- Report: #1056469
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Scana Energy
Scana Energy Scana Scams Internet
*UPDATE Employee: Response to your Inquiry
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
Scana disconnected my gas service due to an unpaid balance that was 49 days late. While I understand that they can disconnect after 45 days, my complaint is 2-fold.
1. The "Pay Your Bill' page on the Scana site does not reflect all charges, causing many people to miss a due date. This has happened more than once.
2. I immediately paid the past due amount plus the new bill which is not due for 3 more days. However, I was then told that I would have to pay a $75 reconnection fee plus a $150 deposit. I was also told I could not pay the $150 dollars on line as I had done with my bill but would have to pay credit card or go to a payment center and pay cash. I do not use credit cards ever, so I had to drive 20 miles to access a payment center and make the cash payment. This was a hardship for me as I am a senior citizen and physically handicapped also.
When I called back to advise Scana of the payment, they assured me they could see I had made it but they tell me my gas can't be turned on until 6 days later. I have jumped through all their hoops and done everything I was told to do but they will not budge and insist it will take the full 6 days to restore my service. I find this beyond acceptable.They claim the technicians are too booked to be able to come to Carrollton sooner, yet if they wanted to disconnect someone (or me) they would have no trouble finding time to make the trip.
In addition my husband is a cancer patient in chemotherapy treatment. Due to his lowered resistance and susceptibility to life threatening infections, personal hygiene is imperative. However, maintaining adequate personal hygiene is almost impossible without hot water to even wash his hands after using the bathroom. A simple bacteria that is harmless to the average person could prove deadly for him. If such should become the case due to Scana's uncooperative efforts to restore my service, I will be further burdened with the hardship of persuing legal recourse regarding a wrongful death situation caused by their Gestapo tactics.
Additionally, I find through an Internet search, there are many complaints from other consumers regarding these same practices and that they are happening to the same consumers month after month. I refer to the web site located at http://www.consumeraffairs.com/utilities/scana-energy.html as an example. This seems to be a moneymaking game with Scana to present inaccurate and erroneous bill info through their on-line bill payment site and charge consumers repeated deposits and reconnection fees. Due to the number of complaints I found in a 1 minute search, there appears to be a high percentage of consumers that are experiencing these shady Scana tactics.
Going forward I will not use their on-line bill pay in an effort to avoid a repeat of this scenario. But judging from the complaints I have in my possession, I will not be surprised to see a recurrence of these tactics next month on my bill and until such time as I am able to switch to total electric.
This company should not be allowed to continue to gouge consumers in this manner, especially elderly and ill consumers.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2013 08:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Scana-Energy/internet/Scana-Energy-Scana-Scams-Internet-1056469. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.