Complaint Review: Seacret

• Submitted: Mon, December 13, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, December 14, 2010

• Reported By: notforstalkers — los angeles California United States of America
Seacret
2619 E. Chambers Street Phoenix, Arizona 85040 Redondo Beach, California United States of America

Seacret Overcharged, used aggressive sales tactics, and has rude owner! Redondo Beach, California

*Consumer Comment: Consumer 101

A family member of mine stupidly bought a nail kit from the Seacret kiosk at the South Bay Galleria in Redondo Beach, CA.  I saw the receipt and it said 69.99 for a nail file, lotion, a buffer block, and cuticle oil.  If this wasn't ridiculous enough, their company online site is selling the product at 49.95, with retail at 59.95!  Obviously this was a rip off, and illegal!

I called the weights and measures department to file a complaint, then called the mall management to complain.  I was forwarded to the owner of the kiosk.  He was very rude!  I explained to him how he over charged my family member, and his response was it's because he has workers and rent to pay and since he's only selling the product and doesn't work for Seacret, it's okay for him to charge whatever he wanted to compensate for his costs as a distributor.  I told him he owed me money because he overcharged and it's illegal.  He said he I can say whatever I want but he doesn't owe me a thing.  But he did agree to a 10.00 refund, after some 10 mins of arguing.

He claimed his company was called "La Pacifica".  There was no such company when I searched the Better Business Bureau and google showed a company in LA with that name, but when I called, some ghetto sounding woman answered the phone "hello" with noise in the background.  How many businesses do you know of that says "hello" when you call them?!

Anyhow, I hope I get my refund.  If not, I hope the Weights and Measures inspector can fine them or otherwise get them into trouble.  I'm pissed off they took advantage of my family member.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/13/2010 07:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Seacret/Redondo-Beach-California-/Seacret-Overcharged-used-aggressive-sales-tactics-and-has-rude-owner-Redondo-Beach-Ca-671192. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Seacret

Consumer 101

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

""Obviously this was a rip off, and illegal!"

"I told him he owed me money because he overcharged and it's illegal."

Just because you have a family member that was dumb enough to pay more than something was worth does not mean the transaction was "illegal".   A merchant is free to charge whatever the gullible public is willing to pay.   Your relative's stupidity is not his problem.

Since you're hung up on the legality of this transaction, exactly which law did this particular merchant break?