Complaint Review: Scana Energy

Scana Energy
Internet USA

Scana Energy Scana Scams Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Response to your Inquiry

Scana disconnected my gas service due to an unpaid balance that was 49 days late. While I understand that they can disconnect after 45 days, my complaint is 2-fold.

1. The "Pay Your Bill' page on the Scana site does not reflect all charges, causing many people to miss a due date. This has happened more than once.

2. I immediately paid the past due amount plus the new bill which is not due for 3 more days. However, I was then told that I would have to pay a $75 reconnection fee plus a $150 deposit. I was also told I could not pay the $150 dollars on line as I had done with my bill but would have to pay credit card or go to a payment center and pay cash. I do not use credit cards ever, so I had to drive 20 miles to access a payment center and make the cash payment. This was a hardship for me as I am a senior citizen and physically handicapped also.

When I called back to advise Scana of the payment, they assured me they could see I had made it but they tell me my gas can't be turned on until 6 days later. I have jumped through all their hoops and done everything I was told to do but they will not budge and insist it will take the full 6 days to restore my service. I find this beyond acceptable.They claim the technicians are too booked to be able to come to Carrollton sooner, yet if they wanted to disconnect someone (or me) they would have no trouble finding time to make the trip.

In addition my husband is a cancer patient in chemotherapy treatment. Due to his lowered resistance and susceptibility to life threatening infections, personal hygiene is imperative. However, maintaining adequate personal hygiene is almost impossible without hot water to even wash his hands after using the bathroom. A simple bacteria that is harmless to the average person could prove deadly for him. If such should become the case due to Scana's uncooperative efforts to restore my service, I will be further burdened with the hardship of persuing legal recourse regarding a wrongful death situation caused by their Gestapo tactics.

Additionally, I find through an Internet search, there are many complaints from other consumers regarding these same practices and that they are happening to the same consumers month after month. I refer to the web site located at http://www.consumeraffairs.com/utilities/scana-energy.html as an example. This seems to be a moneymaking game with Scana to present inaccurate and erroneous bill info through their on-line bill payment site and charge consumers repeated deposits and reconnection fees. Due to the number of complaints I found in a 1 minute search, there appears to be a high percentage of consumers that are experiencing these shady Scana tactics.

Going forward I will not use their on-line bill pay in an effort to avoid a repeat of this scenario. But judging from the complaints I have in my possession, I will not be surprised to see a recurrence of these tactics next month on my bill and until such time as I am able to switch to total electric.

This company should not be allowed to continue to gouge consumers in this manner, especially elderly and ill consumers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2013 08:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Scana-Energy/internet/Scana-Energy-Scana-Scams-Internet-1056469. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Scana Energy

Response to your Inquiry

AUTHOR: Sandra - ()

We are really sorry to hear this and would like the opportunity to review your account with you. We will be happy to walk you through our on-line services to make sure you understand the "pay your bill" option and any other suggestions you may have in reference to our on-line services.

AGL owns the distribution system and metering equipment to provide your natural gas service. The charge for the use of their system appears on your monthly statement as AGL Pass Through Charges. AGL performs all service requests for the marketers and we rely on their scheduling system for availability. There is also special consideration by AGL if there is a medical condition in the home.  I'm sorry the services were not restored in a timely manner and I would like the chance to speak with you by phone. There is a fee to reconnect the service and a portion of this fee is paid to Atlanta Gas Light (AGL) for the technician to restore service to your home and check and light your appliances.

Please follow us on Twitter, @scanaenergy, and send us a Direct Message (DM) with your information, or join us on Facebook at facebook.com/scanaenergy and send us a private message and we will contact you direct.