Complaint Review: Salliemae

• Updated: Fri, May 09, 2014

• Reported By: shelly9782 — British Columbia
Salliemae
P.O BOX 9242 CHELSEA , Massachusetts USA

Salliemae delta management associatesunited funding Abuse in debt chelsea Massachusetts

*Consumer Comment: I think I translated what you really meant to say...

I had a Sallemae federal loan since 2006 I paid on it since 2008 and they just took my tax refund of 5,000. They called my work and ask my boss to give us approval to garnash my wages and then my boss almost fired me.

They called all my family members and then called my work again and said we know she is there we have her social security number. So my boss said if they call anymore you are fired.

I called to resolve this with sallemae they said they dont have the old statement. I dont have it i left the country in 2008 and moved away. I came back to the u.s and got a job now there bothering me again.

So I ask for my first statement when i started the loan and they said they wont send it by email in which i dont have a home address so i said send it to email... They sent my mother which is 75 and cosigner a bill for 17,000 she almost had a heart attack and she started crying because they told her their going to take her social security. My mother only has that to live on.

My dad just died and i have a 3 year old to take care of so i told them i can pay you 50.00 a month thats all i can afford so they said fine we will continue to keep your loan in default. So even with telling them i will make a payment they wont work with me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/09/2014 11:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Salliemae/Massachusetts-02150/Salliemae-delta-management-associatesunited-funding-Abuse-in-debt-chelsea-Massachusetts-1145368. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Salliemae

I think I translated what you really meant to say...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

While it was quite tough, I think I actually have translated what you are really trying to say...

- What you were really saying is...That you couldn't make your payments in 2008 so you fled the Country for 5-6 years hoping that they would just forget about it.  Only to find out that they now not only want the original debt, they want the interest over these years as well.

- What you are really saying is...that you should be able to make up what ever payment you think you can make and they MUST accept it.  If they don't then it is their problem and they are the one to blame.

You see here is your problem.  You owe 17,000 and at $50 even if they suspended all interest that means that you would be paying on this for just over the next 28 YEARS.

The fact is that they had the legal right to intercept your tax refund, and it will be intercepted each and every year until your debt is paid off.  If you think you are being smart and adjust your withholding so you don't have a refund at the end of the year.  If they don't get their money that way they will take other legal means.  Oh and what is that...well you already know one.  Wage Garnishment(which by the way they don't need your employers permission to do).  The other is they may be able to go into ANY bank account with your name and withdraw every single penny until the debt is paid..without advance notice.

Now, the reason I bring this up.  Because it appears you tried to skip out once by leaving the Country, and unless you want do that again they are going to get their money unless you can come up with some agreement that is mutually agreeable to both parties.

One positive I can give you is that it is illegal in just about every case to fire someone related to a Wage Garnishment.  So if this is your first ever Garnishment with this job, if your boss does fire you.  There is a good chance you have a very valid case against the employer.    Now, of course your boss could make up reasons that make it seem that it wasn't.  But depending on the timing he would have a very hard case trying to prove it wasn't because of the garnishment.  Note...if this is your 2nd or 3rd(or more) garnishment...all bets are off and in most cases a firing would be legal.

So as a suggestion, perhaps you should send them a letter asking them to send you an offer of what they would accept.  Then once you know what they want, send them a letter back with a counter offer to get your loan out of default.