Complaint Review: Samsung Telecommunications America

• Updated: Thu, March 01, 2012

• Reported By: Tim — Oklahoma City Oklahoma United States of America
Samsung Telecommunications America
1301 East Lookout Drive Richardson, Texas United States of America

Samsung Telecommunications America Samsung USA will not honor warranty, defective model, no recall, Richardson, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Lost in translation

I called Samsung to verify that Samsung Captivate through AT&T Wireless might be under warranty or re-call and offered the IEMI and serial numbers. They verified that my phone was under warranty and issued a UPS shipping label for it's return and an authorization for repair.

Several days later, an email from Samsung indicated that the phone was NOT under warranty.  When I called back and got through the first 4 transfers to different departments, I could barely understand the CS Rep, but she kept telling me that the phone WAS under warranty, but that it was NOT under warranty and they wanted $70 to repair it.  I asked to speak to someone else and she would not hear of it.

This Captivate is one of four that we own and they all have peculiar problems.  Even AT&T admitted to us that there was a "bad batch" of these models.  It re-arranges icons and program settings on it's own, shuts off randomly by itself, cannot be recognized by a PC in order to transfer files or upgrade the  Operating System.  One of my other Captivates was upgraded to Gingerbread successfully, but is now locked in Landscape Mode, even after numerous factory re-sets and also cannot plug into a PC to be recognized for file transfers or other modifications. Mini Kies is useless and these phones have some type of driver problems

Why would Samsung tell us over the phone that the phone was covered under warranty, then not be able to explain to us why it is not when they receive it.  The phones are all well cared for and look new, but I guess will go in the trash can.  Most of our phones that are other brands last for years and multiple users.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/01/2012 08:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Samsung-Telecommunications-America/Richardson-Texas-75082/Samsung-Telecommunications-America-Samsung-USA-will-not-honor-warranty-defective-model-n-846987. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Samsung Telecommunications America

Lost in translation

AUTHOR: Brian - (United States of America)

Apparently, what the CS rep for Samsung was trying to communicate to you, rather poorly I must say, is that the problem with your phone isn't covered by the warranty.  Hence, the $70 charge for repair.  As for Samsung quality, at a repair shop I used to work at back in the 1980s, we referred to Samsung as Samjunk.