Complaint Review: Sears And Roebuck

• Submitted: Tue, November 16, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, November 16, 2004

• Reported By:Nenzel Nebraska
Sears And Roebuck
PO Box 182156 Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

Sears And Roebuck Ripoff, incompetent accounts staff Columbus Ohio

I made a large payment to my Sears credit card account in September. On my October statement, the amount was deducted from my balance but I noticed on my bank statement that the check had not come through the bank nearly a month after it had been posted to my Sears account. Yesterday I received my November Sears statement and the amount was added back on to my bill with a notation of returned check. Of course I called my bank right away to find out if the check had been through because I knew I had sufficient funds and if I hadn't, I would have received a notice from the bank. The bank informed me that the check did come in on Oct.4th but that Sears had failed to endorse the back of the check and so it was returned to them for that reason.

To try to make a long story short, I have spent the better part of the day and talked to two customer service representatives and two managers about this. I have been told that my check was returned by the bank but they didn't know why, I have been told that my check had been "thrown away" and that I was supposed to send another one,(Yeah like I would do that!). The first manager I talked to told me that it would be taken care of in about 2 billing statements and the finance charges dropped, but after I talked to her I got to thinking, Sears received the check back over 3 weeks ago (Oct. 25th they said) so why hadn't it been endorsed and sent back through before now?

The second manager I got when I called back told me that they only send large checks through once. Then they are held for who knows how long and eventually shredded. I would have to send another check. Excuse me? The check was returned for lack of a Sears endorsement on the back! Yep that's right, they won't send it back through. I can't get it through their heads that there was nothing wrong with the check, it's their fault it came back, why can't they just endorse it and send it back through?

Now she asks me if I would like the check sent back to me? I said I was told that it was thrown away. No, she will send it back to me, should take less than 2 wks. and then I can write another check, send it to Sears, and I have to call them to make
sure that they get it and go through the whole story again because they won't take the finance charges off until it clears and I explain the whole thing to them again.

I'm comfused, this is causing me so much trouble because they can't do their job?

Nenzel, Nebraska

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/16/2004 02:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Sears-And-Roebuck/Columbus-Ohio-43218-2156/Sears-And-Roebuck-Ripoff-incompetent-accounts-staff-Columbus-Ohio-118221. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Sears And Roebuck