Complaint Review: Sams Club

• Submitted: Fri, April 04, 2003
  • Updated: Mon, December 22, 2008

• Reported By:Vacaville California
Sams Club
608 Southwest 8th St Bentonville, Arkansas U.S.A.

Sams Club Discraceful Customer Service abused & mistreated. Ripoff. Bentonville, Arkansas

*Consumer Comment: Watch your credit reports!!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Read your terms and conditions

*UPDATE Employee: Read your card!

*Consumer Comment: Good old south

*Consumer Comment: It's a good policy

*Consumer Suggestion: $.08 a day too much

*Consumer Comment: "WE ARE IN BUSINESS FOR SMALL BUSINESS"

*UPDATE Employee: 100% satisfaction guaranteed

*UPDATE Employee: Look Elsewhere Marcos...

*Consumer Comment: Rules are Rules

*Consumer Comment: Think before you make a Stink

*UPDATE Employee: To John The Manager

*Consumer Suggestion: What are you griping about?????

*UPDATE Employee: Wait a Second please, don't lump us all into that catagory

*UPDATE Employee: Clearing more up

*Consumer Comment: Response to Marco's Response

*Consumer Comment: Response to Marco's Response

*UPDATE Employee: This might help clear it up

*Consumer Suggestion: WHO NEEDS A MEMBERSHIP AT ScAMS CLUB???

*Consumer Suggestion: What could you possibly expect form a carefree store

*Consumer Comment: if a company is in business for a specific purpose, they should do just

*Consumer Comment: Kirk, you were correct

*Author of original report: With this current corporate policy, they are bound to lose non business members to their compeditors.

*Consumer Comment: Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't

*Consumer Suggestion: Easy Solution , I don't see this as a rip-off.

*Consumer Comment: It has always been that way...

I have been a member of Sams Club for over 3 years and a die-hard shopper of both Sams Club and Walmart Stores. This morning, I went to my local Sams Club Warehouse and was told to leave because I was not a "business member." Apparently they have this policy of only business members shopping before 10 am.

I have gone into this warehouse many times before 10 am and no one has ever mentioned this to me before, much less kicked me out. The greeter told me to talk to the manager and pointed to a lady who was walking away from the front door to the check out's (She was a manager of some sort) She heard me mention (as I said it loud enough) that this was not very customer or member friendly to deny a paying member the opportunity to shop!

She continued to walk away as if she didn't care that there was a customer service issue at hand. It should make no difference what type of member (business or personal) that you may happen to be, any store(membership or otherwise) should not turn away business.

It is bad enough that we have to endure their long lines at the checkouts because they don't want to hire more people to checkout members. We usually have to wait an average of 15 mins. to get checked out and they thank us by kicking us out because we go into their store early? What's wrong with this picture?

I am cancelling my membership and will not be shopping at Sam's or Walmart Stores ever again and I will be encouraging everyone I know to do the same. Walmart & Sams may be the largest retailer in the world but they have the worst customer (no) service in the industry!

Kirk
Vacaville, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/04/2003 11:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sams-Club/Bentonville-Arkansas-72716/Sams-Club-Discraceful-Customer-Service-abused-mistreated-Ripoff-Bentonville-Arkansas-51610. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sams Club

Watch your credit reports!!!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

I just went round and round with Sams Club Customer Service recently because I found out that anyone that has allowance (extra card issued) from account holders allows to use the account and they issue a card, Sams Club will go to credit agencies of those other "allowed buyers on account" and report the actual Main account holder's usage on their reports as well!!

This is not right, as credit bureau reporting is for point ranking those seeking loans/financing and anyone who is simply authorized to use the same account with additional card is NOT a co-borrower or such; so how can Sam's Club now go against thsoe others ona cocunt to make them essentially liable for the actual acocunt hodler's card & usage? Now when you authorize an additional credit card to be issued for your spouse or such say from Visa or MC they issue one, but the credit reports of those other persons on your account do not report on their reports, only the main account holder who requested & received the credit account to begin with.... Not so with Sam's Club.

If someone does not request credit nor gives their SS number, you have to ask how the heck does Sam's Club get their SS numbers to report to credit bureaus?? The only way is to do something illegal or unethical much like a hacker does in identity theft and this needs to be addressed by Fed regulators and FTC investigators as I see it.

If a person requests credit and gives SS number, fine your credit report will be hit. If that person gets extra card(s) for others to use and they did not request credit nor gave their SS number, there is no way their credit reports should show all activity of the prime account hodler who was issued this credit... But Sam's Club has been doing this..

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Read your terms and conditions

AUTHOR: Jen - (U.S.A.)

I remeber seeing the sign at my local Sam's Club (and its competetors) about business hours from the first time I entered one, and I wasn't old enough to have a membership. The key to keeping these kind of "rip-offs" from occuring in the future is to read. Read the terms and conditions they make you sign when you purchase a service. Read the signs on the door where they tell you important information. This information is not there for the employees' enjoyment, it is for you to understand what you are getting. It is not a rip off if you are getting what you paid for, you are trying to get something that you haven't paid for.

Read your card!

AUTHOR: Allybgood05 - (U.S.A.)

It clearly states on your membership card that ALL Sam's Clubs are open strictly for business members 7AM-10AM M-F and 7AM-9AM on Saturdays. There should also be a sign stating that it is Gold Key Hours for Business Members in front of the store, and the people greeters are supposed to catch it. If you've gotten by before it's probably because the greeters are usually 300 years old, but it is right on your membership card unless you have one from pre-2000.

Good old south

AUTHOR: P - (U.S.A.)

I just curiously started reading all the stuff about Sam's Club. I agree with some of the good and bad people have said.

First of all, Sam's has the cheapest gas anywhere around here and if you use your card it saves you another 3 cents. Calculate that at whatever amount of gas you buy and it will probably pay for your membership in a year. It does ours.

If you don't like your store, go to a neighboring town who isn't as busy. We go to Hendersonville instead of Asheville when we can because it's newer, bigger, less people, friendly service and overall better store. It has that good old southern hospitality. Worth driving 20 miles.

As for the products. We have always had good service including tires, medications, food, paper products, etc. and if we weren't happy they always fixed it for us. We bought canned food in SC and they exchanged the whole case for us in NC because some of the cans were bent and some didn't have labels. No questions asked, but we did have a receipt.

That's another thing. They check all the receipts for merchandise that goes out of there. Can you imagine how many companies would save us money because they weren't getting ripped off if they did that too. Paying a retiree would certainly be cheaper than losing stolen merchandise out the doors so often.

And that's all I've got to say about that today.

It's a good policy

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

You spend $1,800 a year at Sam's, good for you. Businesses can spend more than that in one trip. They buy a LOT of stuff, by the pallet load, and you wouldn't want me in front of you, for example, in the cashier line with 100 cases of soda and 500 lbs. of rice. Plus, business customers are in and out quickly, not like the bored housewives pawing over very damn item on the shelves, stuffing their faces on samples, and complaining about the forklift coming down the aisle. That's why Sam's even offers breakfast to business customers early in the morning, because we PAY a hell of a lot more than a private person. It's a privelege we pay for and a necessity for business. I can't be waiting in line behind some old lady waiting to buy her 50 lb. box of Poptarts so she can get home to watch Oprah.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

$.08 a day too much

AUTHOR: Jen - (Canada)

I have a hard time coming to grips with everyone angry about business / personal members when it only seems absurd to me that anyone would buy a membership to shop somewhere. Costco and Sam's Club both make a profit on your purchases yet they charge a fee for you to spend your money??? I have three kids and a husband who consume a large amount of products that are supposed to be cheaper at these stores, yet, we can never make it all the way through the large portions of whatever might be in the open can. Even a large fridge and an extra large deep freezer don't help.

In truth I find that I spend far less for consumable goods than my member counterparts by purchasing extra when the product is on sale in the regular grocery store, and I don't get stuck with 2 litres of open mustard in my fridge (instead I buy several of the normal size bottles when they are on sale).The idea of paying a store to allow me to shop there is in my opinion a waste of money.

"WE ARE IN BUSINESS FOR SMALL BUSINESS"

AUTHOR: Gordon - (U.S.A.)

Sams Slogan......

100% satisfaction guaranteed

AUTHOR: Rebecca - (U.S.A.)

If you do not like how you were treated I suggest that you go to the membership and get your membership refunded because it is 100% guaranteed. Not all Sam's Club are like that. Member Satisfaction is first, but we do cater more to business members. I apologize if you felt like the management ignored you. The special hours are to help out business members and the hours have been that way for at least a year. If you continue to have problems with your club call 1-800-walmart it is a better way to get something done about how you are being treated. And as far as Marco goes I have worked for Sears, Kmart, and GFS and I LOVE Sam's and wouldn't work anywhere else. Hopefully no one will be discouraged because of you comments. I know at my club we would do almost anything to keep our members happy and associates also.

Look Elsewhere Marcos...

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Again Marcos, I apologize that you have had to go through what you are in your Club. It should not happen, there is no excuse or reason that you or any other associate in that Club or another Club should be treated that way. Again I can urge you to use the Open Door Policy to talk to you Director of Operations, if that doesnt work go higher... there is a place on the WIRE, or pipeline to contact the Home office about issues, if not.. look into another Club. I support this company and feel strongly that it is a great place to work and grow in, and would say that there are great Clubs out there... look around, call other people/managers in other clubs and talk to them. You should be happy working in the Club that you do... Hope I helped. If there is something I can do for you, ask here and I will do what I can for you. Ill make calls, or talk to whomever to help... just ask.

Rules are Rules

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

Well I guess Kirk thinks he is special. Sam's Clubs have RULES and they are just enforcing them. But I guess Kirk thinks he is SPECIAL or something and doesnt have to follow the rules unles he wants to. Well TOUGH. You need to just SHUT UP and follow the rules. The Rule is BUSINESS MEMBERS FROM 7:00am to 10:00am. Dont like it, get a BUSINESS MEMBERSHIP & SHIT UP !!!!

Think before you make a Stink

AUTHOR: Brooke - (U.S.A.)

I am a business member of SAMS and have not ever taken advantage of the special shopping hours extended by SAMS for the Business Membership that I gladly pay a higher rate for. For those of you that are willing to pay higher prices for groceries and other products because you feel discriminated against or you feel you have to wait too long, please do so since you will only be hurting your own budget.

There are millions of greatly satisfied SAMS customers who appreciate the savings and are not going to make a stink about such small beans.

AUTHOR: Marcos - (U.S.A.)

Hey John, maybe you are one of the very few who actually tries to do something to resolve issues your club may have, but unfortunately the good managers (like you claim to be) are few and far in between. I admit there are 1 or 2 managers in my club who have not let the title go to their head, but the other ones who dont care are giving them the bad reputation.

I too try to learn every aspect of my job, but unfortunately for me, my manager doesnt believe in merit raises or even the occasional "atta-boy." I have handfuls and handfuls of regular members who come in to be served specifically by me and have had numerous comment cards and letters sent in because of the excellent service I provide.

So I will admit that not all members are bad in the ways I have described above nor are all the managers. I used to love my job when I first started, but all the time I have spent there at Sams club being exposed to the corruption makes me want to leave. I have friends and relatives who work for different Sams Clubs and its always the same song and dance, just in a different department and/or store.

#16 Consumer Suggestion

What are you griping about?????

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

All of the membership stores have this same policy. Costco also has its business only members hours.

If Sam's Town was "ONLY" in business for the small business then they would be a lot smaller and most of you employees would be working elsewhere. If only business owners shopped there then there would be a lot less stores and a lot less employees needed.

Maybe the reason the non business member was turned away was because some of the business members complained.

Bradley if you have an issues with Sam's Club go pay the higher prices at the regular retail stores. Are you looking for a gay Bar???

Wait a Second please, don't lump us all into that catagory

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Marcos, a few things in response to your comments.
1. To hear you say that ALL management within Sams Club and the Company is corrupt with favortism and such offends me. I spent years within three Clubs serving our members, working hard, and learning everything I could to get where I am now. I am honored to say that I work for Sams Club and as a Manager.

Are there places out there with bad managers? sure... but that is how it is in society at large. I can apologize for the way that you feel you have been treated or actually have been treated by certain managers in the past but, please, don't lump us all into that catagory. I care about my associates a great deal and would bend over backward for any of them. That is my job.
2. For you to say that we do nothing to change our ways, I disagree whole heartedly. Every day, week, month, etc... something new comes across my desk or through the company reacting to a new change, problem, etc.. and we work very hard to make a difference fast. Maybe I am in a region that cares about making a difference, but everyday I can guarantee that every manager in my club as well as the other two in my City are dedicated to our associates and members: to fix their issues and resolve them.
3. For the people that are upset about the 7am to 10am Business hours, this is my repsonse. Sams Club is "In Business for Small Business". We were founded on the premise that we would serve the small businesses of the Country, offering them a place to shop for the items they need on a consistent basis. I agree that it became popular and we opened the door to allow those that did not operate a business to join. If you own OR operate your own business you actually pay a lesser amount for membership, we open our doors for Business members from 7am-10am to aloow them the time to get the supplies they may need in the morning to get their business going that early. Every Club has their hours posted on the front doors of the Clubs. But Monday through Saturday we are open early to take care of our basic business principle... "In Business for Small Business."
4. Marcos, I wish you the best. Maybe you are in a club with issues... use the Open Door policy if you feel mistreated. THat is why it is there. If your GM doesnt work, contact your DO. If not that, keep going up. It works, I can attest to it.
I love working for this company.. it has always treated me well and that associates that work for and with me. Do we make mistakes? yes, and we own up to them and make the changes to fix them.
Thanks for listening....

Clearing more up

AUTHOR: Marcos - (U.S.A.)

Ok how much does one have to take before they can stand up to someone for the way they are being treated? You can come into my club anytime and rest assured that you will be given excellent member service. Yes I agree that respect and service are key to a successful business, but the respect issue is a 2-way street. I am working there as the "middle-man" between the business and the member. You cannot demand respect and give none in return. What I cannot stand is members who come in with bad attitudes and want everything done for them. I am not a personal slave and I refuse to be treated as one.

Lets just go back to what I said in the first place...Years ago, a person had to have a wholesale license to shop membership warehouses like the one I work in. In other words, if you owned a business, you can shop there. Now the rules have changed a bit, but lets just think about it this way...If things were the same now as they were then, would we be having this discussion? I think not, because most people dont have a business license. But those rules have changed and we still have to go back again...and that is "Give them an inch and they take a mile."

Response to Marco's Response

Marco....
Your words, "I have learned to just sit there, keep my nose clean and my mouth shut and do my work until I feel it is time to move on to a career that will allow me to be prosperous. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AT SAMS CLUB!!"
With an attitude like the one you convey in your rebuttal, one of customer disrespect and no service, you will never acquire a career that will allow you to be prosperous.

I have been in retail over 40 years and it is service and respect that drove the business...now it's price! Therefore, excuse me and the rest of us that think that the management and workers should have a better attitude towards their bread and butter, (our money).

It is no secret that bug business such as WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's and Costco have dictated to companies what price they will pay for goods, so that they make windfall profits by both the what they sell their goods for and cutting labor to the bone. The big picture is always missed....

Response to Marco's Response

Marco....

This might help clear it up

AUTHOR: Marcos - (U.S.A.)

A long time ago, Sams Club used to be called Pace here in So Cal. They were competitors with Price Club who has now been renamed to Costco. If any of you remember back then, you had to apply and be approved for a membership to either of those places in order to shop there for your small business needs. Now it seems as if any idiot with $30 can walk in and get a membership and think that we as employees owe them the world. If we seem a little rude to you one day, you should try putting up with people's BS all day and see how you feel.

Sams Club only used to cater to the businesses and corner markets, but has now become so popular that from open to close there are those dreaded lines that everyone thinks they are too good to wait in. Since Sams Club can now be shopped by basically anyone, they have tried to continue to cater to the small businesses by allowing owners to come in and pick up their supplies before the mad rush of people come barrelling through the doors at 10am. How would you feel if you went to your favorite corner market to find it is closed because the owner is stuck in line trying to get the very items that you came in for?

As for any of you people that said no one ever disclosed the specific shopping hours to you, LEARN TO READ!!! Everything you need to know is written in front of the store, on signs, and most importantly, on the pamphlets and paperwork you filled out to get your membership.

Still feeling ripped off? Think about it this way..if we went 10 years back in time, most of you that are whining about it now wouldnt even be allowed in the store because you dont own a friggin business!! You are being given the allowance of shopping Sams Club for a small annual fee, but that still isnt good enough for you. Like the old saying goes, "Give them an inch and they take a mile." If you pay attention, Sams Club does offer a lower price on its merchandise than most supermarkets and you only have to pay an annual fee of $30. So if you go buy something everyday, it is only costing you 8 cents per day to shop there. If thats too much to ask for big savings and a little extra time spent in line, then by all means go somewhere else. Believe me, it doesnt hurt any of our feelings to hear you say, "I'll just go somewhere else like Costco." It only makes me happy to hear that I have pissed you off a little by not letting you have your way.

And one more thing. For you all who say that Sams does absolutely nothing to change thier ways, I agree. In the time I have worked for them, I have realized that you have to be a complete idiot to be a manager.. and if you have a complaint, you may as well just direct it to a brick wall. There is so much favoritism and corruption within the company and even more so within the individual stores that its not even funny. I have learned to just sit there, keep my nose clean and my mouth shut and do my work until I feel it is time to move on to a career that will allow me to be prosperous. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AT SAMS CLUB!!

In closing, I do feel some of your pain, but the rest of you will probably never be satisfied and will always try to take advantage and get something free out of life... and Sams Club. If you dont like it, then any Sams Club will be happy to fully refund your membership at anytime.

#22 Consumer Suggestion

WHO NEEDS A MEMBERSHIP AT ScAMS CLUB???

AUTHOR: Bradley - (U.S.A.)

Nice that ScAMS CLUB doesnt want its "business" customers to have to wait a couple mins in line. But then its okay to have only 2 checkouts open for a hundred customers during there "regular hours"

I agree, they should not have it both ways: EITHER THEY SERVE THE BUSINESS BOYS OR SERVE THE GENERAL PUBLIC.

HA HA HA ....SAMS CLUB..sounds like a gay bar.

#23 Consumer Suggestion

What could you possibly expect form a carefree store

AUTHOR: ANTHONY - (U.S.A.)

I have been a member of sams club for 12 years now and have watched them do nothing more than grow. I will say that inspite the rapid growth and success it amazes me of how plain and non animated a store full of underachievers can pull this off. I am a self-service shopper Walmart and sams club have made me this way, since no-one can ever answer a question with a positive response. As for the business hours issue that was created to allow heavy purchasers to go in and buy up huge carts of merchandise and shop without the interruption of the single item or single buggy buyer. i.e. non business consumer. It seems unfair since both memberships cost the same amout. solution: sign up as a business member, just start your own snail shell painting or sock census business and wala your a 7am qualifyer. Play the game smart and you'll find a little less stress in your life. Sams nor walmart will never care to change anything so-as-long as we the people, let them get away with being a sloppy, retailer..

Dear C-Seattle,
Obviously if a company is in business for a specific purpose, they should do just that...stick to what they do! If Sam's is in business for business, then they should not allow individuals to become members....but wait, if they did that, than they wouldn't receive revenue from those "individuals" memberships and purchases. You have obviously missed my point. I won't go into the why's and how's and the fact that I have been in retail and manufacturing my entire adult life, the fact is they are not customer friendly as they once were....when Sam Walton was still running things!

The other point that I thought I made was, if businesses have special hours, than why don't they all shop during those "special hours?" If a business owner can't wait for me to purchase one or two items in the morning than why should I have to wait 15-20 minutes for them to make their purchases for thier mini market after "special hours". I am happy to say that due to this entire issue, I was pleased to receive a personal letter from WalMart's corporate office (apparently someone from WalMart reads these postings) apologizing for this issue and they have since stopped enforcing the policy (at least at the club I shop at) because most "individual members" don't shop that early anyway!

AUTHOR: C - (United States Minor Outlying Islands)

Sam's Club is only slightly different than a wholesale market and was designed to help business owners. Maybe the problem in this store design that caused you such aggravation is the fact that Sam's Club is allowing non-business-owning-consumers in the door. The fact that they allow you to shop in the market designed for business owners seems to be causing the complaint. Therefore, you should just stick with Wal-Mart.

Also, if the company is employing over one million people, don't let one employee's lack of immediacy change your lifestyle. It sounds as though you were told at the door that the store had opened early for business members only and you, being a non-business owner, disliked this rule. There is no excuse for rudeness, but common sense can be used. Maybe it was the manager's first day on the job. Maybe it was her last day on the job. Most likely, the person you saw was not even a manager and the clerk didn't know you had previously gone in a hundred times before during the businesses-only hours. No one did you wrong -- you just got your feelings hurt and felt rejected.

Kirk, you were correct

AUTHOR: Robin - (U.S.A.)

I asked the manager at our local Sam's Club about this. She said that the policy is now Business Members Only 7 AM-10 AM Mon-Sat. Oddly enough, I AM a business member and was never informed of this change! I asked when this new (to me) policy went into effect and was told vaguely "long time ago".

If you need to shop early for whatever reason then this is evidently not the place for you. There was a lack of enforcement for some time; I have no idea why the sudden crackdown. It seems a bit extreme to me. One or two "business members only" mornings would seem like enough; shoot, I've been going on the former one day all this time and have not had a problem with it. Sorry for the misinformation above.

AUTHOR: Kirk - (U.S.A.)

As a follow up to my complaint regarding Sam's Club, specifically to Robin & Terrance:
This morning I was contacted by the Club manager, that their "Business Only Members" time frame policy has been disregarded over the past few years and ALL members have been allowed to shop during operating hours (7:30 am - 8:00 pm), however, they have been enforcing the "Business Only Members" shopping time over the past couple of weeks. The "Business Only" shopping time is 7:30 am - 10:00 am EVERYDAY!

As I mentioned before, I have shopped in this warehouse before 10am in the past and never has anyone kicked me out.

As far as I am concerned, whatever hours a store is open, they should allow all of their customers, or in this case, paying members to shop regardless. With this current corporate policy, they are bound to lose non business members to their compeditors.

Why should it be fair that business members can shop anytime while non business members have certain times to shop...non business members still have to contend with the long lines caused by business members when they make their bulk purchases outside "business members only" hours.

Since 1/1/03, I have spent $1,827.57 in that warehouse and $578.27 across the street at Walmart. Since this incident, I am now taking my business (and money) where it will be appreciated.

Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't

AUTHOR: OurJasper - (U.S.A.)

Kirk stated that he's been allowed to go into the store early, with the business people. Perhaps he didn't see the sign when he originally signed up, and has been lucky up until now. I know, that's exactly what happened to us. We had been going in early for 3 years, then all of a sudden, wham. It was because the sign they had was so faded and marked over, you couldn't tell anything by reading it. Then all of a sudden, one day, you can't come in here now, this is reserved for business owners. As for Torrence's suggestion to buy a business owners card, it doesn't work that way, at least not here. You have to show them your paperwork showing you own/work for a business.

#35 Consumer Suggestion

Easy Solution , I don't see this as a rip-off.

AUTHOR: Terrance - (U.S.A.)

If you want to shop during the "Business Member" hours, pay the extra for a business membership.

I don't see this as a rip-off. The bottom line was they were closed (to non-business members anyway). Would you expect any other store that was closed to let you in to shop just because it was convenient for you?

It has always been that way...

AUTHOR: Robin - (U.S.A.)

I have had a business membership with Sam's for several years. They have ALWAYS had one morning a week that was reserved for business members. It is usually posted in a conspicuous spot (it's Tuesdays here; don't know what day it is at your store. They may all be the same). IT IS ONLY ONE DAY A WEEK. You must have hit it just right on this particular trip.

You would be doing yourself a disservice by cancelling your membership over this. Look the next time you go: this info is posted! It is not an attempt to "dishonor" you as a customer. ANY non-business member is asked to leave during those posted hours. Many business owners schedule their buying trips during the posted hours in order to save time.

As for the unfriendliness of the manager: perhaps she was extremely busy. Perhaps she is hard-of-hearing and did not really hear what you said at all. I cannot imagine why she would not have pointed to the sign and explained the situation. It was not her call anyway; it is a Sam's Club courtesy to business members.