Complaint Review: San Diego Zoo

• Submitted: Mon, August 23, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, October 11, 2008

• Reported By:clarkston Michigan
San Diego Zoo
http://www.sandiegozoo.org San Diego, California U.S.A.

San Diego Zoo Another family gets ripped off by the zoo San Diego California

*Consumer Comment: San Diego Zoo - the BEST I have ever been to

*Consumer Comment: San Diego Zoo is World Class

*Consumer Comment: I Hate It When Those Animals Don't Cooperate

*Consumer Comment: The zoo in Toledo, Ohio is much more interesting.

*Consumer Comment: Sorry you feel that way...

Our family took a trip to San Diego primarily to see the zoo. The cost for two days (1 day in San Diego/1 day a their wild animal park/ 1 45 min zoo safari) costs in excess of $500 for a family of four. This is quite a bit of money and you expect to see the finest zoo in the world for a price like that.

Once we got into the city zoo, we found it to be nice, but very ordinary. There were very few interesting animals and they looked very depressed in our opinion. Many of them hid out of sight during the day and the lights were so low we couldn't see them at night. It wasn't worth much.

The next day, as part of our two day ticket, we went to their wild animal park several miles north. It was much nicer, but most of the interesting animals were only really viewable from a train that runs a quite a distance from most of the animals.
It was nice, but wasn't worth much.

Lastly, we took a 45 min safari. It really only consisted of handing feeding the giraffes...which although really fun was available to all zoo customers if they went to the right place at the right time.

The real ripoff is the price of over $500. You really feel taken and the zoo really doesn't care. They got their money. This is worth less than half of that amount. A family could see a more interesting zoo in Toledo, Ohio.

We were ripped off and taken advantage of by an uncaring company.
The zoo is a big disappointment.

clarkston, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/23/2004 08:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/San-Diego-Zoo/San-Diego-California/San-Diego-Zoo-Another-family-gets-ripped-off-by-the-zoo-San-Diego-California-105074. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on San Diego Zoo

San Diego Zoo - the BEST I have ever been to

AUTHOR: Tpharry - (U.S.A.)

I have been a member of the Keepers Club at the San Diego Zoo since 1987. My young children are now members of the Koala Club. I feel the San Diego Zoo & Wild Animal Park are the best I have ever seen, and I try to catch the zoos wherever I travel.

We only get down there about once a month, but our membership is a wonderful way to support the Zoo's conservation efforts as well as show our kids some incredible sights. Walking those hills is always a great workout, too!

For our memberships, we a little over 200/yr, and get LOTS of benefits.

I am not going to debate whether or not your trip was worth the money for you; value is relative.

If anyone else reads this before they go, look at the benefits of membership at the San Diego Zoo. With what you save, and free reentry for a year, discounts on food & merchandise, you might come out ahead! The membership fees are even tax deductible!

Consider it - it's good for you, it's good for the zoo... Everyone wins!

San Diego Zoo is World Class

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

The San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park along with C.R.E.S., their research facility, is world class.

What they do to help insure species survival and the care they provide for animals is by far the best in the world.

Zoo's like San Francisco or LA. are shabby at best. San Diego not only provides visitors with an exciting environment and great learning features, but the zoo even hosts a 4 star restaurant.

I have a yearly membership and get my money's worth every year. I spend $196.00 a year for a dual membership (keepers club) and feel like it should cost more, because the money goes to such a good institution.

Please consider that the money spent was for the future survival of species that are endangered.
Besides, how could you have not had fun?

I Hate It When Those Animals Don't Cooperate

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

I hate it when those wild animals act depressed and don't cooperate. Like hiding durind daylight hours. Then you have to stay away from the real wild animals like lions and tigers and such. I suggest you go to Disneyland and see Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Pluto I'm sure these animals will cooperate much more to your liking.

The zoo in Toledo, Ohio is much more interesting.

AUTHOR: Karen - (U.S.A.)

San Diego is a beautiful place. The zoo is nice and the wildlife park is nice. But it is a ripoff for a family of four to spend two day there with a 15 safari for over $500. What other park or zoo do you know of where you have to pay that much? You expect something really nice.

Now if you live there, the cost of a season pass with several trips is probably a good deal. We are obviouly subsidizing your visits.

The zoo in Toledo, Ohio is much more interesting.
The zoo in Cleveland, Ohio is also much more interesting. The zoo in Omaha, Nebraska is more more interesting. The Zoo in Denver, Colorado is much more interesting. For far less money.

A consumer should have the right to request part of their money back if they were not satisfied.
Business who don't back their product should be avoided.

This zoo, just said "sorry, but no."

Before you spend money to go in, ask someone whos been there..as to what you're going to see or do.
Handfeeding a giraffe is fun for 15 minutes, until you realize what that brief experience cost you..not to mention that it can be done for no added charge if you read the brochure carefully.

Sorry you feel that way...

AUTHOR: Carl - (U.S.A.)

I am sorry you were disappointed with your visit to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, but it does enjoy a reputation as having one of the most complete collections and finest facilities of any zoo in the United States and probably the world. It also has one of the most successful captive breeding programs in the world. As many as 25% of the animals in zoo's worldwide were born at the San Diego Zoo or have some other connection to the Zoo and Wild Animal Park.

The cost and value of what you received are all relatively. $500 sounds like a lot, but how many family members? The safari you mentioned is pretty expensive and not that many people get to do it. You are driven around in a truck to get a closer look at the animals and obviously you got to feed the giraffes. And after all, it is a zoo, not Disneyland.

Being a native to the San Diego area, I take my family to the Zoo quite a bit and we enjoy it very much. I've been to other zoos, including the one in Washington D.C. and they didn't compare to our Zoo. And of course, there aren't to many other placed in North America where you can see pandas. However, it isn't something that I would build an entire visit around. There's plenty of other things to do and see here like Seaworld and the ocean. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your trip.

By the way, I do not work for the Zoo and I'm not affiliated with them in anyway except for the fact that my family has annual passes.