Complaint Review: Sallie Mae

• Submitted: Wed, January 23, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, January 24, 2013

• Reported By: Stephen J. Gunn — Glen Mills Pennsylvania United States of America
Sallie Mae
PO Box 9500 Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania United States of America
  • Phone: 888-272-5543
  • Web:
  • Category: Loans

Sallie Mae Officers of the Sallie Mae Sallie Mae applied significant amount of extra payments to interest rather than principle over a year ago and will not re-calculete using the correct allocations. Six coresspondences have been sent Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: FOIA?

*Consumer Comment: FOIA?

Following is the sixth correspondence sent to Sallie Mae without any adjustments to my account. My next step will be to file a lawsuit with Smalls Claims Court perhaps a class action suit with others with similar issues.

Third Freedom of Information Act Request
                                                                   Dated January12. 2013
                                                                    (((ROR redacted)))

Acct:  xx

December 11, 2012
Sallie Mae Servicing Corp.
PO Box 9500
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773-9500
snyder@widener.edu
Dear Ms. or Sir:

As you may know I have several problems with my loan (ref, above). I have submitted emails via your website concerning some problems and I would like you to address these two questions:
1)      Shouldn't Sallie Mae charge me interest for the missed payments at the same amount as they would have taken out of my payments as if we sent in the minimum amount? That is what your agent told us when she approved the deferment. If so, that monthly interest amount averaged $40 resulting in interest of $560 which should have been applied to my loan, not the $2475 that I was charged for Capitalized Interest. 2)
2)      Also, as importantly, shouldnt Sallie Mae have applied the amount over our minimum payment to the principal and not interest (for example - on 9/30/2012 we paid $1,200 Sallie Mae applied $366.36 to Principal & $824.29 to Interest which appears to be unlawful) I believe that Sallie Mae needs to adjust that payment (and 2 others 4/22/10 & 4/22/11) and re-calculate principal & interest going forward from 4/22/10).

I submit this request for answers and monetary adjustments to my loan in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act.

Sincerely
Stephen J. Gunn

Added Text (SJG 1/12/13): Please note that the automated template responses to my emails sent by your Company do not answer my questions fully and do not relate to the above issues. Additionally, your phone representative did not understand my concerns on around Jan.3rd. Nor did your recent letter address my concerns. I know how to calculate interest and I had printed out my payment history prior to any of my correspondence. Pleas respond via formal letter (not template answers. This will be my last correspondence. If I do not receive adjustments to my account and an adequate response to all of my concerns I will take legal action.

Sincerely:

Stephen J. Gunn

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2013 07:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sallie-Mae/Wilkes-Barre-Pennsylvania-18773-9500/Sallie-Mae-Officers-of-the-Sallie-Mae-Sallie-Mae-applied-significant-amount-of-extra-payme-1002256. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sallie Mae

FOIA?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I really hope you are not paying the attorney who is giving this legal advise.

If by chance you are then you may want to at least get a second opinion.  If you are acting as your own lawyer..well paraphrasing the old saying "He who represents himself in court, has a fool for a client".

FOIA?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I really hope you are not paying the attorney who is giving this legal advise.