Complaint Review: San Luis Rey Auto Salvage andTowing

• Updated: Thu, June 27, 2013

• Reported By: James — Oceansie California
San Luis Rey Auto Salvage andTowing
471 N El Camino Real Oceanside, California USA

San Luis Rey Auto Salvage andTowing Astronomical Fees / Rip Off Oceanside California

*UPDATE Employee: You Have the Wrong Company!

*Consumer Comment: Consequences

My 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 truck was towed on Memorial Day of this year.   From where my truck was towed from (North El Camino Real) to their impound lot (also on North El Camino Real) was approximately half a mile at best.  Why do they have such high hook up fees?  They are charging me a $180.00 hook up fee to go maybe half a mile and on top of all of that, they are charging me a daily storage rate of $55.00.  That's totally absurd!!!  How can towing companies charge such astronomical fees and get away with it?  Aren't they regulated.  Now to date my total to retrieve my truck is well over one thousand dollars and up for sale as of July 1st. if I don't reclaim it by then. My truck is in superb condition and it was towed by Oceanside Police due to my driver license issue. The Oceanside Police officer placed a mandatory thirty day hold on my truck and at the $55.00 a day rate, it's going to be very difficult to get mt truck back.  Why did the officer place a 30 day hold in the first place?  I felt that he did not have to do that in the first place.  Taking my truck and me having to go to the DMV to get my DL reinstated should had been punishment enough.  I've written the tow company a letter asking them not to sell my truck (auction) and to work with me to reclaim my truck.  As of this writing, I've gotten no response from them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2013 12:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/San-Luis-Rey-Auto-Salvage-andTowing/Oceanside-California-92054/San-Luis-Rey-Auto-Salvage-andTowing-Astronomical-Fees-Rip-Off-Oceanside-California-1062443. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on San Luis Rey Auto Salvage andTowing

You Have the Wrong Company!

AUTHOR: Bob - ()

This report is a HOAX!  According to the information the complainant supplied, this information is false.  The vehicle he claims to have had towed, was NOT towed by our company.  We have checked our files and we have no record of that vehicle being towed to our impound yard.

Additionally, as indicated by another poster, the fees that we are allowed to charge are governed by the CHP and the City of Oceanside.  We do NOT charge $180 for towing.  We do NOT charge $55 per day storage, in fact we charge less than the allowable amount set by the CHP contract.

If you truly believe that it was our company that towed your vehicle, please contact us and provide us with the documentation.  We believe your documentation will show that it was another company that towed your vehicle.

San Luis Rey Towing

Consequences

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

Unfortunatly there are consequences when you violate the law.  The fact is that you were driving on a invalid license and got caught so now you have to pay for the consequences.   What you "think" or "feel" your punishment should have been does not really matter.

Now, I will say that your only saving grace may be the fees.  If you look at the City of Oceansides site if your car is impounded they use the approved rates from the CHP for towing.

The approved rate for the tow is between $180 and $210, since you were charged $180 you are in the valid range and really have no legs to stand on with that.  For the daily storage that is between $38 and $45 per day.  So if those rates are correct you MAY be being overcharged.  However if your truck is bigger than the average car that may explain the difference.  But even if you get charged the minimum of $38 you are still going to owe over $1000.   If you can't come up with that money by the sale date they have the legal right to sell your truck in order to recover the fees.  They don't have to give you a second chance, no matter how many letters you write.