Complaint Review: Schwan's

• Submitted: Mon, February 20, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, June 28, 2011

• Reported By:Downers Grove Illinois
Schwan's
schwans.com Romeoville, Illinois U.S.A.

Schwan's ripoff a home delivery food service, now charges the customer $1.00 fuel surcharge! Romeoville Illinois

*Consumer Comment: It's now $1.75 delivery fee

*UPDATE Employee: Fuel Surcharge

*UPDATE Employee: Grief and Displeasure

*UPDATE Employee: Fuel Surcharge is now Delivery Charge

*Consumer Comment: I 2nd that

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Schwans is crooked

*UPDATE Employee: It's not unreasonable

*UPDATE Employee: I hate it, but I do it.

*UPDATE Employee: How to avoid $1.00 fuel charge & our pay

*Consumer Comment: An extremely happy customer

*UPDATE Employee: Husband works for Schwan's.......

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Not worth the money !!!

*Consumer Comment: What about the food itself?

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: If we knew what corporate moguls know we'd all hang-m

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Eugene Kicks Butt, Peter Butt, lmbo !!!!!!!

*Consumer Comment: Thank you Quinn

*Consumer Comment: No, Eugene, you are wrong!

*Consumer Comment: My wife used to work for ATT

*Consumer Comment: It is clearly about the dollar as you refuse to do the proper math

*Consumer Comment: An exellent suggestion

*Consumer Comment: I agree!

*Consumer Comment: ALL OF THIS DRAMA OVER A DOLLAR?

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: uh, wrong and wrong, lmbo !!!

*Consumer Comment: If Schwann's can do it, so can I

*Consumer Comment: Quinn, ever hear of discrimination?

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Carl, I dislike Schwan for larger, moral reasons.

*Consumer Comment: I dont take delivery from them anymore

*Consumer Suggestion: Variable costs.

*Consumer Comment: My 2 cents

*Consumer Comment: Read Quinn's original comment again....

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Both Chantel & Lori make excellent points.

*Consumer Comment: They chose to deliver!

*Consumer Comment: Cyd, think you need new batteries in that calculator!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: $1 Wont Break The Camels Back

*Consumer Comment: Fuel

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Go Away

*Consumer Suggestion: Surcharge is the norm

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You don't say !!!

*Consumer Comment: Get Real...

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Suggestion

*Consumer Comment: The surcharge does seem silly.

*Consumer Comment: Increased prices

*Consumer Comment: I can see her point...

*Consumer Comment: You're absurd

*Consumer Comment: Gene or Chantel...whoever is doing the complaining

*Consumer Comment: The dollar is not the issue

*Consumer Comment: It's also clearly posted on the website in no less than 2 places

*Consumer Comment: Ripoff?

Schwan's is, by the nature of their business, a home delivery food service. Home delivery is not a special saervice, it is the only way to get their food. Now however, they have implemented a $1.00 per order fuel surcharge, to each customer, even if there are 5 customers on a block, each is charged $1.00. There is no other way to get Schwan's but by them delivering - since they set their business up that way, but they have added an extra charge to their service, and do not inform customers verbally of this charge. You only see it if you get and read a reciept. (Reciepts are not always given!) The customer service department, when asked for an explanation and refund said"No refund, it's just what we do."

Gene
Downers Grove, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/20/2006 05:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Schwans/Romeoville-Illinois/Schwans-ripoff-a-home-delivery-food-service-now-charges-the-customer-100-fuel-surcharg-177218. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Schwan's

It's now $1.75 delivery fee

AUTHOR: lwos - (United States of America)

Sorry  to add fuel to the fire, but just this month ( June 2011) Schwan's REWARDED it's customers by not only raising their food prices.... but....... increasing their "HOME DELIVERY" fee by  75%  Yep, it's now $1.75 to stop by your home and peddle their now overpriced frozen food.  I called and asked why Schwans didn't send all their customers an email notice that they were raising their delivery fee by 75%.  I said you notify me when the truck will next be in my area, new foods, specials etc.....but not a WORD about this increase.  The rep said it was to offset their increase in FUEL COST.  I said HONEY, SCHWAN'S STOPS AT MY HOUSE UNINVITED, YET YOUR COMPANY HAS THE NERVE TO CHARGE ME $1.75 IF I DECIDE TO BUY A PACKAGE OF ICE CREAM?  I said, what happens when the price of gas goes down? NOTHING....that's what.  They'll keep the delivery fee the same.    So, after 15 years + of buying from Schwans, I'm through, and I told the driver that. No, 75 cents extra isn't going to break me.... but for me to pay for company's fuel fees when they want MY business is RIDICULOUS.  It would be like you driving to your local grocery store and they tack on an extra $1.75 for their semi's to deliver the food to the store and the stock boys for putting it on the shelf.

Fuel Surcharge

AUTHOR: MidMo - (United States of America)

So, you are complaining about one, easy, measly little dollar? $1?  Really?  When was the last time you ordered a pizza from Pizza Hut or Dominos?  Last time I did, the delivery charge was at least $2.50, excluding the tip!  So, really, you pay $7 for a schwans pizza, then tax and the fuel surcharge and it ends up being somewhere around $8.50-$9.50.  With any of the major pizza places, it'll be at least $12.  Now, if you wanted to include other items, the bill is going to be higher for each place.  But still, your complaining about how a person who could be doing something else with his or her day, coming to your house, in a blizzard or terrible rain storm or oppressive heatwave or the best day ever (could be spending the time with his/her kids), bringing you high quality frozen food items cheaper than a local pizza place or grocer, plus tax and $1?

Oh please.  Get a grip.  Get a life.  Do you realize that UPS and FedEx charge an even HIGHER fuel surcharge?  Get an Omaha Steak and have it brought to your door for a saturday party.  It may get there faster, but you WILL pay much more for an equivalent product from Schwans.  You are getting a steak on wednesday for $20 more a better deal when you get it on friday for $20 less and it is just as good, if not, better?  Hell, UPS Next Day Air shipments for LETTERS are easily over $20 in addition to the original product.  FedEx?  Try about $50+ for smaller packages next day, like a 4x4x4 box.

Me, personally, I'd go for something a little less costly but there in time, and cheaper too.  $1 is hardly enough to cry, bitch and moan about.  Order pizzas daily and THEN see how much that delivery charge adds up, even over just a few days from a local pizza place.

Grief and Displeasure

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

The arguement over the $1 delivery fee is petty at best, not to mention chidish. As many of you have expressed displeasure of paying the $1 delivery fee to have the best tasting food money can buy. The next time you get a bill from your doctor or even an attorney, (if they send you a itemized bill) look it over and check it out. I recently had the displeasure of paying attorney fees for a divorce and noticed my attorney charged me $40.00 for mailing a certified letter to my ex-wife. I have sent many certified letters in my days and it doesn't cost anywhere near that to send one. So, in light of that... paying 1$ for a delivery fee is just what it is...pocket change for getting great food delivered to your door-step.

I work as a CSM for Schwans and have been for the last three months. Since the posting of most of these complaints and rebuttals, Schwans has changed a few things to include the way its' CSM's are paid. We are now paid a salary but have to work our tails off to get any type of commission. Is this fair? Not for me it isn't. I was given a failing route where I barely make my weekly checkpoint if I even make it at all. I will soon have a choice to make in the next couple of weeks and I'm not sure whether I want to sign on as the CSM for this route. Why should I? there is no chance for myself or anyone else that takes this route to make any kind of commission for several years, especially with the current financial problems this country is facing. Many of my customers have told me that they can't buy from me anymore due to either the husband or wife being laid off. I live in Oklahoma and the area I live in the last several months have seen a dramatic reduction in oil and gas wells being drilled which has caused many people to be laid off indefinitely.

I will thou have to agree with some of you concerning working for Schwans. If you can help it.. don't work for them. I work like a slave and yes the pay checks are nice... but when I break it down.. for the same amount of money and hours I put in.. I could easily make just as much at McDonalds. I do miss my life and really miss my weekends off.. But on the other hand.. I do have job applications turned in at other places.. Just waiting on the phone calls.

Fuel Surcharge is now Delivery Charge

AUTHOR: Pokerqueent - (U.S.A.)

The fuel surcharge of a dollar has been renamed Delivery Charge, still a dollar. I don't really see what the fuss is about. UPS changes their charge every month based on fuel prices.

And the prices have gone up and some have gone down. That's how businesses make money to stay in business and keep their employees working so they don't have to lay them off.

I 2nd that

AUTHOR: Big Sam - (U.S.A.)

Some of Schwan's is crooked.

Some districts/regions are old school & know how Marvin started & are growing today.

Other districts/regions are filled w/ greed, incompetency, ignorance & overall idiocy.

Case in point, how long are the "Now Hiring" signs going to be displayed on the rear of the trucks? 5, 10 years? Maybe they'll be taken off when replaced w/ "Going Out of Business."

Some of Schwan's is crooked.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Schwans is crooked

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

I used to work for Schwans. I can tell you right now the company is a crooked as a 3 Dollar bill.

they cheat their employees.

don't buy from them and do not work for them.

It's not unreasonable

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

..I can't speak for the driver who delivers to your house, nor can I for his district, but as I see it, a one dollar fuel surcharge on each order is very reasonable. Most businesses face higher and higher expenditures thanks to rising fuel costs; how do they deal with it? They raise the prices of everything they carry. Schwan's refuses to do that, instead opting to be up front about the surcharge, and readily admitting it will be pulled if the price of fuel goes down. And because of this choice, the new Value Pricing has been implemented in several areas, where we've actually lowered prices on our most popular items, in order to give the customers a bit more room in their Schwan's budget to try something new.

..As to multiple customers on a street, there's no realistic way to equally distribute the cost of fuel for a trip down that street between all of the buying customers. Likewise, the average route day has between 50 and 100 customers on it. We visit every one, but on average less than half actually make a purchase on any given day. With routes that run as much as 150 miles a day, you can see how it's unreasonable to not recoup our costs at each opportunity.

I hate it, but I do it.

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

As a current employee of Schwan's Home service I have a few things to say about the $1 surcharge.

First of all, for all of you who responded and said they were not told of the fuel surcharge, that is utter bullcrap. I know for a fact that every single person who was a customer of Schwan's home service at the time when the surcharge was implemented was mailed a letter describing the new surcharge and how it applied. If you didn't get this letter that means that your address was incorrect in the handheld which was probably not your fault, but the fact remains that these letter WERE sent. Aside from have huge 72 point print on the fron over every catalog talking about the surcharge, what else would you have them do?

Second: As far as the actual surcharge is concerned I can't believe how many people are upset about it. Do you make a huge fuss when Pizza Hut or pretty much any other company delivers pizza to your door, because guess what? They charge you a delivery charge too. Now they might include it in the price of their pizza or they might have it seperate on the check like Pizza Hut does. The point is it is there, you just don't know because you don't look. You cell phone bill has vast amounts of surcharges on it and you aren't calling up your provider whining about them?

The fact is I myself hate the surcharge because I am the one who has to explain it to my customers, but after I explain it them usually tell me that $1 or $2 a month is a small price to pay for having delicious food delivered to their door.

Lastly:

Let me explain why Schwan's has the prices that they do and the surcharge. First this business of %50 buying rate is crazy, I only wish %50 if my customers would buy every time I came buy. The actual rate is much closer to %35 percent. That means 35 out of 100 customers buy on any given date. When you factor in that you are driving to all 100 of these a day which could be substantial miles and only getting $35 worth of fuel you can quickly see why this came about.

And the prices well lets think about this.

Level 1 - Farmers/Fisherman and their workers have to either raise the livestock or plant the vegtables. They take their cut when selling the raw product.

Level 2 - Transporation of raw product to suppliers, the trucking company takes their cut.

Level 3 - Supplies of finished or raw supply have to pay workers to work on the product.

Level 4 - Schwan's buys raw product from Supplier ( For example they used to buy raw chicken from Tyson meat company )

Level 5 - Transportation to Schwan's manufacturing plant from Supplier, truckers take another cut.

Level 6 - Schwan's plant workers have to be paid for their time. This includes management and so on.

Level 7 - Trucking from the Schwan's manufacturing plant to the individual depots, again another cut for the truckers.

Level 8 - Depot warehouse guys have to be paid to load the trucks everynight.

Level 9 - Maintenance cost for warehouses, depots, trucks. Insurance copays, fuel for the trucks, etc.

Level 10 - The CSM of the route is the last one to actually get paid.

Now this is an overly simplified version of the actual costs of delivering food products to someones door but I think you get the picture. Every step in the above plan adds that much more cost onto a product. Now with a retail store that process stops around level 8. These extra two levels that Schwan's has to deal with is where a good portion of the final costs comes from.

In conclusion, you can expect the costs of ALL food products to go up, retail or otherwise. Its a little thing economists like to call ... inflation. If you don't want to pay a lousy $1 every other week for some of the best tasting food you can get outside of a restaurant, then I would say fine have fun at Wal-Mart.

How to avoid $1.00 fuel charge & our pay

AUTHOR: Eric - (U.S.A.)

If you want the product but don't like the $1.00 fuel surcharge, then simple ask your CSM (customer service manager) to call up a previous customer on his hand-held computer from that day and have him put your order on that one. See, the previous customer has already paid the $1.00 fuel surcharge so all your paying is just for the product and the local sales tax.

Even better, ask your CSM to call up a non-tax business & then your final bill is even cheaper. We don't make money on the fuel surcharge or taxes. However, if your guy says he won't do it, then tell him it can be done and he just lost a sale.

As far as how much does a driver get paid? In the first couple of months, we are guaranteed $600 a week or $120 per day [some places pay $720] but then that soon disappears after you are sent to Schwan's School [3 1/2 days on how to be a better salesperson - they pay for you travel, food & motel bill] & then your pay is based only on commission of your daily sales.

For example, you sell $700 worth of food in one day & your pay is 9.0% which comes to $63 gross. However, you may work 13 hours that day [time includes pre-tripping your truck, boring sales meetings and at night with filling out paper work and making nightly bank deposits] so that comes to $4.85 an hour [$63/13]. This 9% is for the first $1000 because after that it goes to 11% and jumps about % every $1000.

$0 - 999 9 %
1901 2200 15.5%
2201 2500 16 %
2501 3000 16.5%
3001 9999 17 %

However, unless your on a route that has customers buying a lot from you, your not going to make that much. That is why you will see a lot of turn over after the guarantee runs out. Yeah, there are maybe 3 or 4 route guys at each depot location that makes between $50000 - $65000 but they are the exception and not the rule.

An extremely happy customer

AUTHOR: Clifford - (U.S.A.)

We have been using Schwann for several years and could not be happier. In my opinion their quality is excellent. Several items are the best we've ever had. The prices are high but to us are worth every penny.

I do not care if they add $1.00 to my order if it means it will help keep them in business so we can enjoy their food and door to door service.

I still miss having a Milk Man and would be willing to a pay a premium to anyone who wanted to provide that service again as well.

Don't know anything about conditions of employment except that most people are not happy in their jobs but if their employers provide what I consider a good service at a fair price I'll just worry about myself and let other folks worry about themselves.

Good job Schwann and I hope you can stick around.

Husband works for Schwan's.......

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

Gee, I wish I found this site earlier. My husband has been working for Schwan's for almost 6 months, and it has been hell. Yeah, their ice cream is good, but it seems like they are forced to do unethical things in order to make their crappy salary. Last week my husband's paycheck was $237! With a family to feed, that wasn't going to cut it. They started a "program" that requires their RM's to get 20 new customers a week, which on an established route is hard. He has to work his butt off to make that quota AND service the existing route (his average daily customers range from 95-120/day)

About the comment about arbitrarily refusing service....
HE HAD A GUN PULLED ON HIM! Did Schwan's do anything?! NO!
DRUG DEALER (it was all laying out, ready for sale)paid him with drug money.
Some *&*& up family that had 10 kids, 14 near death looking dogs and feces everywhere. The Mama made sure the kids swarmed the truck to see if they could get in an unlocked door. My husband always locks them, but geez!

It's just not working out.

The resume is ready...

and yes.... The $1 is ridiculous

#12 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Not worth the money !!!

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

Schwan's serving sizes equal half normal size. So yea, you will go hungry. Quality and taste is good and they have a remarkable variety. Schwan's Ice Cream is among the very best but there is lots of great ice cream out there at much lower prices. The largest pull to buy from Schwan's Home Service is sympathy for the route manager. I was a preferred customer for 15 years and a Schwan Depot Manager so you should expect me to be right.

I have reasons to dislike Mavin Schwan's company with a passion. My friends and family will never do business with them ever again. Please do not buy from them or work for them. It's all a heartache. I cannot say much more than that here.

All the best,

What about the food itself?

AUTHOR: Giselle - (U.S.A.)

If we can get away from the issue of the dollar for a moment, can someone tell me what is the quality and value of the actual food like? I checked their website and the prices seem really steep! And portion sizes are not mentioned. For example, chicken breast tenders with fries are like 30 bucks and there is a pic of a bowl of fries and 3 or so tenders. But they don't mention the amount you are getting, just that its enough for 4-6 people. Well, enough for 4-6 people who are dieting or enough for 4-6 hungry folks who are looking to have a meal? I don't care about the dollar charge, I am just wondering if its worth it, food/value wise, to order from these people. Is the food as good as it looks on the website?

#14 UPDATE EX-employee responds

If we knew what corporate moguls know we'd all hang-m

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

The screwy thing Eugene is that Schwan was able to anticipate the precipitous fuel increase. Schwan's trucks have never run on gasoline but propane instead and a very small amount of diesel. If I could speak percentages I'd say, when they first instigated the surcharge their cost was 20% bellow the high. Keep in mind, Schwan purchases all their propane fuel in bulk, maintaining humongous fuel tanks on their private premises.

In 1998, Schwan Enterprises was listed as 42nd from the top of the wealthiest privately owned companies in America. By 2003, Schwan rose 10 place points to 32nd. I haven't been following it but they're headed for the top #1 spot with only 8 billion dollars annual revenue. When a Schwan exec spits on the road, that spittle is worth more than any dollar, not that they ever see the road.

One last point. If you purchase from a Schwan truck away from your home. They can't charge the dollar surcharge. Against the law = )

#15 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Eugene Kicks Butt, Peter Butt, lmbo !!!!!!!

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

Eugene, this Peter guy just wants to be someone's boss, probably cause he's been bossed all his life.

Peter, your the one with the hyper rebuts so stop with this irate nonsense. This is America boy, or haven't you noticed. Go crawl back under your Schwan rock and leave consumer complaints to the professionals. Honestly, you're not helping anything or anyone other than your own pitiful ego.

As far as paying a dollar for "all your groceries" that's bunk. Many people will buy just a half gallon of ice cream for $6 and have to pay an extra dollar for the pleasure. You can pay $200 on Schwan products and still not have nearly enough to last all week long. Service charges has always been built into Schwan's product prices. Surcharges are just a brainchild to line exec's pockets and Eugene just might not want to contribute to that less than lofty pursuit. Go get-m Eugene, I'm with ya man !!!!!!!

Quinn:

You seem to know a lot more about Schwann's than I do, so I defer to your expertise. I guess my main question is since gas prices have dropped to a nationwide average of $2.18 a gallon, will Schwann's be dropping the surcharge or will they figure "Ah, hell, everybody's used to it, some people don't even know about it, let's keep it." Also, I gather Schwann's implemented the surcharge because of rising gas prices. Do you happen to know what the price of gas was when they added the tax? (Was it above or below $2.18?) In my opinion their food prices were over-inflated to begin with, and I felt this in itself reflected gas and truck maintenance.

Just curious. At this point I could care less, as I am done dealing with Schwann's. Thank you.

No, Eugene, you are wrong!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

Forget about Schwann's business model and generated income. Is it really any of your business anyway? It is pitiful that you have so much time on your hands to critique their way of doing business. To you, YES, IT IS ONLY A DOLLAR. That is how much they are charging you personally. What are you getting for that mere pocket change?? ALL OF YOUR GROCERIES DELIVERED TO YOUR HOME. How convenient!! Yes, when all those dollars add up for each and every Schwann's customer, it may seem like a lot, but then again, think how many truckloads of groceries are being delivered at the customer's convenience.

IT IS STILL ONLY A DOLLAR TO YOU, THOUGH! So get over it, find something new to philosophize about, and don't do business with Schwann's if that is what it is going to take for you to prove your point. I'm sure the next time you're lugging your grocery cart through the pouring rain from the store to your car, you'll think differently about that $1 charge for convenient home delivery.

#18 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

It's unfortunate that the administrators here at Rip-off Report.com edited my original post here. Granted it was full of unsavory facts about route manager conduct. I maintain 15 websites listing many of the disgusting details from which all Americans will understand why they must never buy from Schwan's Home Service or be employed by them.

The deep pockets of Schwan Enterprises can throw all the cutthroat lawyers they wish at me, accusing me of defamation. Problem is, falsehood must be proven and there's just too many truthful route managers for that to be accomplished.

Besides, the real assault against Schwan is through customer enlightenment. That is something that cannot be undone. My 15 websites are being replicated by many route managers who thought they had no recourse. I just happen to be the right man at the right time for the job to shine a light on what Marvin Schwan's ice cream company has become. The Internet of which Schwan's so eagerly embraced to lesson their dependency on the route manager is the very thing that will undo them.

#19 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#20 UPDATE EX-employee responds

#21 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

She answered the phone(amazing) all day, dealing with idiots who were complaining about nickels, dimes, and quarters. Amazing.

These people here are complaining about paying $1(ONE dollar) to have their groceries delivered. Amazing.

I don't worry about ANYTHING less than $100. Is $1, or less, REALLY going to upset you this much?

Good grief.

It is clearly about the dollar as you refuse to do the proper math

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

to see how the dollar is justified. All you reference is the dollar charge.
"But I know for a fact that on my road alone they deliver to at least a dozen customers. I cannot see how they can justify charging twelve dollars extra for gas to cover a delivery route that is less than half a mile long."
So how far away from Schwan's depot are you? It takes fuel to get to the area where these 12 houses are located. IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT DRIVING ON THE ROAD WHERE THESE 12 HOUSES ARE. Should people who live immediately down the street from the depot pay less? You'd have a real fit then. Should people who live farther away from you pay more? They'd have a fit. No one is going to be happy but you all will still order from them. The math has been done above. Again, if you don't want to pay, then don't order from them and go get it yourself.
The market will dictate whether the dollar surcharge is justified or not. No matter what, it's not a rip off.

An exellent suggestion

Peter:

You are (as usual) AGAIN wrong. I don't know why I bother responding to you anyway. Everyone knows you are here to push people's buttons. (sigh) All right, once more, and this time pay attention.

As I clearly stated, the dollar is not the issue. I probably lose more change in my couch cushion every day. It is the way Schwan's chooses to do business that is wrong. If they had clearly told everyone up front that they were implementing this surcharge, then most everyone would have said no big deal and that would have been it. The fact that they didn't seems to call their integrity into question.

To tell you the truth, if I lived in a rural area and Schwan's had to make a special trip just for me, I could see paying a gas surcharge. But I know for a fact that on my road alone they deliver to at least a dozen customers. I cannot see how they can justify charging twelve dollars extra for gas to cover a delivery route that is less than half a mile long.

We have been dealing with Schwan's for five years now. They stop by every two weeks and we usually buy about thirty dollars worth of food. But I have to ask, where is loyalty. If their answer to being fair and even-handed is to charge everyone the extra dollar, then I have to question their ethics. If this is but one hidden charge, maybe there are others I'm not aware of. Maybe I'm being nickeled and dimed to death and I don't even know it.

Anyway, your suggestion was a good one. If I don't like the way Schwan's does business, don't deal with them. An exellent idea! Schwan's has seen the last of me.

I agree!

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

All this drama over A DOLLAR is ridiculous! After all, you spent more than that much on that bag of chips you have your hand in, as you lounge about your mobile home all day thinking of things to complain about.

It is pretty clear that if you do not like the $1 delivery fee, then you should simply cease all business with the company. But you don't seem satisfied with that. It sounds like you want to continue doing business with them FOR FREE (aka, without having to pay the delivery fee like all the other customers).

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

Be thankful it is just a dollar. Many companies that provide delivery service charge far more than that. Our favorite Chinese restaurant charges a $2 fuel surcharge. I pay $9.95 to have my groceries delivered. A one dollar fuel surcharge is nothing to get your knickers in a wad about. Sometimes convenience costs a buck or two. Yes, Schwan's chose to deliver, but they can only deliver to those who chose to have their ordered delivered. Don't like the fuel surcharge? Don't use their services, plain and simple, end of story.

#33 UPDATE EX-employee responds

uh, wrong and wrong, lmbo !!!

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

Eugene, A loaded Schwan's truck gets about 4 mpg, so yea, it hurts. (1)They only collect the dollar from buying customers(50% buy) (2)There are no 12 customers on any street. They're lucky to have 2 customers buy if they have more than one on that street. Most of the time it's one customer an any given street who may not buy anything. 50% of Schwan's customers will waste the RM's time and no dollar will be collected. Also, all customers were sent notification. All service related issues handled by Schwan's corporate is generally handled better than anyone in the industry such as callback notifications or product change, etc. I know Schwan sucks when it comes to employee treatment and I'll warn anyone I can to avoid ever considering the route management position. Enough said.

Now for Peter. Peter says:"What you are saying is highly inappropriate". Don't lie to these good people Peter. And stop lying to yourself. And if you want to be dogmatic with me, do it to my face if you have what it takes(I wouldn't suggest it). Schwan hurt my family severely after years of sacrifice and dedication and I know how to make them pay for having done that(for every $10 taken from me, they lose a cool million). HOW DARE YOU TRY TO TELL ME WHAT MY JOB IS !!! *clears throat* Peter says:"It is YOUR JOB to deliver food and manage your accounts. It is NOT your job to make judgements". Are you talking about good judgement or bad judgement? Oh, I see, you think that managers shouldn't have the facility to judge. You want "Schwan Delivery BOYS", not managers(less expensive, less training). RM's work off 11% commission from what they can sell. That makes up 100% of there wages minus some bonus money. They don't work for tips like a delivery boy. So it's crucial for the RM to provide the best service he can to protect his wages. There's something we call "firing a customer off your route". There are criminals out there who also may want Schwan's service or even psychos, or haven't you heard that they exist? You could be one for all I know. If you were my customer and insisted in being abusive in an unacceptable manner, you would receive a verbal and written explanation for why you lost your privilege for being a Schwan customer. A copy of the letter would be posted at the depot with discussion among my associates. The point is, you would be off my route for good.

Peter says: "Do you realize that you were engaging in discrimination? Schwann's does not need discriminatory individuals working for them" *shakes head* I can tell you work for Schwan, duh. Here again, there are two types of discrimination, one bad and one good. The bad type is when you discriminate to harm unjustly yet the good type of discrimination is key to survival. Peter, it's when a decision should be made for the good of everyone. Am I talking to a 10 year old? Seems like it. I warned I shouldn't be pushed.

But let's not forget, you still work for Schwan. Your mindless babble sounds like something out of Amway !!! Leave Schwan's Home Service and get-A-life Peter. That's my message, not just to you but the world. It's Schwan's immoral treatment of its employees that is the real scam and rip-off. Stay in Pony Peter.

If Schwann's can do it, so can I

AUTHOR: Eugene - (U.S.A.)

We order from Schwann's, and I didn't find out about the one dollar gas surcharge until I read about it here. I confronted the delivery driver, who reluctantly confirmed this new policy. The buck itself is not a big deal, the way they went about it was wrong. They did not openly disclose this to their regular customers (although I'm told it is mentioned on their web site.) Also, if the driver has to make a dozen stops along the same stretch of road and he is collecting an extra dollar from everyone, that is clearly being a bit too greedy. Their trucks don't eat up that much gas. And, as previously pointed out, with gas prices now sharply dropping, can we expect to see this surcharge removed, or will it discreetly remain.

Anyway, if Schwann can get away with this, so can I. The next time I go out to a restaurant I will intentionally shortchange the waiter on the tip. My reason: Hey, it cost me gas to drive out here, and I ought to be recompensed.

Quinn, ever hear of discrimination?

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

What you are saying is highly inappropriate. It is YOUR JOB to deliver food and manage your accounts. It is NOT your job to make judgements on customers, selectively deliver food only to those whose "behavior" you like, and deny service to others. Do you realize that you were engaging in discrimination? Schwann's does not need discriminatory individuals working for them. It is best for all involved that your employment with the company has ended.

#36 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Carl, I dislike Schwan for larger, moral reasons.

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

With that said, I have nothing good to say about them.

Back when I was a route manager I would discontinue service to most customers who didn't respect me as a manager. Often, people make the mistake in thinking of Schwan Route Managers as mere delivery boys. Not the case. Like myself, many Route Managers build their routs from scratch. They are highly trained managers who deserve your respect. It's unfortunate that the customer isn't made aware of all the responsibilities of these hard working men and women. I made it clear to every Route Manager I trained that they should be humble yet firm in their responsibility to manage individual accounts for the good of the entire route system. I myself had a very low tolerance for customers who misbehaved. There are people you know who don't deserve Schwan's level of service and thinking they were born with that right which is an unfortunate problem for them.

Often I felt like warning the more abusive ones that their community at large would flog them if I made it known how they treated me. I could take as much abuse as most until they wanted to go over my head and complain to the home office in Marshall MN. That for me was always the last straw and so I would summarily drop their service. Mind you, this action was reserved for only the most abusive of my customers who had no respect for humanity in general. I've had wonderful customers drop me for reasons out of my control.

Schwan's customers are reassured that they purchase from Schwan under no contract. That maybe The best thing about them. But realize this, where as the customer can drop out at anytime just by saying, "no thanks", in turn, the customer may be dropped by the route manager as well. He/She(RM), must maintain their sense of dignity and remember their loved ones would not have them tolerate certain behavior from any of their customers. For the most part, they are highly ethical individuals with huge responsibilities working like slaves, who service on average, 1,000 customers every two weeks.

There's no need for these people to have heart murmurs just because they have to driving up to the house of an unruly customer. Drop-m! But when Route Managers find themselves's intimidated by such customers, they should find a different line of work. 2% out of a 1,000 customer base is a reasonable cull rate.

So do have a little respect. Their ice cream is the best, now that's the last good thing I'll say about Schwan's Home Service.

All the best,

I dont take delivery from them anymore

AUTHOR: Carl - (U.S.A.)

the above statement is not entirely true. I get my
pizza at little ceasars for 5.00 take out compared to other pizza parlors that charge way more. They have not raised their price in years. And in case you are wondering about extra gasoline, not. I schedule my trips accordingly. So I actually save money that way.

Schwans screwed up my order one time and I complained at like most large corporate companies never responded back either over the phone or email and I told the driver I am sorry but since they did not respond I am no longer interested in your product.

I would spend about a 100.00 per week. Go add that up and tell me how much they lost from me?

#38 Consumer Suggestion

Variable costs.

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Sometimes,when you have a significant cost that is highly variable,it makes more sense to charge a surcharge than to have to continually change the all of the prices.

You should always ask for the total price to confirm what you will have to pay.If the total is not what you expect,ask for an itemized list of charges.

It is just as much your responsibility to understand as it is their responsibility to explain.

Don't make such a big deal about a dollar.
Now that you know,you can make an informed choice about whether you want to use their service in the future or not.And,you can always request a receipt.This is not a ripoff.

My 2 cents

AUTHOR: Nicole - (U.S.A.)

Or $1, whatever.

The reason they raised food prices was because their food costs went up. Anyone who compares grocery prices from a year ago to today will see that your food costs have gone up too.

The reason they charge a fuel surcharge is to cover the cost of fuel. Should it be a dollar? Maybe not. Maybe fifty cents would suffice.

As for the cable company, the taxis, the utility companies, the phone companies, ect, they DO charge you extra now to cover the costs of their fuel. They just do not call it a fuel surcharge, they simply raise their rates (on items they sell that have not had their prices upped by the market...wow that is a complicated sentence, sorry).

Now, I am not saying it is right, but it is the way of the world If you don't like it, don't buy. Problem solved!

Read Quinn's original comment again....

To quote Quinn....

"Schwan's 7,000 trucks services 3 million homes every week, out of which, some 150 million make a purchase. Now that's 150 Million dollars extra from that measly one dollar bill."

Half of 3 million is 1.5 million, not 150 million.

My math skills are just fine thank you. You might want to check your reading skills before you make a comment.

Quinn did provide the correct figure in a later comment.

#41 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Both Chantel & Lori make excellent points.

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

The real strength in Schwan's Home Service isn't it's service or products but rather the sentimentality of its customers. I have seen customers cry for losing there Schwan's man. And this Schwan's man has cried over the passing of customers whom I loved. I think back over the thousands of people who welcomed me into their homes and hearts, so wanting me to succeed. God knows them well and not just because I prayed for them but because they are His children.

God bless you all,
P.S. I use Quenn as a pin-name. They know who I am.

They chose to deliver!

AUTHOR: Chantel - (U.S.A.)

I think everyone has lost sight of the original thought. They could charge $1, $5 or 5 cents surcharge - the point is, they chose to sell food out of trucks. They knocked on my door and left a catalog. I didn't ask them to deliver. If they had a store, I'd happily go there - they don't. If you want their food, they deliver it on their truck. That said - didn't they know that the price of gas fluctuates when they set up their business plan? If electric costs go up, do Target and K-mart charge you $1 to use their electric doors, because after all, their price to open and close the door went up? Ridiculous, right? But a home delivery based business charging more because gas went up is okay? Also, gas here went back down - I haven't checked, but I'll bet you the surcharge hasn't been removed has it?!

Cyd, think you need new batteries in that calculator!

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

Do the math again, and you will find that Quin is correct. Now try this for math.... If it costs $1.1 million per week in fuel charges )as figured by another poster), and they bring in $1.5 million per week in surcharges (approximation by Quin), that works out to nearly $21000000 in additional revenue PER YEAR for the company. That also means that they have no fuel charges attributable to a business that works out of trucks! In doing this they are setting an example for other service based businesses to do the same. If the phone company, cable company, electric company etc. starting charging the same $1.00 per trip, added on to your bill, you'd hear some MASSIVE complaining from the masses. What ever happened to 'the cost of doing business'?

I'm one of the few 'large order' customers, with purchases between $120-$275 per trip. I object to the surcharge because they DID raise the prices of the food at about the same time. Now, I'm paying more for the food, PLUS the surcharge. If they had raised every food item price by a nickel, then at least the cost was spread more evenly across the board. Why didn't they do that? Because THERE WAS NO PROFIT IN IT! I purchase an average of 12-15 items, the average sale is 2-3 items. Do the math on that one LOL

I'll continue to buy from Schwans, at least for now. If the prices continue to climb, I'll continue to cut back, until I decide to pick everything up at the store. Just like every bad habit, it's hard to give up cold turkey.

#44 UPDATE EX-employee responds

$1 Wont Break The Camels Back

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

Routes very greatly in distance driven. My experience tells me it's between 50 to 100 miles per route day. Schwan owns the patent to the gas to propane conversion apparatus so they use propane. most of Schwan's business is rural. The dollar surcharge was well implemented and necessary. I'm not even sure why I'm in this debate other than to say, Schwan as a company has developed grave moral problems of which I'll not be discussing here.

I will mention, I've been in the past, not only an LGM over the largest customer base in the company but a preferred customer for over 15 years. I have trained dozens of route managers with close working associations of some 2 dozen other LGM's in several states.

The Achilles heel for Schwan Enterprises is the paranoia of its law department due to its heady liability from doing business both on and inside private property. No matter how you slice it, Schwan's Home Service is a dinosaur whose day of extinction is close at hand while its international frozen food operations is well entrenched. You can count on Schwan to sacrifice its slave like workforce and ditch its original mission. Remember, it's privately owned. They're forced to disclose nothing.

Fuel

AUTHOR: Nicole - (U.S.A.)

If Schwans has 7000 trucks and they pay $2.75 for gas (national average) and each truck drives 1000 miles a week (to and from homes, waiting at lights, around the city ect) and gets 10mph (big trucks get less milage) They pay 1.9million in fuel a week. Even if they only go 600 miles a week (100 miles a day) they still pay $1.1 Million a week in fuel.

That surcharge barely covers the cost of their fuel. Just imagine how much more you would pay to go to them, or to the store. Even if your order is $32, and extra dollar should not hurt you. If it does, you should not be ordering food from Schwans (its 3% by the way).

Best of luck to you!

#46 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Go Away

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

Each route maintains different averages. The national purchase average is $32.

At 90 customers per day ~ times 5 days per week ~ times 7,000 trucks = 3,150,000 ~ divided by 2(expected purchase rate)= 1,575,000 ~ times $1, here again = $1,575,000.00 weekly fuel surcharge.

I'll layout Schwan seven-ways-to-Sunday if you push me. You have no idea !!!

It's proposed that Schwan Enterprises will soon dissolve its home service division given the negative liability environment. As the largest brand name, frozen food producer in America, it has no qualms doing just that.

Sorry, the going advice is for all route managers find other employment, fast. In short, Schwan's Home Service no longer intends any job security for its employees.

AUTHOR: Cyd - (U.S.A.)

I think you need to take a closer look at your numbers... Schwans is in no way making $150 million extra each week from their dollar surcharge.

If they have 7000 trucks as you state, then each truck would have to sell to 3571+ homes/per day (based on a 6 day work week). Even at 3 million homes per week, they would have to visit 71+ homes/per day. That does not include the homes that do not purchase that week. Add to all those homes the drive time and time to process the order and collect payment and I have to say, NO WAY!!!!.

Your position on whether the surcharge is fair or not does not get taken seriously when you exaggerate your numbers to make it look good.

I personally averaged around $50 per order when I ordered from them (its been a few years. I think that based on the increased fuel prices a dollar per order is really fair. Many companies have added a fuel surcharge to the cost of deliveries to offset the cost of fuel. FedEx charges a fuel surcharge to deliver and because I have an account with them, I usually do not have the specific amount until I receive the bill. I don't complain, because the cost is minimal and I don't expect them or any other company to lose money due to increases in the cost of doing business. All increases are passed on the the consumer one way or another...

Complain about the oil companies who have obviously increased prices far beyond any increased costs they have incurred. This is evident as most are posting record earnings lately.

#51 Consumer Suggestion

Surcharge is the norm

AUTHOR: Christine - (U.S.A.)

I don't have any dealings with Schwanns, however I just noticed today that my drycleaner is now charging us a $1.00 fuel charge for picking up our drycleaning at my office and dropping it off. It would probably cost me more to drop it off and pick it up.

#52 UPDATE EX-employee responds

You don't say !!!

AUTHOR: Quinn - (U.S.A.)

I'm an ex-Location General manager. The national purchase average per Schwan customer is around $32. So stuff about $150 orders. They're very rare. If out of 100 customers a route manager receives 3 $100 orders he's lucky. The rebuttals here are absurdly rude and uncalled for.

Earlier it was said that the additional dollar shouldn't be noticed due to the cost and time of grocery store shopping. Ha! Weight it against Schwan's premium prices. Also, Schwan's 7,000 trucks services 3 million homes every week, out of which, some 150 million make a purchase. Now that's 150 Million dollars extra from that measly one dollar bill.

I used to bristle when anyone would say, "I'd never buy off a truck". Guess what??? Me neither!!!

Get Real...

AUTHOR: Legal - (U.S.A.)

Everyone that is b*tching about the cost of fuel surchage. I bet it costs you more in time and gas money to go to the store and get your own groceries than it does to pay the $1.00 for fuel that Schwans is charging. People are just cheap, the cost of living is going up, if you are not ready for it, I suggest that you go find a cave somewhere and learn to hunt and fish for your own food, make your own clothing, walk everywhere, etc.....

#54 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Suggestion

AUTHOR: Dawn - (U.S.A.)

As an ex-employee of Schwan's, I am well aware of the issue regarding the $1.00 fuel surcharge. I was in the same building as the route manager and I had to pay the fee even though they didn't drive to get my order. Every employee has to pay the surcharge. It's all the cost of doing business.

My suggestion is to get with your neighbors and enter only 1 order. The route manager gets paid on the total dollars he sells, not how many customers purchase. This way each person could take a turn paying the surcharge.

As far as getting items less expensive, yes, there are many other places to get pork chops at a lower cost but, is the QUALITY the same for the less expensive items? Even though I no longer work for Schwan's and I no longer receive the employee perks, I still purchase the same products I always have.

The surcharge does seem silly.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

Instead of charging a dollar extra, they should raise the price of each item by a nickel. That way, they could recoup even more of their expense and quiet down the people who would grumble over a dollar at the same time. The only way this report is valid is if they are delivering on bicycles.

Increased prices

AUTHOR: Giselle - (U.S.A.)

The food price increases are probably due to the cost of FOOD increases. Makes sense, eh! For example, if I am a deli and my tomato, pork and napkin suppliers raise their prices, then it stands to reason that I will have to raise my deli prices as well. Food prices can't stay the same forever, you know. Everything is based on supply and demand. Eons ago, I worked at a pizza delivery place while trying to put myself thru college. Due to market changes, the cost of certain vegetables and meats went up. The pizzeria had to adjust menu prices accordingingly. Do you think the owners wanted to do that and listen to customers whine and moan and threaten to never return? (the answer is no, obviously)

The $1 food delivery charge is most likely for fuel costs. ITS NOT UNREASONABLE!!!

I can see her point...

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

As a regular Schwans customer, purchasing in excess of $100. per trip, I also have a problen with a fuel surcharge, which is IN ADDITION to the increases in prices. If you're going to deliver to me, and depend on my purchases for your paycheck, then WHY should I have to pay a surcharge? Look at it this way, you can always stop coming to my home, I can stop purchasing your product and while I can go somewhere else for my food, YOU have lost the commission on the sale at my home.....hmmmm, does this make sense? You're going to drive by my home anyway to go to the next sale, but now you've lost a MAJOR commission because of your surcharge.

Schwans day is tomorrow, and it's looking like this week we aren't needing anything.

L

You're absurd

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

I think the dollar was the issue. Why would you actually call customer service for a buck and then take the time to piss and moan about it on a web site?

Trader Joe's does have great food at better prices, however, THEY DON'T SHIP OR DELIVER. So why compare Schwans against an establishment that does not deliver. For example, I just got a shipment from Omaha Steaks. They charge $19.99 to ship via UPS on dry ice. I think that's pretty reasonable. A buck to have food brought to your door is outstanding.

Why don't you go back to Wal-Mart. You'll be much more comfortable there.

Gene or Chantel...whoever is doing the complaining

AUTHOR: Pete - (U.S.A.)

Contact your local 'Meals On Wheels.' They don't charge $1 for gas.

The dollar is not the issue

AUTHOR: Chantel - (U.S.A.)

Those who asked my problem obviously did not read my comments well. I was upset that I was not informed of the charge. I did not visit the website prior to ordering, in person, from the delivery person, nor should I have had too. ALso, my order totaled $15.00, not $150.00, so $1.oo is a large percentage to be charged. In addition, my point was, Schwan's has set themselves up as a home delivery business. This requires using fuel. If that is a problem for them, I don't feel it should be passed on to their customers. They have raised prices on the food quite a bit, so to say this charge will prevent that is ridiculous. All I asked was to be informed of a charge before being charged - as the salesman should have done. They can keep the dollar, that was not the issue - the fraud was. They can keep their food too, I've found better, less expensive meals at Trader Joe's.

It's also clearly posted on the website in no less than 2 places

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

The surcharge is clearly posted in 2 places on the website. Once on the 'Check Out' Button: Price before taxes and $1 fuel surcharge.* See details below.

And once at the bottom:

Although we have been pleased to offer you free delivery in the past, in an effort to offset rising energy costs without major price increases while continuing to provide you with the same level of service, the company has implemented a $1 fuel surcharge on most orders which will be added at the time of delivery.

So what's your problem?

AUTHOR: R - (U.S.A.)

Are you really complaining over a lousy dollar? In case you haven't noticed, the price of gas has gone up a lot over the last year. A buck is pretty cheap considering the food is brought right to your door and they have an outstanding selection of food.

Also, I can't see a Schwans order being any less than $150 so this represents abot 6/10ths of 1% of the cost of the order.