Complaint Review: Sams Club

• Submitted: Sun, September 12, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, April 02, 2011

• Reported By:Hudson New Hampshire
Sams Club
Lowell Rd Hudson, New Hampshire U.S.A.

Sams Club Ripoff Treats members like thieves Hudson New Hampshire

*UPDATE Employee: As previously stated...

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: They check employees at the door every single time, if they don't they get the boot

*Consumer Suggestion: Read your contract that YOU signed!

*Consumer Comment: Sams Clubs SO FU** UP

*Consumer Suggestion: I agree with James.. I am a police officer in the military studying to be a civilian cop, the rule is loss prevention cannot detain you. They are not law enforcement, as much as they might think they are.

*Consumer Comment: Applied equally...is not illigal or even immoral

*Consumer Comment: Understand the REAL ISSUE!

*Consumer Comment: Dead wrong The courts have consistently held time and time

*Consumer Comment: Re: Legal Rights Regarding Search at Door

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Calm down man

*Consumer Comment: Hint for Sherri: your rights end at our border.

*Consumer Comment: OH, AND JAMES.......... I guess that you would consider this a "violation of rights" as well?

*Consumer Comment: The facts..... I really dont care if they "search" my bags

*Consumer Comment: The facts..... I really dont care if they "search" my bags

*Consumer Comment: YEP, JAMES, YOU HAVE RIGHTS.. you had better find yourself a deserted island

*Consumer Comment: Apparently the club of idiotic consumers has posted en masse. Shoplifters my ass!

*Consumer Comment: SAM'S DOES IT, COSTCO DOES IT....

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Just Deal With It

*Consumer Suggestion: I have worked in retail

Question and a comment.

Is it a condition of my membership to have my cart searched every time I leave Sams Club (Hudson NH)??
Because it seems to be the policy of the store in Hudson, NH. You cannot leave this store without being stopped asked to produce your reciept and a full cart search!! I am not a thief. The searching of someones cart, asumes they have done something illeagal. As a MEMBER I find this very insulting and extremely annoying. Not only that, but on busy days it takes an extra ten minutes to wade through this search procedure.
The fact that they can't find trustworthy cashiers should not be a burden to a member. We pay to be members here and should be treated with a little more respect.
I want to know my leagal rights as to their cart search policy.

Dennis
Hudson, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/12/2004 02:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sams-Club/Hudson-New-Hampshire-03051/Sams-Club-Ripoff-Treats-members-like-thieves-Hudson-New-Hampshire-108032. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sams Club

As previously stated...

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (USA)

This is to keep prices low. Also, as a cashier, the most common thing is cashiers miss scanning an item in a large order. The door greeters catch this so the customer can be properly charged and keep your prices down. We make no money off the merchandise at all. Most companies can afford for a few hundred dollars to walk out the door.. it kills our company. We make our money off of memberships alone. The door greeter is mainly double checking the cashiers, not questioning the customer's integrity.

When someone comes through with 4 flats packed with sodas, huge boxes, cases of meat, etc. it isn't hard to miss one box or to miscount and scan something incorrectly. The door greeter is just an extra precaution for the store and to ensure you didn't get charged for too many of something. It's not like we are strip searching you. Just a brief scan of the merchandise and your receipt.

Also, you are not being violated unless they are attempting to search anything on your person... such as purses or pockets! AND it wouldn't be fair for the family in front of you to walk out with say... $100 of unpaid merchandise when you had to pay for everything, would it? Nope. Some people ARE dishonest. I've busted so many people trying to hide stuff between cases of water and soda.. because cashiers are required to move and handle every item you bring to check out. This ensures we scan it and do not miss anything! Maybe you forgot it was there, or maybe you were stealing. We don't know. We don't judge. We just ring you up, thank you, and they just make sure you were properly charged, thank you, and send you on your way. We are a club protecting our members and our product. :D

Respect for the individual is also a HUGE deal at Sam's. If you feel like you've been singled out, targeted, looked at wrong, or anything of that nature, speak to a manager!

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

Sam's Club Entrance/Exit Door greeters check employees at the door every single time, if they don't they get the boot. (Get Fired)

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Read your contract that YOU signed!

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

When you joined Sams Club you signed a contract for membership. Did you read the terms? You agreed to accept their security procedures when you put your signature on the contract. How is it Sams Club fault that you want to change the terms unilaterally?

You seem to be so concerned about the 'evil' that Sams perpetrated upon you. Have you considered that you are the person who cannot/will not live up to the terms of a contract you entered into?

Why not cancel your membership if you cant do what you promised?

Sams Clubs SO FU** UP

AUTHOR: Mythkw - (U.S.A.)

Okay i don't mind them searching my cart when i leave ..
but it really irritates me wen i shop there every week every time i enter that i have to show my card . I mean why cant they just take my word for it .. why do they have to see my damn card . I mean i wouldn't be shopping there if i dint have a card cos i d need it when i check out ..
I have to agree with James. I'm a New Yorker too and I now live in Minnesota (it sucks). Anyway, all the posts that I have seen are either from the midwest or down south, in both areas people are lax and just kinda roll with the punches. I do have a Sam's club membership and I really don't mind the check, but I can see where it bothers people. It's simple, I am a police officer in the military and I am now studying to be a civilian cop, the rule is loss prevention cannot detain you. They are not law enforcement, as much as they might think they are.

Even if they DID suspect you of shoplifting they STILL could NOT detain you. What happens is that people caught shoplifting tend to run WITH the product the LP then gives chase, tackles suspect and places them in cuffs, which opens a HUGE liability to the company because there is a proper procedure to cuffing and civilians generally don't know it.

They can confront you and ask you to give the merchandise back and also ask you to follow them into a back room, BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TOO. So, do the check it dosn't take long but if it does and you dont' want to just leave if you havn't taken anything then you are clear.

One more thing to James though, I did work in retail when I was younger and associates got checked at the end of the night when they left. I worked at JCPenney in CT and they checked ALL of our bags, so it does happen.

Applied equally...is not illigal or even immoral

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

They are protecting themselves and trying to reduce shoplifting or employee theft (by putting big $ items in carts for their friends who don't pay for them) by checking the number of items quickly against your receipt...if you pay for 2 items and you have a cartful, there's an issue. Or if no "big ticket" item shows, yet you walked away with a new PC.

That's the idea...and it brings you somewhat lower prices. Now if they pulled you aside randomly, that's one thing...but they apply it across the board wherever I've seen it done.

Get a life and quit your bitching about stupid stuff like this. Take your energy and put it into screaming about why gas prices are the bigger thief, as are cable companies and more. Cable companies can spy on what you watch by reverse feedback from those digital boxes...but you don't complain about that...do you.

Understand the REAL ISSUE!

AUTHOR: Dave - (U.S.A.)

The originator is complaining that his cart is searched everytime he leaves the store. This is a tad inaccurate... I have been a Sams Club member for 20 years or so. The car isn't searched, they count the items in the cart and compare it to the receipt. It's been that way since they opened. Everyone goes thru the process, so, if you don't like it, shop at WalMart. Simple.

Dead wrong The courts have consistently held time and time

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

Sorry Kathy. They do NOT have that right. The courts have consistently held time and time again that your purchases become YOUR sole private property at the moment "consideration is given". In other words, when the money changes hands they no longer have any legal interest in it. Feel free to look up the case law.

Furthermore, a retail establishment loses approximately 4X more to employee theft than to shoplifting. So, question for you: when was the last time you saw someone in a Walmart vest being searched on the way out of the store?

As to insults, that was simply due to the idiotic tangent she tried to take us down regarding other countries.

Re: Legal Rights Regarding Search at Door

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

Hi Jim:

Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, and just about every retail establishment in the country have every right to search anything and everything you bring into or out of the store. You see, the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (against illegal search and seizure) applies ONLY to federal law enforcement officials. It does NOT apply to private parties or companies.

This is not to say they can hit you over the head if they suspect you of theft ... but basically, you have no rights when it comes to this door look-over policy. Either deal with it, or don't shop there.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is. If you're in that much of a hurry, hire someone else to shop for you. Or better yet, get a local boy to do your shopping.

#10 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Calm down man

AUTHOR: Alex - (U.S.A.)

I have the right to tell james that he is a little hostile for an "educated discussion". She is an idiot for bringing up a point that you do not agree with? Come on man lighten up a little. No need to insult people for having a different opinion. No one has insulted you, just rebutted. You have brought up some good points but so have other contributers of the oppossing view. I hope I am never the guy at the door just doing my job if you are trying to leave, wow.

Hint for Sherri: your rights end at our border.

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

Uh, Sherri, I would think anyone with an IQ larger than their shoe size would understand that to use the rights granted to US citizens, one must be INSIDE the United States, on a US military base, in a US Embassy, etc. Apparently, in your case, this needs to be explicitly detailed, so consider it done. Likewise, please don't try to arrest all the Brits for driving on the wrong side of the road. You see, it's not the US, so they can pretty well do whatever they damn well please.

Also, I note that your idiotic replies continue to avoid the real issue in retail losses - the internal situation. Try and focus on the real issue, OK?

Finally, using your own approach, there are indeed people called "shoplifters; there are things that go "boom"; and there are also people that go "duh", and you clearly seem to be the valedictorian of that group. Tell us, did they spell your name correctly on your GED?

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

I guess you haven't done much foreign travel. There are countries that your bags and purses are searched before you are allowed IN a department store or supermarket. They are searching for nasty little things called "bombs" or "explosive devices"..they do this so the bad guys/girls don't make the store go "boom" and fall onto the good boys and girls. I guess that you would consider this a "violation of rights" as well?

It is a damned shame that Sams and Costco have to resort to checking carts..but it also a damned shame that there are so many people who have propensity to take things that they don't want to pay for. And we (the honest people) should have to finance that more than we do already?

The facts..... I really dont care if they "search" my bags

AUTHOR: Ben - (U.S.A.)

First of all I would like to say that I really dont care if they "search" my bags and such when I leave a store. Although I will be irate if they make me wait 10 minutes to do it.

As for the law in these matters, from what I have heard is this.

When you hand your cash, sign that credit card slip, or punch in that debit card number, the transaction is FINAL. PERIOD! The product or whatever is YOURS. At that point it simply becomes a matter of do you, or do you not want someone else to see it. If they want to see your recipt or items, it is totally up to you. It is yours now. Its YOUR property. They DO have the right to question and demand. But only in the case of shoplifting. If they suspect you of that, they may detain you. Of course if they are wrong, then we all know where that can lead.

It all comes down to a matter of how much hassle do you really want to deal with when you leave. If it will only take a few seconds, I dont mind. If they backup everyone at the door for 10+ minutes and refuse to let anyone pass without the check, then I will raise a fuss, ask if they are accusing me of shoplifting and deal with it as such.

So far not one store has ever gone that far. Just remember....the transaction is OVER when the money is exchanged. It is now your property and you have a right to do whatever you want with it. That includes not showing it or even hiding it outright.

The facts..... I really dont care if they "search" my bags

AUTHOR: Ben - (U.S.A.)

As for the law in these matters, from what I have heard is this.

YEP, JAMES, YOU HAVE RIGHTS.. you had better find yourself a deserted island

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

You have the right not to shop at any establishment that has policies or procedures that you don't like. I have the right to accept the policies and procedures and pay lower prices than I would in an establishment who doesn't give a damn about passing on their losses to their customers. You don't like rules or policies, then you had better find yourself a deserted island..then you won't have to deal with them.

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

Fact: Stores lose 4 times as much to employee theft as they do to "people known as shoplifters". Sooo......you may want to do the math before posting next time.

As far as the rights of the original poster, I don't think you have any because it's a membership club and those are the rules. The exception is that, if it is truly backed up and gridlocked, I have seen people walk out without being checked and basically telling them to get enough people working the door if you expect me to wait.

However, the same is NOT true at WalMart or any other normal store. You cannot be searched, your receipt cannot be checked, and you cannot be detained unless you agree to it. In any other scenario, the first words out of your mouth should be "are you accusing me of shoplifting?". If they say yes, then YOU call 911 immediately. If they say no, then keep walking.

There are indeed people known as shoplifters. And there are things in this country known as rights. Mr Bagchecker isn't about to violate mine. Maybe when these stores get there own employees under control I'll cut them some slack. Until then, get the hell out of the way.

SAM'S DOES IT, COSTCO DOES IT....

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

I would rather wait a couple of minutes while the person does a brief check of my cart versus my receipt and keep paying low prices than to have the cost of shoplifting passed on to me like I do at Safeway and other retail outlets. Get over it, or don't shop there, plain and simple.

#18 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Kris - (U.S.A.)

Most Sams clubs do not have security gates at their exit doors. It is one way they cut down on expenses. The person working the exit door is manually doing the job of the security gates at wal-mart. It is for inventory control and it works both ways. If you're accidentally double charged for an item it will be caught at the door and you will get a refund. You're not being singled out because everybody goes through it. You have you cart electronically "searched" every time you leave walmart but I don't hear you complaining about that.
If they were constantly raising prices because they let themselves get ripped off on a daily basis you'd still be complaining. Give up and get over it.

#19 Consumer Suggestion

#20 Consumer Suggestion

#21 Consumer Suggestion

#22 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Just Deal With It

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Like you said every member is searched. If they were singling you out then I could see your beef. All the membership stores search your cart and receipt before you leave. Since none of the merchandise is bagged how do they know that you didn't add it to your cart after checkout?

Also. they are also verifying that your merchandise was rung up correctly. I had a wrong item rung up on my order and it was caught by the checker at the door. It turns out I was overcharged and he walked me over to the customer service counter and got me my money back.

The alternative is to bag everything and to have the checker put stickers on items that don't fit in bags. Guess what this will mean? Slower checkout, more expense for the store which will raise ourt prices and then you will be complaining again.

A 10 minute wait at the door is worth saving money. If you want to cancel your membership and spend more money at other stores suit yourself.

#23 Consumer Suggestion

I have worked in retail

AUTHOR: Deb - (U.S.A.)

I have worked in retail for a number of years, and can offer you a reason for this so called "search" . There are some people out there known as shoplifters that would take advantage of any situation to steal from a store. Sam's is merely protecting itself by doing cart checks. Since merchandise is not bagged, a shoplifter would take full advantage and ADD ITEMS to his cart and walk out the door if there were no one there to check it. I agree that it is an inconvenience, however, if Sam's did not do so, it is almost certain that they would be hit by shoplifters more often. When that happens, a retailer may have to raise prices in order to compensate its loss. I for one would rather deal with cart checks than with higher prices.Hope this helps. If it doesn't remember YOU have the power. Get a refund on your membership and don't shop there.