milk and extra groceries.

I noticed this big caucasian man in street clothes follow me around for the first 10 minutes while I did my grocery shopping. He was such a clumsy ass trying to be discrete about following me around he knocked over a display stand of cashews..

Trying not to think of the store stalker I leave the store with my groceries at 3:45pm

I later returned to Safeway at 5pm with my boyfriend to pick up my prescription and find some food for dinner AND WHO DO I SEE!!!??? that same man is there!!!! with his mock grocery basket and cell phone following my boyfriend and I around the store.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, we walk on by the trained racist under cover security guard...My boyfriend and I started from one corner of the store(the pharmacy) and casually walked all the way to Deli across the way.. AND WHo was there???!!! the Same guy who was undercover security...with another buddy of his in a grey sweatshirt.

Fed up with the Mockery of being followed in MY local Safeway I confronted him and asked if I could help him and why he was following us. I called him out! The man was in shock and denied my accusations in anger as he ( a 6'ft white man around 210lbs ) screamed at me(4'11 119lbs Filipino woman) at the deli calling me the "creep."

Frustrated and angry, I walk away and  to the cashier/supervisor(I believe his name is Muhammed) and told him my situation. He then gently takes me aside and notifies me of the fact that they are security.

I calmed down a bit after talking to the supervisor. My boyfriend and I left without dinner from Safeway. We ended up going to Subway next door.

I left having those "undercover" security win the battle...but they will NOT win the war... This is unjust and discriminative...Something needs to be done!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/11/2010 02:10 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Safeway-Food-Drug-Stores/Des-Moines-Washington-98198/Safeway-Food-Drug-Stores-undercover-security-guards-Racial-Profiling-and-discrimination-579724. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Safeway Food & Drug Stores

safeway store racial profiling

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

I am a current safeway employee and do so understand. Not only does this happen to customers, it happens to employees as well.This company is known for it's so called "Zero Tolerance Policy", which obviously was violated here, several employees of color have filed discrimination complaints as well.Here is a lnk to a recent case in Denver where a young man had a similar problem.

(((Redacted)))

What Proof?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

What proof do you have that you were being "followed" because of your race?

Because other than your "feeling", there is nothing in this report that shows any racisim.