Complaint Review: Samsung Electronics America Inc

• Submitted: Tue, June 03, 2008
  • Updated: Tue, June 03, 2008

• Reported By:Great Falls Montana
Samsung Electronics America Inc
105 Challenger Rd Ridgefield Park, New Jersey U.S.A.

Samsung Samsung Electronics America Inc Defective Monitor(s) and Horrible Customer Service Ridgefield Park New Jersey

I received a Samsung 204BW monitor as part of a system bought through Dell. The monitor arrived with a small dent in the upper right enclosure but other than this it worked fine. Five months later it simply would not power up no matter what I tried. Initially their service was fine and I was shipped a replacement in one week.

As I had not read the warranty fully and as I was not informed of the fact beforehand I was surprised that the replacement was refurbished. I have bought refurbished equipment before and had a good experience so the annoyance was only minor at that point. However, the replacement monitor would not work either. I even took it to a local tech support office and had them check it and they received the same result.

I contacted Samsung with the issue and they offered another replacement. I requested that I not be delivered another refurbished monitor as it would obviously already have been broken at some point and I did not want another broken monitor. No matter who I talked to I kept receiving the same canned reply, "After 90 days it is our policy to make replacements from refurbished stock." My reply to this was that nowhere in their policy did it make provision for receiving two defective monitors in a row, that I had no confidence in their product, and that receiving a new monitor would ease my concerns and probably not cost them any more than the two they had already sent.

They wouldn't budge over the phone so I sent letters to Samsung, Dell, and the BBB about the issue. The BBB replied that the issue did not fall withing the service they provided. Dell replied that beyond 30 days third party equipment was not covered by them. Samsung simply did not reply.

About one month later I received a call from Samsung asking if I had received my replacment monitor, yet. I explained the situation to the representative and he informed me that he would request that I be contacted by management to resolve the issue. A couple days later someone did indeed contact me and informed me that I would be receiving a NEW monitor and actually a similar model (206).

One week later I received an email that my monitor had shipped. A few days after that it arrived at the local UPS store for exchange. Upon my arrival the clerk brought out a box with REFURBISHED in large type across the top of the box. On the inside was the same model I already had and not the one promised on the phone conversation earlier.

I have contacted the company (yesterday) with the assuring message on their site that they respond to messages within 24 hours. I have not, as yet, received a reply.

All told, this process has been going on two months with no resolution in sight.

Cory
Great Falls, Montana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2008 08:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Samsung-Electronics-America-Inc/Ridgefield-Park-New-Jersey-07660/Samsung-Samsung-Electronics-America-Inc-Defective-Monitors-and-Horrible-Customer-Service-336907. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Samsung Electronics America Inc