Complaint Review: Salon Joseph

• Updated: Tue, February 19, 2013

• Reported By: BeckiA — Boynton Beach Florida United States of America
Salon Joseph
140 North Congress Avenue Boynton Beach, Florida United States of America

Salon Joseph Joe's Hair and Nails, Awful Experience. Cash only. No talent. Small Child running around. Unprofessional. Horrible. Boynton Beach, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Mafia.

*UPDATE Employee: Public Record

*Author of original report: An Obvious Owner or Employee Reply to the truth!

*Consumer Comment: Salon Joseph, friendly family owned local barber/salon. Very happy customer with 10 years of patronage.

I was looking for a new salon in the boynton beach area and found this salon because it was located close to the place where my son likes to play. So I made an appointment with a hairstylist who assured me that they were very good with cuts and coloring.  When I arrived for my appointment, there were very few people in the salon (this should have been my first clue), yet I had to wait more than 10 minutes for my stylist to call me up. After explaining what I wanted (a cut, color, and blowdry) she assured me that I was "in good hands". A few minutes into my cut, two men came from a back area yelling at each other in spanish, and continued yelling without a care for the customers in the shop.

I was irritated, but decided to finish with what I came for (as a mother I have very little me time). Shortly after a little girl came out from the back and started talking to what appeared to be her mother. The little girl was complaining about what was on the tv and that she was bored. She then started playing in the chairs and running in the shop. The woman gave her a broom and told her to sweep. I asked if she was there all the time and was told that she was the owners daughter (I have a small child and I thought this was entirely inappropriate to have her in the salon). I go to a salon for a small relaxing get away and this was not!

So I asked to cancel my color and just blow dry my hair. When I was all done, I saw that my hair was completly uneven and was horrified (I get a simple bob cut!) I was upset and told them so. They offered to fix it, but I just wanted to leave. When I went to pay I was told it was cash only! Lucky I had some with me to pay, but what salon takes cash only??!! I waited to be checked out by an older man who was more interested in watching horse racing than his client! Not only were they rude, unprofessional and lacking talent, the entire salon was dirty. I will never go back and I make sure to tell all my friends about this disgusting salon. I hope this saves someone from a horrible experience!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/15/2011 06:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Salon-Joseph/Boynton-Beach-Florida-/Salon-Joseph-Joes-Hair-and-Nails-Awful-Experience-Cash-only-No-talent-Small-Child-run-718167. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Salon Joseph

Mafia.

AUTHOR: Ned Hernandez - Publix Manager - (United States of America)

These people aren't in business for hair. Very shady with "cash only" payments. Sounds to me like they don't want anyone to know how much money they're trafficking. Red flags all over this place, plus based on the reviews... I smell nothing but mob guys. Guineas.

Public Record

AUTHOR: VGOHIO - (United States of America)

Just what the title says..Public Record.!! Praise Joe Jr. all you want..public record shows registered complaints to the State for working without a valid license with other complaints made against other staff members. Check your facts. (DBPR online svcs.)

Public record shows arrests for domestic battery, and false imprisonment. This is someone you want cutting your hair?

Good luck with that.. $17 a haircut funds alot of marijuana purchases.

Building used to be across the street but was evicted for non payment of rent. (Public Record)

Business used to be called Joes Hair and Nails. Funny how name was changed and location when money was owed. (Public Record) God i love the internet!!

An Obvious Owner or Employee Reply to the truth!

AUTHOR: BeckiA - (United States of America)

Thank goodness for email notifications! When I read GLaDOUS' rebuttal I was rather shocked. While I am glad that you had, and are still having, fabulous treatment at this disgusting salon, I did not!

I wrote about my experience for others, not for you, who seems to have a vested interest in this salon (naming repeatedly where to find the salon, family hertiage, haircut prices, etc.). I gave a TRUE account of what happened and am very offended that you call my report "completely inappropriate", but as an employee or whatever you are to this business, you may say it is.

I guess if you refer to an old feel barber shop before they realized the importance of cleanliness and disease, then your description would be accurate. And while it might not be my business that this salon allows a small child to run around in a place where there are chemicals, sharp scissors and patrons paying for a service; it is a complete putoff to people, like myself, who go to a SALON, not a daycare, for a haircut.

Your response to my distaste about the child being there was "babysitters are expensive" and "it's not my business", but it seems to me you have taken yet another personal interest in this woman who is a "single mother". I think this place takes the term "Family Owned and Operated" to the extreme. There are plenty of services avaliable for people to put their children in daycare at a cheap rate. But again, my review was about the OVERALL picture of the salon, not some woman's plight about her "single mother" situation.

I will say that maybe that says something about her hairdressing skills if she can't keep enough clientele to afford to put her child in the appropriate place while she's at work. Thank you for giving me a shining example of you get what you pay for!

I also wanted to thank you for confirming that this salon doesn't do a good job the first time. Turning around on your way to work to have your beard trim fixed wasn't a hassle? You were more than happy to have to go back and get it fixed? I'm sure you had nothing better to do with your time, GLaDOUS with a beard. I know that I would have been mad.  Maybe those "gum-chewing barber school grads" (as you put it GLaDOUS) could give the entire staff a couple lessons on how to cut hair.

As far as giving this place a second try, you have got to be kidding me! Why would I PAY to put myself through such an experience again? I wouldn't even recommend a dog grooming in this place!

Quite frankly, I don't care enough about this salon to get into a comment war; however I did feel that I need other REAL CONSUMERS to get a very clear picture of this "business" and  how they operate. To those people that aren't owners, employees, or whatever GLaDOUS is to this business...
                                                                    Run away from this place!

AUTHOR: GLaDOS - (United States of America)

I have been going to Salon Joseph for about 10 years now. I was so pleased when I found the shop (which was then located by the Publix on Congress and Boynton Beach Blvd). It is very hard to find a good barber/salon. All the generic chain hair cutteries constantly left me unhappy. The first time I went to Joe was around the time I was 18 or 19. The people were friendly, my hair cut rocked, and I left very pleased with the whole experience. But one trip does not define a place, so I decided to go back, and wala! Same results!

Over the years (I am 28 now) I have gotten to know the whole family, the father, son and daughter. The place reminds me of what I hear barber shops used to be like, intimate and friendly. Every time I go there I feel like I am in the company of friends. While I never see them outside the shop, when I do visit them (maybe once every 2-3 months) they greet me like family.

I don't know who was "yelling in Spanish", because the whole family is Sicilian. I just got back from getting a haircut, and the little girl was there, sitting quietly in a chair playing a hand held video game. However, it is maybe the second or third time I have seen her, and in fact had to ask the daughter if that was her daughter. I do understand how having her there could raise an eyebrow to some people, but I also understand that, 1. it is none of my business, and 2. sometimes a single mother has to do what she has to do. As a kid my mom used to take me to work with her all the time, as babysitters are expensive.

As for them not accepting plastic, it has been explained to me that they do that in order to keep their prices down. I can completely understand where this could be a huge inconvenience for some people, as a womans day out to the salon involves more than a simple trim, and can quickly get pricey. Also living in an age where the Debit Card is more common than cash, it does seem like a drawback, however if it means keeping my haircut at $17.00 plus tip for a true Old World experience, I'll take it.

I have never seen the shop dirty, and was surprised to read that. I don't even think I have even seen piles of hair on the floor, ever.

I am not saying that it is impossible to have a bad experience there, however a review this over the top is completely inappropriate.

It is to be noted also that my step father goes all the time as well, as we found the place together.

In the interest of complete transparency, one time I got a trim/beard trim and while driving to work, I noticed that my beard was somewhat uneven, I turned around and explained to the daughter that I wanted her to even it out, and she did with a smile and no sign of hostility or contempt.

All in all, Salon Joseph is a wonderful local family owned business, that has been in business for over 15 years. Competing with the chain haircut places full of gum chewing barber school grads and fighting through this recession. So that stands for something. I recommend them to all my friends.

I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience, however 10 years of patronage and over 15 years of longevity show that it was an anomaly.

I would urge you to give them another chance, as I feel they are the best place in town. They have since moved from their original location to across the street, by the Billiards place on the East side of Congress Ave.