Complaint Review: Safeway FuelStation

• Reported By: PissedD — Maryland United States of America
Safeway FuelStation
15916 South Crain Hwy Brandywine, Maryland United States of America

Safeway FuelStation Rigged Gas Meters to charge more!!! Brandywine, Maryland

Last night around 9:30 pm I stopped at the Safeway FuelStation to take advantage of their $3.57 per gallon regular gas price! I pulled in to the last pump #5, tried to use my Safeway card to get my points- but for some reason it did not work after several tries.  I proceeded to use my debit card in hopes that I would get the prompt to use the club card again, but it only accepted my debit card not the club.

I pressed the "87" grade button and pumped the gas.  Once the gas finished pumping, I got a receipt and noticed the charge was $3.79 per gallon not $3.57. So I figured it was because I hadn't used the club card. I then took the card, my receipt and debit card to the cashier and explained that I did not get the discounted rate, he then refunded 43 cents! So I questioned why the difference was so low, he looked at the receipt and says- I chose mid-grade, it's $3.79. I of course tried to explain that is not what I chose, I selected the 87 grade on the left- his response was that I must of bumped the mid grade!

Here is where my frustration is fueled (no pun intended), because obviously this is not my first time getting gas nor was it my first time at that gas station.  As I went back to my car once I realized the attendant was not going to be of any help, I noticed that the Mid-grade option was highlighted even though my transaction was complete as if it were a default option. There's no way for me to prove that the pump actually pumped Mid-grade gas even though I selected and intended to pay for regular grade gas and in all fairness there's no way to prove (unless there's surveillance of my transaction) I proactively chose regular grade- 87 gas.

This evidence of poor service and an attempt - and successful effort to get the consumer to pay more for gas is ridiculous and yes I feel completely ripped off. I was lured in because of the discounted rate but I guess they assumed I would not pay attention to what was actually paid! I did and this is unacceptable!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/18/2012 05:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Safeway-FuelStation/Brandywine-Maryland-20613/Safeway-FuelStation-Rigged-Gas-Meters-to-charge-more-Brandywine-Maryland-884475. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Safeway FuelStation